VOGONS

First post, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there! Im shopping around for a motherboard to put in my Pentium 90 machine since my plato board has a dead RTC and was acting a bit funny.

Im looking specifically for a board with a 1995 bios date and stumbled across this.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
156.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
293.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

These are sellers pics, not mine. I couldn't find any manufacturer identification on the board or info in the description.

Its either this board (of its a good one) or an Intel Zappa. Any help identifying would be appreciated!

Reply 1 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Claris wrote on 2021-11-21, 01:05:
Hey there! Im shopping around for a motherboard to put in my Pentium 90 machine since my plato board has a dead RTC and was acti […]
Show full quote

Hey there! Im shopping around for a motherboard to put in my Pentium 90 machine since my plato board has a dead RTC and was acting a bit funny.

Im looking specifically for a board with a 1995 bios date and stumbled across this.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
These are sellers pics, not mine. I couldn't find any manufacturer identification on the board or info in the description.

Its either this board (of its a good one) or an Intel Zappa. Any help identifying would be appreciated!

It's a FIC / Pine PT-2003 - https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/2440

Reply 2 of 8, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-21, 01:15:
Hey there! Im shopping around for a motherboard to put in my Pentium 90 machine since my plato board has a dead RTC and was acti […]
Show full quote

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Oh wow! You found that fast. I guess i need to improve my searching skills haha. Thanks!

Was FIC a good brand in this era?

Reply 3 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Claris wrote on 2021-11-21, 01:19:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-21, 01:15:
Show full quote

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Oh wow! You found that fast. I guess i need to improve my searching skills haha. Thanks!

Was FIC a good brand in this era?

No searching involved - its silkscreened on the sellers pic 😀

Decent enough brand - you'll find quite a few people on here have / had this board.

PT-2003.jpg
Filename
PT-2003.jpg
File size
812.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, are you telling me that FIC/VIA and Pine Technology are the same company?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 8, by Claris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-11-21, 06:03:

Wait, are you telling me that FIC/VIA and Pine Technology are the same company?

Pine Technology is probably one of the most generic sounding names for a computer manufacture. Right up there with OAK. Its like an air freshener company decided to get into motherboards.

Fresh pine forest scent inside every triton motherboard package.

Reply 7 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I mentioned the Pine connection as it appeared on the Ultimate Retro link - they picture both green & tan colored boards, and not sure how easy it is to spot one from the other. FIC do have this old link on their product page though (with the SMC rather than UMC IO chip)

https://web.archive.org/web/19970330142411/ht … pt-2003brpg.htm

The board in OP appears to be a v1.3 with the UMC IO chip, and based on the manufacturer ID (F0) in the BIOS string has an old FIC BIOS installed (there are newer ones from 1996 at least)

Reply 8 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All my PT-2003 are revision 1.3, some have the 30-pin VRM socket, some don´t.

There are two different BIOS files available - one for boards with SMC Super-IO and one for the UMC Super-IO (ending with "803" or "804").

I guess the green PCBs were made by "Pine" 😉