Reply 20 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote on 2021-12-25, 14:38:
This is... neat... […]
Show full quote

This is... neat...

Today I finally got off my backside to check out several of my portable systems, as I haven't changed the batteries or anything with them in anything from 6 months to a year.
First I got out my Psion 3a with the woodgrain/tortoiseshell cover (never sure what it's supposed to be besides pretty)... batteries were dead, but replaced them with new duracells and she worked fine.

Then I dug out the 100lx... 2mb version... turned it on... nothing. No surprise.
Opened the battery compartment... a small amount of corrosion on the battery terminals.
So I popped out the batteries, swabbed it with a q-tip and a bit of white vinegar, popped in a couple new duracells... voila, she was working (though I need to get/install a new CR2032 backup battery).
Just had to re-enter my information. I've a 90meg industrial pcmcia memory card, and it was found with everything intact.
I've got some 1, 2 and 4 gig CF cards, but I thought 100mb was the biggest the 100lx could take..

Then I dug out my TRS-80 model 100. it actually powered up. I checked, no apparent corrosion on the batteries, though I did need to update the date and time. I really need to tear it open and recap it someday soon.
And a few weeks back I got into a nostalgia mood and went digging up early versions of *nix, like slax and yggdrasil and minix. I wondered at the time if I could run Minix in virtualbox or qemu. Would be neat to give it a try on my 100lx... telnet onto it from my Model100, using the vt100 emulation built into my rexcpm rom, as well as from my 3a.

I also was looking for a Psion 5/5mx online today. I'd love to get one. I had a friend who got a 5 when they were new, and I was permanently impressed. My Psion 3a keyboard is perhaps the best I've used on a portable or even semi-portable device.

What I would really love to get my hands on (if I could afford it) is a Psion 7 or a Netbook. Netbook pros come up on ebay now and then, but they run WinCE; you can put Linux on them, but would want to run Epoc.

I just think it's kind of interesting that A) I was playing with my Psion 3a and 100lx just before reading this post and B) yesterday I subscribed to your YouTube channel

Send me a PM, I might be able to get you a Psion Series 5 or 5mx...
It will probably depend on what country your in, in terms of shipping costs etc, as I'm in New Zealand...
Did you know you can run Linux on a Psion Series 5 ?

Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 21 of 39, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-25, 23:00:
Send me a PM, I might be able to get you a Psion Series 5 or 5mx... It will probably depend on what country your in, in terms of […]
Show full quote
This is... neat... […]
Show full quote

This is... neat...

Today I finally got off my backside to check out several of my portable systems, as I haven't changed the batteries or anything with them in anything from 6 months to a year.
First I got out my Psion 3a with the woodgrain/tortoiseshell cover (never sure what it's supposed to be besides pretty)... batteries were dead, but replaced them with new duracells and she worked fine.

Then I dug out the 100lx... 2mb version... turned it on... nothing. No surprise.
Opened the battery compartment... a small amount of corrosion on the battery terminals.
So I popped out the batteries, swabbed it with a q-tip and a bit of white vinegar, popped in a couple new duracells... voila, she was working (though I need to get/install a new CR2032 backup battery).
Just had to re-enter my information. I've a 90meg industrial pcmcia memory card, and it was found with everything intact.
I've got some 1, 2 and 4 gig CF cards, but I thought 100mb was the biggest the 100lx could take..

Then I dug out my TRS-80 model 100. it actually powered up. I checked, no apparent corrosion on the batteries, though I did need to update the date and time. I really need to tear it open and recap it someday soon.
And a few weeks back I got into a nostalgia mood and went digging up early versions of *nix, like slax and yggdrasil and minix. I wondered at the time if I could run Minix in virtualbox or qemu. Would be neat to give it a try on my 100lx... telnet onto it from my Model100, using the vt100 emulation built into my rexcpm rom, as well as from my 3a.

I also was looking for a Psion 5/5mx online today. I'd love to get one. I had a friend who got a 5 when they were new, and I was permanently impressed. My Psion 3a keyboard is perhaps the best I've used on a portable or even semi-portable device.

What I would really love to get my hands on (if I could afford it) is a Psion 7 or a Netbook. Netbook pros come up on ebay now and then, but they run WinCE; you can put Linux on them, but would want to run Epoc.

I just think it's kind of interesting that A) I was playing with my Psion 3a and 100lx just before reading this post and B) yesterday I subscribed to your YouTube channel

It will probably depend on what country your in, in terms of shipping costs etc, as I'm in New Zealand...

Radiance

I'd heard that you could, but I don't know how well it works... I'm guessing the distro is something like Puppy Linux?

Reply 22 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote on 2021-12-26, 01:14:
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-25, 23:00:
Send me a PM, I might be able to get you a Psion Series 5 or 5mx... It will probably depend on what country your in, in terms of […]
Show full quote
This is... neat... […]
Show full quote

This is... neat...

Radiance

I'd heard that you could, but I don't know how well it works... I'm guessing the distro is something like Puppy Linux?

