VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m building a Windows 98 pc with a 6VXC7-4X-P socket 370 motherboard as a base. I got a case for it that fits pretty nicely, but the case has two connectors I can’t seem to fit on my motherboard. One is a 9 pin connector, with a bunch of loose 1 pin connectors grouped together, for a USB panel in front. Another is a 9 pin connector, also with some loose 1 pin connectors grouped to it, for an audio input panel in front.

There aren’t any 9 pin headers on my motherboard, and even if there were I have no idea what to do with the loose 1 pin connectors grouped with them.

Is there a solution for this, or can I just not use that stuff in the front?

Reply 1 of 13, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to your motherboard's manual, their arent' any USB or AC97 Audio headers on it. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-6VXC7 … #support-manual

You can use a USB add-on card that will give you additional ports on the back as well as provide an internal header.

For the audio ports, you'll need a sound card that gives you an internal AC97 header.

Reply 3 of 13, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JustRob wrote on 2021-12-05, 16:24:

Gotcha. By chance, do you know if the AWE64 Gold has such a header? I don’t think so… so I’d have to put another sound card in here, a PCI one.

I'm not aware of a revision of the card that does. But some do have an MB_Pro connector which was designed to be used with a Modem Blaster. These expose speaker and microphone I/O and might work after you adjust some wires in the AC97 connector.

https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/MB_PRO

Reply 4 of 13, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Another question: The case came with a nifty multi-card reader with a single USB port built in one of the 3.5" inch drive bays. There's two thick black wires coming out of it, which merge together and then spread in an array of colorful thin wires, which once again ends in a 9-pin connector. Do you happen to know what kind of header I'd need to get that working?

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3752.jpg
    File size
    24.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3751.jpg
    File size
    36.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 13, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the sort of header that some motherboard had for 2 USB ports. I'd guess it uses one port for the card read and the other port for the USB socket.

Startech do a 7 port PCI USB card, PCIUSB7, 4 external and 3 internal, that has the right sort of header on it. Never used it, so no idea how well it'd work.

Reply 6 of 13, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I’ll see if I can find one of those then, ty.

Dunno if you know this, but this card reader isn’t one of those things I can use to install Windows on a SD card, right? I think I’d need a IDE or SCSI2SD solution for that.

Reply 7 of 13, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JustRob wrote on 2021-12-05, 22:48:

I think I’ll see if I can find one of those then, ty.

Dunno if you know this, but this card reader isn’t one of those things I can use to install Windows on a SD card, right? I think I’d need a IDE or SCSI2SD solution for that.

Pretty sure not. I don't think many boards supported booting from USB devices at that time. Others will know for sure about that.

Reply 8 of 13, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another question:

Checked out the PCIUSB7 card, but even though in the description it says it has two motherboard headers, I can only seem to spot one on the pictures: https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pciusb7

So does it only have one 9 pin header for USB devices after all?

Reply 11 of 13, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I think you'd need a sound card for the front panel audio anyway. It sounds like you need an audio header for the sound and a USB header for the USB. I'm not up on sound cards, so I don't know if the 9 pin audio header pinout is standard (the USB one is) or if sound cards typically came with one.

Technically you could lash up an extension to connect the rear USB ports to the front panel, but that'd involve making up a 'twin USB connector to 9 pin header' cable.

Reply 12 of 13, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah… basically, I have a small panel at the bottom with a line input, mic input, and two USB ports. But it doesn’t all go through one cable, it’s split between two cables that both end with a 9 pin connector. One is labelled USB, and the other is labelled audio. Since the 9 pin connector seems to be a USB connector typically, I have no idea where to insert the audio one into.

Reply 13 of 13, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audio one might be AC97: https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/sup … top-boards.html

There will almost certainly be sound cards with AC97 headers, but I don't actually know.

So in theory you could put in a sound card and connect the front panel audio, and put in a USB card to connect the front panel USB.

If you also wanted to connect the card reader+USB socket adapter then you could use a USB-socket-to-header type adapter (try searching for something like USB male header to dual type A):

USB_TypeA_to_Header.jpg
Filename
USB_TypeA_to_Header.jpg
File size
28.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and plug that in to the USB sockets on the back of the motherboard (or two of the 4 sockets on that startech board).