VOGONS

how tough is 286 processor

Topic actions

First post, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Got a 286 motherboard, baby at. Was somewhat corroded from a varta.Cleaned ok but some traces are dark in some spots.

Was wondering if you put the processor in a PLCC socket couple times the wrong way. Is the processor tough enough to survive and finally when its the right way its heating up quite alot.

It was sold as dead but it was also missing an oscillator so i thought maybe thats the problem, untill i went cleaning the corrosion and putting the cpu backwards, it stayed cool when it was backwards and 5v goes to memory and cpu and the oscillator, isa slot too but it doesnt even beeb. Cpu gets hot when in correct orientation.

Can a 286 cpu survive few times backwards insertion? I know thats not supposed to happen but when you are excited enough 😀

Regards Mika

Reply 2 of 24, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In some cases there´s a forced shorting of the core-voltage with ground when the chip is inserted the wrong way, so the PSU just won´t start up and no damage is done.

I have no idea if that´s the case here.

Reply 3 of 24, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I heard a 286-16 kicked Chuck Norris's butt at Battle Chess once, but electrically, I dunno, not quite as tweaky as later CMOS so if it didn't let out the magic smoke, you might have a shot.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-11-19, 18:18:

Well I heard a 286-16 kicked Chuck Norris's butt at Battle Chess once, but electrically, I dunno, not quite as tweaky as later CMOS so if it didn't let out the magic smoke, you might have a shot.

WOW! That is AMaZInG!. Who'd a thought the brain dead cpu could do that ah.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-11-19, 18:39:

CPU has nothing to do with it... It would have been the Chess program logic.

Other than how long it takes the CPU to be able to execute the code, and thus "decide" the moves, there is no real advantage for faster CPUs except that the human opponent may have more time to think about their next moves.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-19, 19:35:

Other than how long it takes the CPU to be able to execute the code, and thus "decide" the moves, there is no real advantage for faster CPUs except that the human opponent may have more time to think about their next moves.

You really don't have a sense of humor do you Big Rooster?

I suggest you pop down to the $2 store and buy some 😉.

Reply 8 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i fitted a TurboChip x586 cpu in the wrong in a 486 and it didn't post. I turned the system of and fitted the x586 cpu the correct way around and it booted right up. Appeared to be slower than the 486DX2/66 it was ment to replaced. I suspect I killed the L1 cache on the x586 cpu.

Reply 9 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've put CPUs in the wrong way before. I guess it depends which way you put them in. Some wrong ways will kill it and others not. I've managed to shatter one PGA, and pop two plastic package CPUs with the wrong orientation. But, I've also had CPUs put in the wrong direction which simply didn't POST and worked normally afterward.

For older 286 CPUs using NMOS technology, getting really damn hot is normal. It it's 12MHz or faster it's likely CMOS and should run a bit cooler.
I'd have to see your board to tell you if the missing oscillator or crystal is causing problems. 286s usually use at least two of them, sometimes more. You have one for the main system clock, and one for the OSC signal used by some ISA cards and other parts of the motherboard. These two are the most important, so if you're missing these then the system likely won't turn on. If the missing oscillator is for running the NPU in async mode, then it shouldn't make a difference. There are also some boards that use yet another oscillator for the ISA clock if run in async mode. Those are usually soldered in place though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 24, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a mistake and put a 80186 in a 286 socket.
Wasn't booting so I tried a second time.

Board was fine, cpu I have no 186 board to test it in.
No smoke, just hot but not enough to remove my finger (around 45°C).

The other 286s were hot but like above.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 11 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NMOS 286 get really toasty in normal operation, CMOS ones are much less hot but still hot enough that I would not consider running them without a heatsink.
I have not had a 286 put into the socket wrong way so I don't know what are the odds of it surviving such a stunt but probably pretty low.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12 of 24, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do this with 4116 ( 3 supply voltages!) please please.

In my youth I did this several times, and if I remember correctly, Hitachi chips were outstanding... if the chip survived, it was usually a Hitachi.

Reply 13 of 24, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-11-20, 11:56:

I've put CPUs in the wrong way before. I guess it depends which way you put them in. Some wrong ways will kill it and others not. I've managed to shatter one PGA, and pop two plastic package CPUs with the wrong orientation. But, I've also had CPUs put in the wrong direction which simply didn't POST and worked normally afterward.

how do you manage to keep fucking that up over and over 🤣

need glasses?

Reply 14 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope. Drinking on the job.
Considering I only killed 3 CPUs (actually 2 CPUs and one FPU) over the course of 25-30 years, I'd say my track record isn't too bad.
You have to keep in mind this was back in the olden days when stuff was free or really cheap.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-11-20, 01:50:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-19, 19:35:

You really don't have a sense of humor do you Big Rooster?

I suggest you pop down to the $2 store and buy some 😉.

Hah! I wasn't sure if it was meant to be funny or not.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 24, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hah, good humor there. I did write an answer before but i guess it went somewhere. Here's a pic of the mobo and i did put a 24mhz crystall in it for a 12mhz processor but nothing is alive. Anyone has a 12 or 20 mhz processor in need of a job 😀

https://ibb.co/3spnsWC

Reply 17 of 24, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kohellus@gmail.com wrote on 2021-11-20, 16:42:

... i did put a 24mhz crystall in it for a 12mhz processor but nothing is alive. ...

Always upclock in small increments... eg 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, ... and watch chip temperatures and do some stability tests before you decide that the next step could still be functional.
In my experience it is usually not the processor but the chipset which dies first by a clock too high.

Reply 18 of 24, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have an analyzer card put it in a see if you get any code.
BIOS could be dead, can you flash a generic 286 bios? (anyone help here pls)

Are psu voltages in range?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 19 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This appears to be same board: https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/5196
Make sure you use 256k or 1Mb 9chip 30pin simms, most 3 chip do not work or are unstable on 286 boards from my experience....
And Yes you can kill a 286 by putting it in sideways, backwards, any way but proper.
And yes 286 16Mhz and above can get very hot, specially the AMD 16Mhz ones (Harris are cmos and run cooler)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun