VOGONS

First post, by OtakuN3rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons,

Yesterday I ended up with a large amount of older PC hardware parts and pieces. In the lot is several proprietary motherboards - most with their respective riser cards. I am wondering what the heck to do with 'em. I don't have cases for them, and have plenty of other hardware to play with, and limited time/fabrication resources to homebrew cases for them.

There's 5 HP motherboards (two different models), all slot 1, and four of them have their risers. There's one Compaq Socket 7 motherboard, and one DEC Socket 7 board, plus a riser board from an Acer computer.

Would these be pretty much e-waste, or is there enough of an interest that they are worth saving/selling? I hate to see them end up in the trash/recycling, but I don't want to go through the effort of getting shipping supplies listing them on eBay only to have them not sell. I'm not looking to make money off of them, but I don't want to sell them so cheap as that it end us up costing me money to ship them out, either.

In case someone is curious, the other things I got in the big lot of parts are about 60 different expansion cards, some early 90's SCSI CD drives, and a couple more standard form factor motherboards. The cards are mostly ISA network cards (No less than 22 of them are 3Com Etherlink III cards). I suppose some of the more interesting ones are a few Aztech OEM sound cards, three VLB video cards (a Trident and two Cirrus Logic), and a bunch of various controller cards ranging from a single RS-232 port to VLB I/O cards with bunches of various ports. Unfortunately, what may have been the most interesting motherboard in the lot was destroyed by battery leakage. It was a dual socket 8 (Pentium Pro) board. 🙁

Attachments

Last edited by OtakuN3rd on 2021-11-15, 20:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How proprietary is "proprietary"?

The only proprietary board in that pic is the big one at the back. The rest are either LPX (single I/O row, riser in middle) or NLX (dual I/O row, riser on edge) standard boards. Neither were popular in retail (although I found a generic LPX desktop case a few years back), but you can generally mix&match boards between OEM systems, so long as the risers (which are generally NOT interchangeable between cases) match the boards - and most within the same generation will be similar, so most Pentium 1 LPX boards will have a PISA slot for the riser. So you can replace dead boards in OEM systems, or up/downgrade them.

Reply 3 of 18, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm always interested by HP Vectra parts, especially Socket 7 and Slot 1 motherboards. That would have interested me, but from the USA to Europe, shipping is expensive and importation taxes recently increased making such a transaction not really interesting. That's sad 🙁

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 4 of 18, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-11-15, 13:39:

How proprietary is "proprietary"?

Proprietary PSU plug only for this machines, custom size and no holes (the motherboards slide in rails and are then locked by a lever making them very easy to plug in and plug out). And the riser connectors are proprietary too, some are the full length of the board, some are just the half working like an expansion card, and some are with a series of pins like IDE but a lot bigger. So no LPX or NLX for the HP ones here.

Edit: Looking more closely at the shot, the three staked boards seems not made for HP Vectra computers, maybe they are not HP at all. They have holes for hooks and look like NLX motherboard indeed. I'm reading NZM-6120 on the one on top and HP motherboards from the era have a part numbers following one of the pattern: XXXX-XXXX or YXXXXY with X being a digit and Y a letter.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 5 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can probably sell them on eBay. I wouldn't just bin them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 18, by OtakuN3rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably get them listed on eBay when I get the time and see of they sell. I have plenty of other boards to play with, so I don't really need these.

The stack in the middle are labeled with KZM-6120, which is apparently made by FIC and used in some HP Vectra systems. The ones on the right have HP logos in the solder mask, the one on the left has Compaq branding, and the big one in the back is the DEC board.

While I am aware that LPX is a "standard," it is very loosely specified. Additionally, from what I understand, the HP boards here would be NLX, which is a little better defined than LPX, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't have any cases for them.

I do have two Packard Bell LPX cases, but the Compaq board here is too tall for either of them - In fact there were two Packard Bell LPX boards in the lot of parts that I am going to try to play with. One fits in one of the cases, but the other is missing its riser. I am going to hang on to it for now to see if I can get my hands on a riser for it that fits my second PB case. Both of my PB computers were 486's, but the boards were to far gone from battery leakage to salvage. One of the PB boards I got last weekend has a 486 DX2-66 in it (no voltage regulator, unfortunately), and the other is a Socket 5 board with a Pentium 133 in it. Neither have Varta batteries, so there is lots of promise that they will be usable. (The Socket 5 board is the one missing the riser.)

