VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you guys know any crazy internal cdroms models, that are different then standard open tray cdroms?
Everyone knows slotin:

s-l300.jpg

Multispin is something else too:

nec-multispin-6xi-cdr-502-internal-1-2f0f139cbd8528c3856911c411f76855.jpg

And sometimes on ebay you see strange ones. I don't know what model is that (write name if you do)

Image-001-2021-12-26.jpg

Do you know any others weird or goodlooking ones?
Also, all standard cdroms are quite long (goes deep inside). Do you know any 5.25 drive models, that are as short as possible?

Reply 1 of 17, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

749px-Nakamichi_MJ_5_16_1.jpg
Nothing really special though, just a cd changer

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Plextor 6plex and 8plex used a caddy and a swing down door look like these:

Attachments

• PX-63cs.jpg
    Filename
    PX-63cs.jpg
    File size
    33.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • PX-83CS.jpg
    Filename
    PX-83CS.jpg
    File size
    10.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Top pic on OP is known as a slot load if you want to search for them. The NEC multispin, I own one with a SCSI interface, can't remember if it was completely non-functional, or just wasn't bootable on the controller I was using, which was a requirement when I was last playing with SCSI CD-ROMs.

Edit: Don't have a pic handy but there's some old, maybe only 1x and 2x drives, where the whole front and drive mechanism slides out.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 17, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

like this one
B7xue_23tN9JmLkdcCSrqnBSdM_MsLYz2wE9CLG338rlwVKjIdSskg8SqiArnEx7zY_NZnZ0OWo5GHeYDRYFwKy70alq5Op8iQkNiPdhsxOBw-c3

mitsucdrom.jpg

Mitsumi CRMC-LUOO5S 1x CD-ROM

Last edited by weedeewee on 2021-12-27, 06:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 8 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-26, 18:32:
like this one https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/B7xue_23tN9JmLkdcCSrqnBSdM_MsLYz2wE9CLG338rlwVKjIdSskg8SqiArnEx7zY_NZnZ0OW […]
Show full quote

like this one
B7xue_23tN9JmLkdcCSrqnBSdM_MsLYz2wE9CLG338rlwVKjIdSskg8SqiArnEx7zY_NZnZ0OWo5GHeYDRYFwKy70alq5Op8iQkNiPdhsxOBw-c3

I can assure you, this didn't work the way you wanted, no one else can see this image.

If this is an image from Google Photos, you may want to follow my advice here: Re: Televideo Telewave Audio 32 sound card, questions about its onboard wavetable ROM

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's weird is that I could see the image earlier.... meant to say, "Yah that's it" but got distracted, now I come back and it won't load... was maybe on the other machine though, but that was still latest Chrome but 32bit not 64bit.

Edit: Oh maybe I had a google account logged in on that one, hmmm.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think there were a couple of CD / floppy combo drives at one point - definitely one from TEAC; can't remember the other brand

Edit - found this pic, and drivers still available (AT interface only) on archive.org

TEAC DUAL-DRIVE-CF-506-CD-55A-Super-Quad-4X-CD.jpg
Filename
TEAC DUAL-DRIVE-CF-506-CD-55A-Super-Quad-4X-CD.jpg
File size
23.55 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by PC Hoarder Patrol on 2021-12-27, 05:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-12-27, 04:53:

Think there were a couple of CD / floppy combo drives at one point - definitely one from TEAC; can't remember the other brand

Just turned that one up in a Twitter post when I was looking for the floppy styled one... https://twitter.com/foone/status/1253034869975732224

Reply 12 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange, on the other machine again, not logged into a chrome profile or into a google account but I can see the image weedeewee posted inline in the thread. I can't open it in a new window, or save it, but I did manage to copy it and paste it into a new file...

Attachments

• mitsucdrom.jpg
    Filename
    mitsucdrom.jpg
    File size
    34.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Slide out CDROM
    File license

Reply 13 of 17, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote on 2021-12-27, 04:45:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-26, 18:32:
like this one https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/B7xue_23tN9JmLkdcCSrqnBSdM_MsLYz2wE9CLG338rlwVKjIdSskg8SqiArnEx7zY_NZnZ0OW […]
Show full quote

like this one

I can assure you, this didn't work the way you wanted, no one else can see this image.

If this is an image from Google Photos, you may want to follow my advice here: Re: Televideo Telewave Audio 32 sound card, questions about its onboard wavetable ROM

actually, it's a link from google cache, since it seemed that the original website no longer exists.
and it also seemed to work for, as you said, only a moment. I'll see if I can fix it using the info you provided.
edit: can't seem to fix it since link is dead and google already updated its cache to point to the image now posted by bitwrangler.
So fixing it by pointing to bitwrangler's photo .

Bitwrangler, that same link is now dead for me. 🙁

Do not ask Why !

Reply 15 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Niezgodka wrote on 2021-12-26, 19:50:

Can somebody identify the bottom model from first post, and the one with card reader?

Not had any luck with the one that looks like a floppy, nor the model of the one with the card reader, but I think Emprex is just a brand name used by BTC. The drive seems an earlier model from their Dual Digital Storage range - here's a later CD-RW / DVD ROM / card reader combo

Filename
BCO5216ib_e.pdf
File size
813.74 KiB
Downloads
44 downloads
File license

Reply 16 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote on 2021-12-26, 16:29:

Also, all standard cdroms are quite long (goes deep inside). Do you know any 5.25 drive models, that are as short as possible?

Smallest IDE drive I own is a GCE-8481B I think.

For SATA what your looking for are cheap late model OEM drives where cost was more important then quality.
The final years when optical drives came as standard are a safe bet as good chance the dive was never even used.

Reply 17 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2021-12-29, 10:02:
Smallest IDE drive I own is a GCE-8481B I think. […]
Show full quote
Niezgodka wrote on 2021-12-26, 16:29:

Smallest IDE drive I own is a GCE-8481B I think.

For SATA what your looking for are cheap late model OEM drives where cost was more important then quality.
The final years when optical drives came as standard are a safe bet as good chance the dive was never even used.

One of the 16x DVD burners was shorter than average, I think it was the one that nobody on CDfreaks or similar sites liked because it was lacking the best features for piracy. A Hitachi model I'm thinking.