VOGONS

First post, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I picked up my old 386SX that I had when I was a kid from my parents and opening it up revealed that the Varta battery had leaked and the computer was not booting at all. I removed the battery and started cleaning the leakage with vinegar and afterwards with some IPA where I could see it was needed. I had to desolder some components to reach and clean leakage underneath them.

The computer does still not boot, no output to VGA port, no beeps from POST or anything. How would I best tackle to troubleshoot this? I really want to make this computer work again since there is a high affection for it but I have no clue on where to start.

Attached are some images before cleanup/during.

Some general questions in addition to the above,
- Do I need to have a battery replacement for the computer to boot? Or will it boot without one?
- Do I need to have RAM sticks in the sockets for it to boot?
- How do i know if it uses FPM or EDO RAM? (they were removed years ago for another computer)

Attachments

Reply 1 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd verify the voltages that get output from the psu. you'll need to see around... 12V 5V -5V and -12V, red yellow, blue and white... or was it white and blue? meh.

I've seen computers that won't boot without a battery, though, most pc compatibles tend to boot without a battery if all other conditions are fulfilled .
you definitely need ram for the computer to boot, and since it's a 386sx, it will not be edo, just plain fpm.
most you can expect without ram would be beeps indicating a memory error, if the speaker is still working and hooked up.

oh and looking at the photos... you'll need to fix a lot of traces. all those that seem a little bit off colour should be verified for continuity and repaired.

Last edited by weedeewee on 2021-12-03, 14:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 33, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Explanation of the images,

First image is a closeup of the chip that is above the ISA slot in the third image. I tested all of the pinouts on the side facing ISA and they all connect to vias on the other side of the ISA and they all have continuation. The second image is from the same area as the other images but on the backside of the motherboard.

Reply 3 of 33, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-03, 14:05:
I'd verify the voltages that get output from the psu. you'll need to see around... 12V 5V -5V and -12V, red yellow, blue and whi […]
Show full quote

I'd verify the voltages that get output from the psu. you'll need to see around... 12V 5V -5V and -12V, red yellow, blue and white... or was it white and blue? meh.

I've seen computers that won't boot without a battery, though, most pc compatibles tend to boot without a battery if all other conditions are fulfilled .
you definitely need ram for the computer to boot, and since it's a 386sx, it will not be edo, just plain fpm.
most you can expect without ram would be beeps indicating a memory error, if the speaker is still working and hooked up.

Thank you for the reply!

Ok, I'll add some FPM sticks to rule that out 😀 Doesn't beep without any but measuring the voltages sounds like a good plan to start! Any thoughts on where would be good places to measure? CPU, BIOS chip? How would I know which pins require voltage to measure?

Reply 5 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i'd just measure the voltages on the psu connector.
and did you verify the continuity on all those traces that are off-color ?

Do not ask Why !

Reply 6 of 33, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look at the small traces on your photos. Some are totally corroded and very likely interrupted. You need to check each of them and - if yes - fix them.

Then you need a POST card for further diagnostics.

Reply 9 of 33, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the messages! 😀

I did get a ISA POST card to see if it would show anything but it only shows "- - - -" on the displays, no beeping from the piezo speaker either. The LEDS for voltages on the card do light up though, all of them and I could get voltages on chips/cpu etc on the motherboard. But as some of you mentioned, there are probably traces that are somewhere damaged enough to prevent it from booting.

Reply 10 of 33, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hoping wrote on 2021-12-03, 19:26:

I think that needs the vinegar treatment, there's corrosion all around and that small traces that have a dark colour look bad, scrap the varnish and check then.

What would be the best procedure for this, can I submerge the motherboard in vinegar or should I desolder as much as possible and just scrub a lot with a toothbrush and vinegar?

Reply 11 of 33, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2021-12-03, 21:18:

Here you get an idea what needs to be done 😁

Re: The bet. Can a card in this state be repaired?

This is actually a very good post! Even though mine is not near that bad I get the idea on how to move forward 😀

Reply 12 of 33, by jasposiris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi @doigan
It seems I have the same motherboard. Do you have any info or photo of the whole computer so that I would where it is coming from...
Also did you manage to repair it finally?
Best regards

Reply 13 of 33, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jasposiris wrote on 2024-03-31, 10:46:
Hi @doigan It seems I have the same motherboard. Do you have any info or photo of the whole computer so that I would where it is […]
Show full quote

Hi @doigan
It seems I have the same motherboard. Do you have any info or photo of the whole computer so that I would where it is coming from...
Also did you manage to repair it finally?
Best regards

Hello @jasposiris

Thank you for your post, I do have more information about this computer.

It's an old Copam 386, model 386SXU/16. I have not seen the brand before but this specific one was in our family during the 90s. I attached two images showing front and back of the case.

Unfortunately I was not able to repair the motherboard by myself, by closer inspection with microscope there were a lot of tracers destroyed even going through to the other side/planes and desoldering the chip shown in the third image with the bad corrosion showed it to be even worse underneath it. So at the moment it is in my storage waiting for a better day, I would really like to get it running again since it has such high personal value for me but for the moment it's out of my knowledge/equipement 🙁

Attachments

• IMG_20211203_105619.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20211203_105619.jpg
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • copam-1.jpg
    Filename
    copam-1.jpg
    File size
    449.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 14 of 33, by jasposiris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot! Here is pics of my motherboard which is not booting..
386sx 20, ram 72pin edo, trident 8900c VGA chipset and acc micro 2036 chipset.
Yet I only have 3 long beeps when there is no ram, but nothing on the screen unfortunately..

IMG_20240330_213731.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240330_213731.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Attachments

Reply 15 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

edo ram on a 386sx ?

fyi, you should try some fpm.

edited for clarity

Last edited by weedeewee on 2024-03-31, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 16 of 33, by jasposiris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-31, 16:26:

edo ram on a 386sx ?

fyi, you should try some fpm.

Theseare pictures of the "original" ram found on the board (but maybe it wasn't!).

IMG_20240331_183855.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240331_183855.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20240331_183840.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240331_183840.jpg
File size
1.95 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 17 of 33, by jasposiris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I just tested with some ram not labellized edo (so probably fpm picture attached) with no improvement..

IMG_20240331_185226.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240331_185226.jpg
File size
1.83 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20240331_185218.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240331_185218.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 18 of 33, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jasposiris wrote on 2024-03-31, 17:03:

And I just tested with some ram not labellized edo (so probably fpm picture attached) with no improvement..
IMG_20240331_185226.jpgIMG_20240331_185218.jpg

https://ram-co-shop.de/16-MB-EDO-RAM-60-ns-72 … GM71C17403BJ6_1

still edo

additional. a 386sx only supports up to 16MB or RAM, so try to find some FPM sticks of 1, 2, 4 or 8 Meg size

Do not ask Why !

Reply 19 of 33, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jasposiris wrote on 2024-03-31, 16:22:

Thanks a lot! Here is pics of my motherboard which is not booting..
386sx 20, ram 72pin edo, trident 8900c VGA chipset and acc micro 2036 chipset.
Yet I only have 3 long beeps when there is no ram, but nothing on the screen unfortunately..IMG_20240330_213731.jpg.

Wow! That sure looks to be the very same motherboard, just a tad faster CPU - impressive! Would you be interested in selling it?