VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I seem to have a small issue with a pc I built couple years back Late 90s to early 2000s dos/win98se multipurpose retro? build.
Basically whenever the pc has been unused for a while and I turn it on there seems to be some kind of post fail and it drops the cpu cpeed to 500Mhz during post. Only when I go to bios where it also says about the post fail and save the bios settings again and reboot the cpu speed goes back to normal 1000Mhz.

Anyone has any ideas if there is anything I can do to fix this issue?

Reply 2 of 12, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like it is running at 7.5x66 fsb instead of 7.5x133. I agree with RandomStranger.

Maybe you could bypass it with a motherboard pin setting. Not that it solves anything but fiddling with dip switches has a weird satisfaction.

Reply 3 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-11-23, 19:29:

Dead CR2032?

It keeps all the settings in bios. It is still set to 1000Mhz there when I go to bios and nothing needs to be changed. It just seems like it fails to post at 1000Mhz for the first time so it automatically reboots with 500Mhz without changing anything in the saved bios settings.

Also the CR2032 battery is only 2 years old now.

Reply 4 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does it save the date? If the date and time stay correct, then maybe it's failing to correctly detect the CPU for some reason?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-23, 21:26:

Does it save the date? If the date and time stay correct, then maybe it's failing to correctly detect the CPU for some reason?

Yeah, everything is correct in bios settings. Date, time, cpu settings and everything else. It just fails to post at 1000Mhz for the first time when there computer has not been turned on for days or weeks before turning it on and it automatically drops to 500Mhz for second boot while when you go to bios screen there is a red text message about the post fail.

Reply 6 of 12, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It looks like your jumper free mode jumber might be in the wrong position (looking at the manual)
the other thing to check is to make sure your RAM is PC100/133 as you can't have a FSB of 100 with PC66 RAM.

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 7 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RobDos wrote on 2021-11-23, 21:41:

It looks like your jumper free mode jumber might be in the wrong position (looking at the manual)
the other thing to check is to make sure your RAM is PC100/133 as you can't have a FSB of 100 with PC66 RAM.

I opened the case and the JEN jumper is in correct position 2-3.
Ram is single stick of Siemens 256MB PC133 ram.

Reply 8 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've only used a few Slot 1 motherboards and CPUs, so I don't know if this is possible, but can oxidation on the CPU contacts cause an issue like this? Would removing and reinserting the CPU in the slot help in the way that removing RAM and reinserting it in the RAM slot helps if oxidation is causing RAM errors?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-11-24, 00:25:

I've only used a few Slot 1 motherboards and CPUs, so I don't know if this is possible, but can oxidation on the CPU contacts cause an issue like this? Would removing and reinserting the CPU in the slot help in the way that removing RAM and reinserting it in the RAM slot helps if oxidation is causing RAM errors?

Cpu is 1000Mhz 133 FSB socket 370 coppermine..
I did remove and put the ram back there just now when I was checking which ram it has. I would only be able to know if it helps after waiting for few days and seeing if the PC still does that.

Reply 10 of 12, by RobDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Out of curiosity, what happens if you pull the voodoo cards? Maybe overloading 5V. You might be border line and if it's run recently it might have a trickle charge and that's 'just enough'

You only get a total of 100W of 3.3 and 5v combined.

The CPU, Video Cards are all using 5V in in your system.

P3 Slot 1 - 512MB PC100 - 128GB SSD - RADEON 9200 SE , SB Awe64 ISA - GOTEK MOD

Reply 11 of 12, by Victorkorp99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For testing, you can re-insert all the cards, slot cpu included and clean the cmos data with the proper jumper

Argentina, Córdoba

System: - Pentium III-S 1.4 (Tualatin) + 512mb RAM PC133 + Lite-On TR100 (i815ep) + Ati Radeon 9550 256mb + SB Live! + Generic Usb 2.0 Card + 3Com Etherlink III+ 64gb SD Card (IDE to SD adapter)

Reply 12 of 12, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RobDos wrote on 2021-11-24, 01:29:

Out of curiosity, what happens if you pull the voodoo cards? Maybe overloading 5V. You might be border line and if it's run recently it might have a trickle charge and that's 'just enough'

You only get a total of 100W of 3.3 and 5v combined.

The CPU, Video Cards are all using 5V in in your system.

This made me think... any chance increasing cpu voltage in bios would have any effect?