VOGONS

Reply 20 of 218, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m really glad this guy is selling these because the 2+ 570 was a very rare chip before this happened haha.

To those thinking of getting one, go for it, they should be among the best overxlocking k6 chips around. Just be sure your motherboard can do 2v core.

2x =6x

Pretty much work in most socket 7 mobos and give you a n additional level of cache!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 21 of 218, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-12-15, 00:18:
Unknown_K wrote on 2021-12-14, 23:36:

I have read were these clock to 600MHz without breaking a sweat and gone as high as 620MHz.

http://www.k6plus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1483

They are selling these chips for more then a year now, last I bought a pair for like 40-45 USD... can't remember exactly.
Back then I was playing with one of the chips on an ASUS P5A and it was running fine @630 MHz with a crappy cooler... so maybe there is more headroom...

Reply 22 of 218, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-12-14, 23:23:

in before the fun police kill the ebay link

I'll let this thread stay open for the following reasons:

1. "Ebay rule" isn't binary. The rule is against promoting your own or another user's ongoing sales and/or auctions. It isn't specifically targeted against Ebay, the same would apply for user sales on Amibay or other website. The link is to a store/business (with an inventory) which just happen to operate on Ebay. This also means that you can discuss and link to sales that have taken place (ie: Market value for popular or rare classic computer hardware). It has for many years not been allowed to sell or promote your own sales and auctions here on VOGONS, but for many years there were a thread to let people know of good deals from other users/sellers. The problem was that a small minority abused this: 1. People had other users or shadow accounts to promote their own stuff (which was hard to verify) 2. People used affiliate links to earn money on the links. 3. Alot of drama. When the rules changed and the thread closed, people who had been posting affiliate links created even more drama (since they lost their revenue) and started attacking the site (which is also why there is a edit limit, PM minimum requirement and other measures).
2. This thread is more than just the Ebay link, it's also the story on how they actually have 60k CPU's left.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 23 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2021-12-15, 12:05:
I'll let this thread stay open for the following reasons: […]
Show full quote

1. "Ebay rule" isn't binary. The rule is against promoting your own or another user's ongoing sales and/or auctions. It isn't specifically targeted against Ebay, the same would apply for user sales on Amibay or other website. The link is to a store/business (with an inventory) which just happen to operate on Ebay. This also means that you can discuss and link to sales that have taken place (ie: Market value for popular or rare classic computer hardware). It has for many years not been allowed to sell or promote your own sales and auctions here on VOGONS, but for many years there were a thread to let people know of good deals from other users/sellers. The problem was that a small minority abused this: 1. People had other users or shadow accounts to promote their own stuff (which was hard to verify) 2. People used affiliate links to earn money on the links. 3. Alot of drama. When the rules changed and the thread closed, people who had been posting affiliate links created even more drama (since they lost their revenue) and started attacking the site (which is also why there is a edit limit, PM minimum requirement and other measures).
2. This thread is more than just the Ebay link, it's also the story on how they actually have 60k CPU's left.

Thanks Vetz, I get the eBay rule is a necessary evil but im thankful this thread can stay open, them 60k K6 II CPUs need good homes and I feel many here would be happy to add a couple to their collections or possibly find them good homes.

Reply 24 of 218, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bearking wrote on 2021-12-15, 11:46:
Unknown_K wrote on 2021-12-14, 23:36:

I have read were these clock to 600MHz without breaking a sweat and gone as high as 620MHz.

They are selling these chips for more then a year now, last I bought a pair for like 40-45 USD... can't remember exactly.
Back then I was playing with one of the chips on an ASUS P5A and it was running fine @630 MHz with a crappy cooler... so maybe there is more headroom...

I bought a couple when they were selling them in lots of 2 as well. I did put in an offer for a lot of 3 which was slightly below the asking price but haven't heard back yet.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 218, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2021-12-15, 12:05:
I'll let this thread stay open for the following reasons: […]
Show full quote

I appreciate your interpretation of the rule. I wish the other mods would share in it

Reply 26 of 218, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The lowest they will take is $58 for 3 + tax + shipping

but as i said earlier, the market will have to dictate pricing. It was a rare CPU before, but when you're sitting on 60k of them at some point it makes more sense to turn them into gold than sell to a limited market of enthusiasts.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-15, 14:47:
bearking wrote on 2021-12-15, 11:46:

I bought a couple when they were selling them in lots of 2 as well. I did put in an offer for a lot of 3 which was slightly below the asking price but haven't heard back yet.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 27 of 218, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just placed my order, because, why not. 😀

