VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying to choose between 2 386 motherboards which one to use I was wondering if anyone knows if these chipsets have any performance difference?
One of the motherboards has UMC UM82C482AF chipset and the other one has ALI M1419 Chipset. Both motherboards are very similar with 8 ram slots each, sockets for 386 and 387, 8 cache slots, 1 tag slot and connector for external battery. The motherboard with UMC chipset has six 16 bit ISA slots while the motherboard with ALI chipset has six 16bit isa slots and one 8bit isa slot. Both have 66Mhz clock crystal for 33Mhz 386.

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't be surprised if they are in fact the same identical chip.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-02, 09:27:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are in fact the same identical chip.

I dont think so. UMC chip has 160 pins while Ali chip has 200 pins. Also the motherboard with UMC chipset it seems to have been divided into 3 chips while on the motherboard with ALI chipset everything seems to be integrated into that single ALI chip.

Reply 3 of 7, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some motherboards can do write-back cache with extra cache chip. (Like M321) That can give a bit of a boost compared to normal write-through cache. 😉

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 4 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-12-02, 10:33:

Some motherboards can do write-back cache with extra cache chip. (Like M321) That can give a bit of a boost compared to normal write-through cache. 😉

The motherboard with ALI chipset has Write buffer/back cache option in bios. Is that the thing you are talking about? Of course I have no way of knowing if the option is actually functional.

Reply 5 of 7, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2021-12-02, 11:18:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-12-02, 10:33:

The motherboard with ALI chipset has Write buffer/back cache option in bios. Is that the thing you are talking about? Of course I have no way of knowing if the option is actually functional.

As i don't have any motherboards with ALI chipset, i unfortunately just don't know. It is a possibility.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 6 of 7, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one more question, is amd 386 33Mhz cpu equal to intel 386 33Mhz cpu that you if you benchmark one board with one cpu and the other board with the other cpu at the same time would it give reliable info about which motherboard performs better?

Reply 7 of 7, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK, AMD is direct clone in terms of performance - no optimizations, no on-die cache to talk about, nothing.
Only "optimization" is that many AMD cpu's were capable of 40MHz. But that's a different topic.