VOGONS

First post, by jmellidg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I was trying to get in working order an old notebook called REIN 300 Slc, with a beautiful orange plasma screen. It works, but nothing in the screen. I disassembled it and with just the motherboard and the screen works. We were do happy so I builded again, but when I tried to power on again, a strange beep code sounds and again nothing in the screen. I put you the sound and pray for someone to recognise it, and can help me a little bit.

Thank you!!!!

Filename
Beep Code.mp3
File size
114.52 KiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 10, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So that's a quick 1 long 3 short, followed by a slower 4 short - 1 long - 1 short - 1 long.

Any idea what the BIOS is?

[edit: In case it's any use, there are a couple of posts about a Rein 420 SLC here: https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/genres/pcs- … tup#post1206265
The BIOS for that machine is apparently by InterLink Business Network Corp. , but I can't find anything about their beep codes]

Last edited by snufkin on 2021-11-24, 22:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-11-24, 21:07:

So that's a quick 1 long 3 short, followed by a slower 4 short - 1 long - 1 short - 1 long.

More like 5 short - 1 long - 1 short - 1 long.

Reply 5 of 10, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2021-11-24, 22:39:
snufkin wrote on 2021-11-24, 21:07:

More like 5 short - 1 long - 1 short - 1 long.

One day, honest, I will learn to count. Although computers manage with only counting to 1.

Still haven't managed to find beep codes for that particular BIOS manufacturer and I've no idea what would be involved in trying to disassemble the BIOS to find out what triggers that output. Maybe try taking it apart again and seeing if it still works out of the case.

Reply 7 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since the first part is one long three short, which for ami bios's would indicate memory test failure, I'd start to look there.
The extra beeps could be binary for 000001000 an address for where the error occured.
then again, could be a video card problem.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 10, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-11-25, 11:03:

The extra beeps could be binary for 000001000 an address for where the error occured.

I like that idea, except since there are 8 follow up beeps after the initial 1 long-3 short, I'd go with it being 0000 0101, with the short beep being 0 and the long beep being 1.

So possibly, 1 long-3 short, followed by the number 5. Doesn't really help much without some documentation. Number five isn't alive?

Reply 9 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, seems like I got a bit error 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port