Edit: Interestingly though, the price listed on the US website is US $69.45 and on the AU website it is US $76.40. Not to worried about the price, just thought it was interesting. Is this a special AU eBay tax... 🤔

Reply 28 of 218, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pan069 wrote on 2021-12-15, 17:47:

Edit: Interestingly though, the price listed on the US website is US $69.45 and on the AU website it is US $76.40. Not to worried about the price, just thought it was interesting. Is this a special AU eBay tax... 🤔

Depending on how they are listing on other eBay sites, it may be the service they are using that is tacking on a surcharge. I wonder if the seller even knows this is happening.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29 of 218, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's called 10% GST 🤣

Reply 30 of 218, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-15, 18:19:

It's called 10% GST 🤣

Yeah, that 10% GST is added regardless. Really sucks how this only used to be only for purchases over $1000 AUD (which I thought was fair enough). The other thing that pisses me off about this GST thing is that I pay GST over the full shipping even though at least 50% of the shipping occurs overseas.

Reply 31 of 218, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It makes me wonder how much storage space would be required to store those 60000 CPUs

a rough estimate would be around 5000/m³
that 12 times makes 12m³,
stack'm 2m high, 2m wide, 3m long

I could fit that in my room 🤣

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 32 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sooooo anyone got a "transit" van with a hard to read license plate?

j/k

I gotta get my order in soon, these are getting wider attention, either the price will go up or cpu-world forums will do a bulk buy to hoard them 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 33 of 218, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-15, 21:20:
It makes me wonder how much storage space would be required to store those 60000 CPUs […]
Show full quote

It makes me wonder how much storage space would be required to store those 60000 CPUs

The seller actually has 3 separate listings for the K6-2+ 570 CPUs, each with close to 10,000 lots so that is more like 90k CPUs.

They also have:
144 - K6-III+ 500
727 - K6-2+ 400
2,870 K6-2 400
90 - K6-2 450
49 - K6-2+ 533
59 - K6-III+ 450

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34 of 218, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
It makes me wonder how much storage space would be required to store those 60000 CPUs […]
Show full quote

I was wondering about that too and quickly set up a scene, 80 stacked trays of 16 x 16 CPUs should fit in 1 m3 box, so that would be 20480 CPUs on that picture 😁 (should fit on a forklift)

Attachments

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 35 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-15, 18:14:

Depending on how they are listing on other eBay sites, it may be the service they are using that is tacking on a surcharge. I wonder if the seller even knows this is happening.

The Australia eBay adds 10% GST to all prices as per Australian law for international sellers, if its not meant to be there then its an eBay issue as it should be 10% on total cost (Price+Shipping+Import) calculated at checkout, which I think it is.

Reply 36 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-12-15, 21:31:
The seller actually has 3 separate listings for the K6-2+ 570 CPUs, each with close to 10,000 lots so that is more like 90k CPUs […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

The seller actually has 3 separate listings for the K6-2+ 570 CPUs, each with close to 10,000 lots so that is more like 90k CPUs.

They also have:
144 - K6-III+ 500
727 - K6-2+ 400
2,870 K6-2 400
90 - K6-2 450
49 - K6-2+ 533
59 - K6-III+ 450

Grabbed a K6 III+ 500 cause why not and its easier to get than the 550, also grabbed this 570 deal

Reply 37 of 218, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-15, 21:30:

Sooooo anyone got a "transit" van with a hard to read license plate?

j/k

I gotta get my order in soon, these are getting wider attention, either the price will go up or cpu-world forums will do a bulk buy to hoard them 🤣

CPU-World forums already had a group buy. We got them for $20 each, and only what people wanted for their collections. No point anyone hoarding them when so many are available at such a reasonable price 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 39 of 218, by MN_Moody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-12-16, 06:15:

Once the 200 people worldwide who care about this have theirs, what will they do with the remaining 9799? They will be going for 1 dollar a pop soon enough.

They will never go that low, the "melt" scrap value on aluminum topped AMD CPU is around $26 per pound per boardsort.com's payout rate, which tends to align with the low end of what you'd get going to a precious metals recovery outfit at the end of the supply chain. Factoring in eBay's 15% cut, the ongoing storage cost/opportunity cost to keep these sitting around, and the hassle factor selling a couple at a time to retail buyers I expect they'll take them to scrap eventually if the sale volume drops off and bulk payout rate remains where it is.