Well, there's the debian based OpenPsion project, which is a distribution specific for Psion EPOC (32bit ARM) based machines like the series 5, mako and 7.
It includes/supports the X11 Window System for a graphical user interface:
http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/

Or, Kludged Linux, also debian based and also supports the X11 Window System for a graphical user interface:
https://ajwellsnet.wordpress.com/

I'm not sure which is the best one, I haven't tried installing linux on the Series 5mx I have yet,
but, it should be pretty easy and will run fine, as the 5mx has a large amount of memory and a pretty fast ARM CPU (for a palmtop of that era)

Maybe go ahead and try installing one of them and post your results and some screenshots ? I'd be VERY interested in seeing that...

Cheers,
Radiance

Check out my new HP 100/200LX Palmtop YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVChzZ62a-c4MdJWyRwdCQ

Reply 23 of 39, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I spotted a US Psion 5 on ebay, but at $180... owich. Not saying it's not worth it, just that my budget is a bit tight for that much.
It'd be neat running X11 on a Psion 5, then sshing onto my Linux phone with it! (I'd need a USB-C to RS232 converter).

I wonder if one could run Desqview/X on the 200LX?
I guess not, since it requires an mmu... like a 386 or better.

Reply 24 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote on 2021-12-31, 15:36:
I spotted a US Psion 5 on ebay, but at $180... owich. Not saying it's not worth it, just that my budget is a bit tight for that […]
Show full quote

I spotted a US Psion 5 on ebay, but at $180... owich. Not saying it's not worth it, just that my budget is a bit tight for that much.
It'd be neat running X11 on a Psion 5, then sshing onto my Linux phone with it! (I'd need a USB-C to RS232 converter).

Send me a PM and I might be able to help you out with obtaining an affordable Psion Series 5...

According to wikipedia Desqview/X runs on 8086 CPUs, so it should work...

Radiance

Reply 25 of 39, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
radiance32 wrote on 2021-12-31, 19:49:
Send me a PM and I might be able to help you out with obtaining an affordable Psion Series 5... […]
Show full quote
I spotted a US Psion 5 on ebay, but at $180... owich. Not saying it's not worth it, just that my budget is a bit tight for that […]
Show full quote

Send me a PM and I might be able to help you out with obtaining an affordable Psion Series 5...

Radiance

Oh, I thought it required QEMM for memory management.

Reply 26 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote on 2022-01-05, 12:40:
Send me a PM and I might be able to help you out with obtaining an affordable Psion Series 5... […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Radiance

I think QEMM only works on 386 CPU systems as it requires extended memory capabilities / protected mode...

Cheers,
Radiance

Reply 27 of 39, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2022-01-05, 21:12:
I think QEMM only works on 386 CPU systems as it requires extended memory capabilities / protected mode... […]
Show full quote

Radiance

I think QEMM only works on 386 CPU systems as it requires extended memory capabilities / protected mode...

Cheers,
Radiance

Deskview and QEMM are 386 Protected mode applications. As I remember there is only one "multitasking" manager for DOS and 8088
MSCREEN - utility for execution two concurrent applications in pure DOS.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 28 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-01-06, 10:05:
I think QEMM only works on 386 CPU systems as it requires extended memory capabilities / protected mode... […]
Show full quote

Cheers,
Radiance

Deskview and QEMM are 386 Protected mode applications. As I remember there is only one "multitasking" manager for DOS and 8088

There is also "software carousel" which allows you to run many apps independently in DOS on 8086+ CPUs,
and it uses a swapfile to handle the large memory requirements of multiple apps...
It works on the 200LX too 😀

Terrence

Reply 29 of 39, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2022-01-06, 15:36:
There is also "software carousel" which allows you to run many apps independently in DOS on 8086+ CPUs, and it uses a swapfile t […]
Show full quote

Cheers,
Radiance

There is also "software carousel" which allows you to run many apps independently in DOS on 8086+ CPUs,
and it uses a swapfile to handle the large memory requirements of multiple apps...

Terrence

Never use it))) MSCREEN is universal, do not req. special hardware, EMS os RAM-drive, lightweight and two concurent task anytime 😉

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 30 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-01-06, 16:05:
There is also "software carousel" which allows you to run many apps independently in DOS on 8086+ CPUs, and it uses a swapfile t […]
Show full quote

Terrence

Never use it))) MSCREEN is universal, do not req. special hardware, EMS os RAM-drive, lightweight and two concurent task anytime 😉

So what happens when both of your DOS applications consume 600KB, on an 186 system (same as a 8086) ?
It must use some type of expanded memory or a swapfile not ?

Terrence

Reply 31 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

Terrence

Hi. I do also remember "Double DOS" and PC-MOS/386 (full OS).
PC-MOS/386 released under GPL
https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&searc … ry=pc-mos%2F386
https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&searc … y=desqview+8088

Older versions of MOS, at least, ran just fine on 8086/8088 systems.
For less poor 286 systems, a hardware MMU was supported/available, also.