Reply 7 of 18, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OtakuN3rd wrote on 2021-11-15, 20:13:

The ones on the right have HP logos in the solder mask

Definitely! They are HP Vectra VE or VL motherboard I think. I'm a collector of this machines, that is why this two boards interested me at first. I have some similar motherboards as replacement parts, but because there is a lot of different models, having more is still good 😉

OtakuN3rd wrote on 2021-11-15, 20:13:

The stack in the middle are labeled with KZM-6120, which is apparently made by FIC and used in some HP Vectra systems.

That's strange. But the Vectra line continued a few years after the acquisition of Compaq and cost reduction where made, these machines were nothing compared to the original Vectra/Kayak so it is possible that is a P3 motherboard from a late Vectra. I don't have any and I don't want any.

Last edited by Datadrainer on 2021-11-15, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Put them on ebay for people trying to fix their old computers

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 9 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like using them for testing dodgy hardware that has the potential of killing other parts. I'd cry if I busted my Asus P5A board, but an unknown compaq board? thats fine.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, dump the bios!

I have a Compaq 425 thats limited to 1gb hard drives, but I know there exists an updated bios that bumps it to 4.8Gb

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a poty in that bernum?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 18, by OtakuN3rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dataino.it wrote on 2021-11-15, 22:36:

Post a good pic https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/ need continuous update
if u can dump bios is the best

they will have been useful for something.

I'll see what I can do. I don't think I have the equipment to dump the BIOSes unless they're DIP chips. (I have a mini pro, but no socket adapters)

Reply 14 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OtakuN3rd wrote on 2021-11-15, 23:27:
dataino.it wrote on 2021-11-15, 22:36:

Post a good pic https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/ need continuous update
if u can dump bios is the best

they will have been useful for something.

I'll see what I can do. I don't think I have the equipment to dump the BIOSes unless they're DIP chips. (I have a mini pro, but no socket adapters)

Many flash utilities can read the bios.

Chip programmers are easier though, pop it out, type in the chip and read and save. But if you have good dos floppy you can get it that way also. Though I hate having a glitchy floppy in the chain of custody

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 15 of 18, by OtakuN3rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I almost forgot about all the utilities that come on Hiren's / Falcon Four. I guess I can give that a shot when I test out the boards that I am able to test, some of the boards have what looks to be proprietary power connectors.

Reply 16 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently had to flash a board without a chip programmer and no floppy drive and no windows flashing support. I booted to hirens and used whatever version of awdflash or some flash utility that was included with the bios on jan’s website. Worked great!

but for saving bios, just boot to hirens mini xp and use cpu-z I believe it has a bios save option

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 17 of 18, by OtakuN3rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-11-18, 20:09:

I recently had to flash a board without a chip programmer and no floppy drive and no windows flashing support. I booted to hirens and used whatever version of awdflash or some flash utility that was included with the bios on jan’s website. Worked great!

but for saving bios, just boot to hirens mini xp and use cpu-z I believe it has a bios save option

That will probably work for the Slot 1 boards, but I don't know if I want to try Mini XP on a Pentium... That's where the Dos utilities will come in, my plan was to rip them out and make a custom boot disk. I have a Dos 6.22 machine up and running and I can make a minimal boot disk with just the BIOS utility on it.

Hopefully I'll have some extra time to tinker with this stuff over the holidays. For the moment, I am posting this during downtime at work...

Reply 18 of 18, by OtakuN3rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a small update....

I had a chance to play with the KZM-6120 boards for a brief moment this evening. They are from an HP Vectra Vli 8SF machine. BIOS files, drivers, and documentation are already available over here.

Of the three boards, I found one that seems happy in POST, one that seems to have a dead PS/2 mouse port, and one that is completely dead to the world.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at the faults. I also sorted through 22 different 3Com EtherLink III NICs that I got in the same lot of hardware and found that all but three of them were broken. (I'm told this stuff was from an ISP that went out of business years ago.)

I am going to call it a night for now. We'll see what other trouble I can get in to over the holiday weekend. Happy Thanksgiving!