VOGONS

First post, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ye olde relevant article: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a-graphi … -block,707.html

Does anyone remember these cards?

I've recently been wondering whether or not there was ever a GPU that supported DirectX 9.0, table fog, and 8-bit paletted textures, and which didn't suffer a certain bug that plagued several generations of GeForce cards. Would these XGI cards fit that description? Did they have any notable bugs that would prevent certain games of the era (1997-2004) from working correctly?

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck finding one of the higher end ones for a not insane price. In fact... good luck finding one at all.

The performance is not there either.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was asking about capability, not availability.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, from that review you posted a link to, they look to have abysmal performance.. and that was that V8 model... I've only ever seen a single once for sale and it went for hundreds of US dollars.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Benchmarks of the thing are weird, because it isn't a speed demon on Dx7, but it pwns low end dx 7/8 cards on dx9 so it's either half or twice the speed of an MX440 depending what DX level. This is the V3 lowest model. Some say it's a competitor to the MX4000, the legendarily worst MX ever.

The thing about the V3s and some of the V5s though is that they blend in with other low end cards like 9100s and 9250s, and your eye can pass them over real easily. There's maybe more out there than people think because they're not super obvious to identify and get passed over in random lots.

I can't be sure right now if I've got one or not, it's one of those pieces that keeps doing the Flying Dutchman on me, thinking I see it, but then when I go back to use it, it's gone again... If I do it's maybe a V3

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's reasonable to assume that Volari has similar or identical legacy features with SiS Xabre 400/600 cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 6, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-08, 23:20:

Well, from that review you posted a link to, they look to have abysmal performance.. and that was that V8 model...

The V8 Duo, more specifically. But frame rates aren't my concern. I'm more interested in feature compatibility.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-09, 01:32:

Benchmarks of the thing are weird, because it isn't a speed demon on Dx7, but it pwns low end dx 7/8 cards on dx9 so it's either half or twice the speed of an MX440 depending what DX level. This is the V3 lowest model.

It's also critical to remember that the V3 was a completely unrelated architecture to the V5 and V8. The V3 was a recycled Trident XP4, while the V5 and V8 were supposedly based on the SiS Xabre II.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-12-09, 02:04:

It's reasonable to assume that Volari has similar or identical legacy features with SiS Xabre 400/600 cards.

Maybe, or maybe not. The Geforce FX series supported features that the Geforce 6000 series didn't.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----