VOGONS

First post, by ante1234and

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi

i recently installed a ati rage ll pci card into my retro pc with win98se.
it boots up fine but when i'm about to install the driver for it, it says "no display hardware detected"
what should i do? i can only have up to 16 colors and can't change to true color 32

Reply 2 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have seen that also. Drivers that are easy to find on the web seem to always be super picky about what ATI card/version they work with, there's only one card in the universe for them and they deny the existence of any other card, well the auto install scripts do. However, point the windows hardware wizard to "This directory with the drivers in right here" and they should pick up and install fine.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 6, by ante1234and

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LubieCipy wrote on 2021-12-17, 14:42:

What driver version are you using? I have the same problem with ati cards when using the installer but manual installation always worked

LubieCipy wrote on 2021-12-17, 14:42:

What driver version are you using? I have the same problem with ati cards when using the installer but manual installation always worked

i'm using ATI windows 95/98 display driver w82420en, that version came out august 1998

when i'm doing setup, i get a error message that says this:
ATI mach64 family display adaptor not found

Reply 4 of 6, by ante1234and

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have th ati 3d rage ll pci graphics card but when i check dxdiag ig says standard pci graphics adapter (vga)

i maybe using the wrong driver, however, which one is the right one?
here is my specs:

pentium 3 500 mhz
384 mb ram
windows 98se
soundblaster 16 isa soundcard

Reply 5 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We always knew Vlad was cool because he has a black belt in judo, can kill wild tigers with his bare hands and rides horses in sub zero temperatures shirtless, but the fact that he's into vintage PCs makes him even cooler.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 6, by LubieCipy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ante1234and wrote on 2021-12-18, 22:01:

i have th ati 3d rage ll pci graphics card but when i check dxdiag ig says standard pci graphics adapter (vga)

i maybe using the wrong driver, however, which one is the right one?

Win98SE should have a built-in driver. But also you can use the driver from this page https://vintage3d.org. Works for my RageII+DVD

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-12-19, 02:40:

We always knew Vlad was cool because he has a black belt in judo, can kill wild tigers with his bare hands and rides horses in sub zero temperatures shirtless, but the fact that he's into vintage PCs makes him even cooler.

You just make my day better 😀
Other world leaders also love vintage PC 😉