VOGONS

First post, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone ever tried to use a brand new SATA DVD drive using a SATA-to-IDE adapter successfully in Windows 95/98?

I'm asking because of "failing drives" or the like. It could very well be the capacitors on my motherboard need to be replaced, but if the drive itself is proven to be failing, I wonder how a SATA optical drive would work using one of those IDE converters plugged into the back on these older systems.

Discuss!

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 2 of 2, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I took the drive in question out and put it in a slightly newer and known good Windows 98 system and THAT system had problem reading discs. So I'm thinking the problem is the drive itself. I can see no damage on the inside of the drive when I take it apart, though. Laser lens is clean, slides still have lithium grease on them, eject mechanism still works fine. It's just trying to read data from a disc - sometimes it works for a few seconds and sometimes it outright refuses to read anything. I'm gonna look into getting a replacement of some kind.

Oh snap, I just realized that I'd still need the audio pass-through cable for old DOS and Win9x games. Well crapbaskets....

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png