VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been wanting to install one of these (probably 360k) in my Windows 98 PC, just because I've never used one before and I'm curious about it. But I can't find any of these in my area, and eBay prices mostly range from 100-150 bucks. To me that seems like a lot of money for a disk drive, but maybe that's the normal price? I know these things are pretty old and from what I've heard they're pretty prone to failure.

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes unfortunately, they seem to have been "up there" for while now, not really a temporary spike by the look of it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Inflated Ebay prices are the "I need it now" price. Normally I pay between $35 and $50 for 5.25" drives. My last Teac FD-55GFR was around $45 a few months ago when I bought it.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes good "tested" 5.25" floppy drives have been expensive for a year or two... once in a while one shows up for around $50-60.
I do not trust anyone on ebay that says "untested, pulled from working machine"or similar... like WTF ??? If the machine was working why not test the parts before pulling them out or are you fibbing ?? 😒

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun