VOGONS

Reply 60 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome !

To quote Spanish soccer commentators "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO<snip>23 pages later...</snip>OOOOOOOOOAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!1111"

Spoiler

Like this guy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioCvLN-370

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 62 of 600, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know what I am going to do with my K6-2+ 570 CPUs.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 63 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With apparent success reported, I'm gonna do it to half of them I think, 2nd fastest, 4th fastest, 6th fastest. I just got an order in an hour or so before this was posted, so hopefully that goes through.... before price triples 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 65 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OH MY ODIN!

I was RIGHT?!?!!!!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

okay the guys in the 570 thread gotta hear about this!!!!

I'm surprised to see the guts of the die visible though btw.. these are pics of your actual processors? no damage to the die? the one looks like the thermal adhesive broke away from the die?

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-02-24, 04:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 66 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

alright.

we need a step by step procedure for safely removing the lid, and for safely reinstalling it also.

can anyone tell us exactly what kind of glue was used? so we can replace the original like for like? also, will liquid metal work on this die since we now have a opportunity to upgrade it? or what should be used? perhaps a thermal adhesive?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 67 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a lot of contacts around the die to worry about if you put a liquid metal on there... unless you apply a conformal coating or something to all that first. You'd wanna try that before you glued the lid down really well of course.

I'm not sure if the "grey RTV" type stuff is just a firm silicone or whether that offers further thermal coupling from the heatspreader either into or out of the ceramic (Heat won't travel very well horizontally through ceramic, but it might be worth a bit of dissipation to have it going through it to the ground pins/ground plane.)

But why stick the stock heatspreader back on? Copper plate!

Reply 68 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:29:

There's a lot of contacts around the die to worry about if you put a liquid metal on there... unless you apply a conformal coating or something to all that first. You'd wanna try that before you glued the lid down really well of course.

I'm not sure if the "grey RTV" type stuff is just a firm silicone or whether that offers further thermal coupling from the heatspreader either into or out of the ceramic (Heat won't travel very well horizontally through ceramic, but it might be worth a bit of dissipation to have it going through it to the ground pins/ground plane.)

But why stick the stock heatspreader back on? Copper plate!

personally, I'd like to return the processor as much as I can to the original visual condition after the upgrade

I'm wondering if heat may be the best way to remove the ihs?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 70 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fritzchens Fritz wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:34:

It works! 😀 After replace the capacitor back, it was still again a K6-2+ with 128kb L2 cache. Test this modification tomorrow at full speed. Today tested only with 180mhz.

anyone wanna test moving that other capacitor 🤣? wonder what that does? maybe moving both activates 512k 🤣

why do your pics show the structure of the chip? it should be one color
Re: Cheap k6 3+ 570 chips.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 71 of 600, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't use liquid metal with the original lid because afaik it's aluminium and that forms a very brittle alloy with the liquid metal.
Regular thermal paste should do a good job on such a low TDP CPU, no need to worry.👌

Reply 72 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:40:

You can't use liquid metal with the original lid because afaik it's aluminium and that forms a very brittle alloy with the liquid metal.
Regular thermal paste should do a good job on such a low TDP CPU, no need to worry.👌

okay, makes sense to me. thanks 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 73 of 600, by Fritzchens Fritz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:35:

Because these are my old exposed K6 chips. I put them on the ceramic package for clarification so that you can see the L2 cache on the chips. Here is the pic of my modded K6-2+:

Attachments

Reply 74 of 600, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't see from a business standpoint how selling a otherwise perfectly good chip for less money, gets you more money. Ok I can understand it with intels logic in convincing you to pay more for a non cripppled version. But were talking about AMD here and in what was already a low cost chip that was for low end laptops. k62+ must be binned for having faulty 256 cache that can't run at full speed. It might work downclocked.

End result might be a chip that could run at 600mhz with 128k cache, but can now only run at 400mhz with 256k.

Reply 75 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fritzchens Fritz wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:45:

Because these are my old exposed K6 chips. I put them on the ceramic package for clarification so that you can see the L2 cache on the chips. Here is the pic of my modded K6-2+:

okay, so the previous pic is of non working chips you sanded or broke loose and flipped?

I see that there is solder on those . looks legit!!! wow! exciting!

Warlord wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:49:

I can't see from a business standpoint how selling a otherwise perfectly good chip for less money, gets you more money. Ok I can understand it with intels logic in convincing you to pay more for a non cripppled version. But were talking about AMD here and in what was already a low cost chip that was for low end laptops. k62+ must be binned for having faulty 256 cache that can't run at full speed. It might work downclocked.

End result might be a chip that could run at 600mhz with 128k cache, but can now only run at 400mhz with 256k.

the point is making a chip for every price point so they buy from you

we, I am sure will be getting the answer to the stability question soon. possibly in this thread.
Huge number of K6-2E+/570ACZ CPUs for sale on eBay

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 76 of 600, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's the contract fulfilment thing too, X hundred thousand processors by date Y for Z amount of money, or the lawyers built in penalties. What are you gonna do, say "Hold back that thousand or two, they're too good, risk the penalty clause." ??

Reply 77 of 600, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:17:

alright.

we need a step by step procedure for safely removing the lid, and for safely reinstalling it also.

can anyone tell us exactly what kind of glue was used? so we can replace the original like for like? also, will liquid metal work on this die since we now have a opportunity to upgrade it? or what should be used? perhaps a thermal adhesive?

The original "glue" is nothing but grey silicone.

I delidded a few K6-2 CPUs back in the day when I was experimenting with direct-die liquid cooling.

Clean the old silicone off the IHS and the CPU as well as the thermal paste off the die and the IHS.

Replace the thermal paste with something good such as Arctic MX-5 (my current favorite) and use a dab of silicone glue on the corners of the IHS, then set something heavy on top to let the silicone glue dry. Just have to make sure you have it well balanced so the IHS is not angled.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 78 of 600, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-21, 06:02:

There's the contract fulfilment thing too, X hundred thousand processors by date Y for Z amount of money, or the lawyers built in penalties. What are you gonna do, say "Hold back that thousand or two, they're too good, risk the penalty clause." ??

AMD did the same sort of thing with the Slot-A Athlons. But that was even with the retails ones.

There was more demand for the lower cost ones and the yield was so good that you would almost always get a 150-200+ Mhz higher die than the CPU was sold as.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 79 of 600, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fritzchens Fritz wrote on 2022-02-21, 05:45:

Any chance you’re willing to see what that top left cap does?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-