VOGONS

Introducing HWiNFO16 (for 8086/88/186/188/286)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 124, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me there are still a few phantom network adaptors hanging around. Intel ones this time.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWILOG2.ZIP
    File size
    6.78 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 21 of 124, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakemono wrote on 2021-11-28, 14:02:

For me there are still a few phantom network adaptors hanging around. Intel ones this time.

Thanks. Does enumerating the PnP devices in v1.4 also cause stability issues for you like for vstrakh?

Reply 22 of 124, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2021-11-28, 13:03:
v1.4 is unstable. Running it with -r -d -v exits prematurely, just completing the PnP report for the ES1868. Rerunning with only […]
Show full quote

v1.4 is unstable.
Running it with -r -d -v exits prematurely, just completing the PnP report for the ES1868.
Rerunning with only -r -d results in GUI either freezing at some point (more often it's Plug-and-Play Subdevice Details), or stopping with "not enough memory" dialog from the app.
Trying yet again after the reboot results in attempting to show some dialog that gets slowly and infinitely zooming out with black spaces , no actual dialog symbols are seen.
The last records in reports are about PnP subdevices.
HWLOG_14.ZIP

Is the ESS card perhaps initialized (PnP resources) via some dedicated vendor tool? If yes, try to skip CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT and then run HWiNFO16 if the issue will still happen.
If yes, please try to catch the error while running with -d switch and then after reboot post the DBG here so I can check it.

Reply 23 of 124, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-11-28, 14:35:
bakemono wrote on 2021-11-28, 14:02:

Thanks. Does enumerating the PnP devices in v1.4 also cause stability issues for you like for vstrakh?

Didn't see any problems with it, no.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 25 of 124, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it runs the games for hours with no issues.
And Norton Diagnostics reports no issues in all tests.

Re-ran the test without esscfg (es1868 pnp setup utility), the behavior is exactly the same.
Apparently I only get errors and freezing when hwinfo runs automatic tests with -r, regardless of -d and -v switches. Just letting it run automatically drives it into some problem.
When I walk all the windows manually it all goes smoothly.

Logs for 1.4 when ess tools are removed from config.sys/autoexec.bat:

Filename
HW_NOPNP.ZIP
File size
1.12 KiB
Downloads
43 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 26 of 124, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aha, so it's really related to PnP probing.
It's ok if I don't go into the subdevices. Just entering "ISA"->"ISA PnP"->"CSN 1: ess1868" window (I see device id/serial, list of subdevice IDs) does not cause any issues. I can go out and reenter without problems.
But as soon as I dive into a subdevice then exit it, then occasionally (not 100% times) something happens, and I can't go into subdevice again. Pressing enter on the item is treated like an ESC, and the last ESC (exiting the system info window) hangs or reboots PC.
In cases when entering subdevice does not cause problems I see a list of selectable "configuration type: " items, pressing enter on any of those shows "Fatal Error: Not enough memory" dialog.

Reply 27 of 124, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2021-11-28, 18:30:
Aha, so it's really related to PnP probing. It's ok if I don't go into the subdevices. Just entering "ISA"->"ISA PnP"->"CSN 1: e […]
Show full quote

Aha, so it's really related to PnP probing.
It's ok if I don't go into the subdevices. Just entering "ISA"->"ISA PnP"->"CSN 1: ess1868" window (I see device id/serial, list of subdevice IDs) does not cause any issues. I can go out and reenter without problems.
But as soon as I dive into a subdevice then exit it, then occasionally (not 100% times) something happens, and I can't go into subdevice again. Pressing enter on the item is treated like an ESC, and the last ESC (exiting the system info window) hangs or reboots PC.
In cases when entering subdevice does not cause problems I see a list of selectable "configuration type: " items, pressing enter on any of those shows "Fatal Error: Not enough memory" dialog.

Thanks, this is interesting and might help me to determine the issue. Is any subdevice causing the issue or perhaps only some of them?

Reply 28 of 124, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2021-11-28, 19:08:

Is any subdevice causing the issue or perhaps only some of them?

Hard to tell. It seems it doesn't really matter. But I also can't reproduce the problem right this moment.
What supposed to happen when you enter the "configuration type: ..." (preferable/acceptable/suboptimal) ?

Reply 32 of 124, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Going to the second subdevice (ID: ESS1868):

Filename
HWINFO_DBG.txt
File size
424 Bytes
Downloads
39 downloads
File license
Public domain
pnp_err_nomemory.jpg
Filename
pnp_err_nomemory.jpg
File size
127.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 34 of 124, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From one of previous freezes of v1.4 got this weird ATAPI port being tested - the last message being shown in status bar.

weird_atapi_port.jpg
Filename
weird_atapi_port.jpg
File size
126.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 35 of 124, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2021-11-28, 20:23:

From one of previous freezes of v1.4 got this weird ATAPI port being tested - the last message being shown in status bar.
weird_atapi_port.jpg

Please try v1.5, I'm quite confident it might solve those issues.

Reply 36 of 124, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

v1.5 now allows browsing PnP subdevices configuration 😀

But automatic reports generation still crashes, rebooting the pc.
I'm not sure how much of the report didn't make it to the log file because of the reboot, but the last saved report page shows the list of configuration types for the subdevice ESS1868 - the first one that has submenus to view actual resources allocation. I.e. it couldn't make it into submenu, much like the gui previously couldn't.

Reply 37 of 124, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2021-11-28, 19:48:

Will post a new version...

Are you considering a Windows 3.x version too? I don't know any good hardware info tool for Win 16bit. I'm sure the guys from win3x.org would be happy to help with testing. I can test it also on multiple configurations.

My best video so far.

Reply 38 of 124, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2021-11-28, 20:38:

v1.5 now allows browsing PnP subdevices configuration 😀

But automatic reports generation still crashes, rebooting the pc.
I'm not sure how much of the report didn't make it to the log file because of the reboot, but the last saved report page shows the list of configuration types for the subdevice ESS1868 - the first one that has submenus to view actual resources allocation. I.e. it couldn't make it into submenu, much like the gui previously couldn't.

I see and think I found this issue as well. Posting an updated v1.5 again, please try:

Filename
HWI16_15.ZIP
File size
99.93 KiB
Downloads
51 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 39 of 124, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OMORES wrote on 2021-11-28, 20:59:
Mumak wrote on 2021-11-28, 19:48:

Will post a new version...

Are you considering a Windows 3.x version too? I don't know any good hardware info tool for Win 16bit. I'm sure the guys from win3x.org would be happy to help with testing. I can test it also on multiple configurations.

Sorry, no such plans. Win 3.x is a completely different API, that would require a totally new project from scratch... One can run HWiNFO for DOS on a Win 3.x system.