Earlier LIMulators also supported EMS 3.x through a swap file on a fixed-disk drive, I recall.
Not sure if DESQView or similar could make use of that, though.
It favourited EEMS (or LIM 4 as a fallback) if memory serves.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 32 of 39, by igor1962

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
radiance32 wrote on 2022-01-06, 16:39:
So what happens when both of your DOS applications consume 600KB, on an 186 system (same as a 8086) ? It must use some type of e […]
Show full quote
Babasha wrote on 2022-01-06, 16:05:
Show full quote

Terrence

So what happens when both of your DOS applications consume 600KB, on an 186 system (same as a 8086) ?
It must use some type of expanded memory or a swapfile not ?

Terrence

Hello,
I'm the author of mscreen =)
as far as I remember mscreen check for all available memory extensions (hardware and software) and use it, or allow applications to use it. It doesn't use swap of course, as 8086 do not have protected mode. So programm will fail if it require more memory then it is available in system

Regards!

Reply 33 of 39, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Cheers,
Radiance

Terrence

Any ideas where to get Software Carousel for HP 200LX these days ?

Reply 34 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-07-22, 07:35:
Show full quote

Terrence

Hi,

The only way (that I know of) is to buy a license.
There's a company that sells HP 100/200LX machines and spare parts and cal sell you a carousel license.
It's called "palmtop paper": https://www.palmtoppaper.com/store/software.htm

I've searched high and low, with google etc... and never found anything else than purchasing a license from them.
I bought one, and they mailed me a package with a printed manual and a 3.5" floppy with the software,
and a license key to unlock it.

There does'nt seem to be any other place where you can download an original or cracked copy,
so I think buying the license is your only option.

I could be wrong though, and if I am, and you can find it somewhere, please let me know, I'd be very interested...

Cheers,
Terrence

Reply 35 of 39, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radiance32 wrote on 2023-07-24, 01:28:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Terrence

Hi,

There's a company that sells HP 100/200LX machines and spare parts and cal sell you a carousel license.

I've searched high and low, with google etc... and never found anything else than purchasing a license from them.
I bought one, and they mailed me a package with a printed manual and a 3.5" floppy with the software,

There does'nt seem to be any other place where you can download an original or cracked copy,

I could be wrong though, and if I am, and you can find it somewhere, please let me know, I'd be very interested...

Cheers,
Terrence

Checked this website, Super Software Carousel - $89.97. I'd be glad to buy it, but the price ... That's sad.

Reply 36 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-07-24, 13:57:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Cheers,
Terrence

Checked this website, Super Software Carousel - $89.97. I'd be glad to buy it, but the price ... That's sad.

Hi there! It seems that site is ~20 years old and hasn't been updated since. 😟
https://web.archive.org/web/20030120164647/ht … re/software.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 37 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-07-24, 18:39:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Cheers,
Terrence

They still respond though, as I have purchased a parallel port PCMCIA card or the 200LX and sotware carousel from them approx 1.5 years ago...

Terrence

Reply 38 of 39, by Helix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
radiance32 wrote on 2023-07-24, 22:19:

They still respond though, as I have purchased a parallel port PCMCIA card or the 200LX and sotware carousel from them approx 1.5 years ago...

Terrence

Hello,
I was interested in Software Carousel for my HP 200LX, so I sent them an e-mail to confirm availability of this product, but never got a reply.
In fact, I’m almost sure that Palmtoppaper.com is a dead site.

They have another site which seems more recent, Usedhandhelds.com. It’s the same physical and e-mail address than Palmtoppaper. Unfortunately, Software Carousel for the HP palmtop is out of stock on this site:
https://www.usedhandhelds.com/softwarecarouse … -the-hp-palmtop

Usedhandhelds is also active on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/str/usedhandhelds
But again, no trace of Software Carousel. My conclusion is that it is definitively sold out.
It’s a pity that this software is no longer available...

Last edited by Helix on 2023-09-10, 22:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 39, by radiance32

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm willing to sell you my copy.
It's original, with manual in the plastic cover,
with a disk and the license key.
Never used...

Please contact me on terrence dot vergauwen at gmail dot com to discuss...

Terrence

Helix wrote on 2023-09-10, 22:20:
Hello, I was interested in Software Carousel for my HP 200LX, so I sent them an e-mail to confirm availability of this product, […]
Show full quote
radiance32 wrote on 2023-07-24, 22:19:

Terrence

Hello,
I was interested in Software Carousel for my HP 200LX, so I sent them an e-mail to confirm availability of this product, but never got a reply.
In fact, I’m almost sure that Palmtoppaper.com is a dead site.

They have another site which seems more recent, Usedhandhelds.com. It’s the same physical and e-mail address than Palmtoppaper. Unfortunately, Software Carousel for the HP palmtop is out of stock on this site:
https://www.usedhandhelds.com/softwarecarouse … -the-hp-palmtop

Userhandhelds is also active on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/str/usedhandhelds
But again, no trace of Software Carousel. My conclusion is that it is definitively sold out.
It’s a pity that this software is no longer available...