VOGONS

First post, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently bought this nice 386 mainboard, because it uses the not so common ELITE "Eagle" chipset consisting of "e88C311" and "e88C312".

386_33E.JPG
Filename
386_33E.JPG
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It also came with "MR BIOS" EPROMS and provides a maximum of 128KB L1 Cache
A lot of damage had been done courtesy of the VARTA battery. I already repaired the corroded traces and components in this area and restored everything:

386_33E_repair1.JPG
Filename
386_33E_repair1.JPG
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
386_33E_repair2.JPG
Filename
386_33E_repair2.JPG
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

(I still have to remove the first ISA socket and take care of the traces underneath)

The typenumber is printed on the PCB as: "MODLE: 386-33E" (typo is original).
I could not find any helpful information online so far. Is anyone here familiar with this mainboard?

Reply 1 of 5, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meanwhile - for the "original touch" - I fit in a new VARTA Ni-MH battery. I hope it ages better than it´s predecessor. The restoration is now cpmplete.

386_33E_repair3.JPG
Filename
386_33E_repair3.JPG
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I still hope anybody here knows this mainboard and has some details.
All I was able to find with this "Eagle" chipset was an Elitegroup 386 board and an industrial PC card.

Reply 3 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good work and an Interesting board ! Found no info on it yet.......Odd It has no cache TAG chips, just a bunch (8) of 8kx8.

maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-11-27, 15:20:

Nickel-Cringium

🤣 yeah I would have opted for an external battery source 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They say Ni-MH batteries only leak if they operate "outside the specifications", i.e. when the charging circuitry is not designed correctly.
And here might be the problem since the (very primitive) charging circuits on 386 / 486 mainboards were designed for Ni-Cd batteries.
So I´ll keep an eye on the Ni-MH battery here and I will not store it away with the battery still on it.

Reply 5 of 5, by WladeK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, I also have this motherboard, but it probably has a faulty bios. pc diagnostic card shows error code FF -- --. could something be done with it? or it's already in vain. is there a TX486DLC-33GA processor is it compatible with intel?