VOGONS

First post, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Socket 370 PC used to work but now i just get a siren sound, no video, no keyboard light. I tried switching the PSU but i get the same problem, sometimes it powers on without the Siren sound but still no boot. Thermal Paste was already replaced in this with MX4 months back and as you can see in the pics, there are a lot of fans in this. So i don’t understand why it would be an overheating issue, i even tested it without the soundcards, 1 gpu, 1 ram stick and same issue. Do you know what could be at fault especially with an old rig like this? What does a Siren sound mean? Could it be bad capacitors on the motherboard, they have not been replaced? Or could it be something else?

Attachments

Last edited by iVirtualZero on 2022-01-08, 19:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Caps in the VRM near theCPU are 100% defective.
Epox mainboards had a lot of these issues back then (Socket 7, Socket 370). The siren sound might indicate wrong or dirty (core-) voltages.

Otherwise these Epox boards were great!

Just recap the upper half of the board (all the larger dark green ones) and be happy.

Last edited by majestyk on 2022-01-08, 19:20. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't heard the siren sound before but you can do a loose connection elimination. Remove and install components and then if it doesn't go away swap out components with others like the gpu and memory to find the offender.
Knowlege of using a multimeter to test caps would be an idea but you'd see the bulges if they were faulty.
My 370 modo has worn out DIMMS someties I have to re instal the DIMMS. (GONNA HOT GLUE THE SUCKER)

Reply 4 of 8, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-01-08, 19:10:

Haven't heard the siren sound before but you can do a loose connection elimination. Remove and install components and then if it doesn't go away swap out components with others like the gpu and memory to find the offender.
Knowlege of using a multimeter to test caps would be an idea but you'd see the bulges if they were faulty.
My 370 modo has worn out DIMMS someties I have to re instal the DIMMS. (GONNA HOT GLUE THE SUCKER)

I already tried that, i disconnected as many parts as i could but have to keep the GPU on there since my PC doesn’t have any video ports. I even used Isopropyl Alcohol 99% to clean the ports with no luck.

Reply 5 of 8, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2022-01-08, 19:09:

Caps in the VRM near theCPU are 100% defective.
Epox mainboards had a lot of these issues back then (Socket 7, Socket 370). The siren sound might indicate wrong or dirty (core-) voltages.

Otherwise these Epox boards were great!

Thanks some caps are bulgy. I will just order them off Mouser and give this motherboard a full recap.

Reply 6 of 8, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I´m sure it´s not just the bulging ones but 95% of the whole lot.

Rubycon ZLS or ZLH or Panasonic Low ESR are a perfect choice

Last edited by majestyk on 2022-01-08, 19:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is indeed often but not necessarily always the case . Capacitors can fail/got out of spec even with no apparent outward sign of failure .

That being, some of the caps do look possibly bulged to me on the photo (could just be due to lighting, though).

EDIT : As OP has just confirmed .

Reply 8 of 8, by iVirtualZero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-01-08, 19:24:
That is indeed often but not necessarily always the case . Capacitors can fail/got out of spec even with no apparent outward sig […]
Show full quote

That is indeed often but not necessarily always the case . Capacitors can fail/got out of spec even with no apparent outward sign of failure .

That being, some of the caps do look possibly bulged to me on the photo (could just be due to lighting, though).

EDIT : As OP has just confirmed .

Yes those ones are bulging. It’s not lighting.