VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I recently made the change from a socket 775 based system with a Q6600 and GTX 570 to a socket 1155, i7 and GTX 750Ti based one, with new RAM, cooler, HDDs and PSU. However, I keep having the same problems I had with the earlier system. I am running Windows 7 64-bit with all updates and drivers.

Basically, from time to time either my image freezes with artifacts (I managed to get a picture this time) or I get a sudden message that the drivers stopped responding, reinitializing the drivers in Windows and proceeding as normal. The card is not at high temperatures at all at 45ºc max. and the message does not come at particular times of stress for the card. This was exactly what used to happen to my earlier system with the GTX 570, that I now have with the totally revamped system with my "new" 750 Ti. The GTX 570 soldiered on until one day it just died as it wasn't no longer able to display image in Windows (not being able to initialize the drivers I imagine) and after struggling to obtain an image it just gave out.

I tried downloading and installing earlier drivers with the current 750 Ti and it didn't work. I thought I was in the clear with this problem as I changed absolutely everything inside the PC for many reasons, but I fear the same might happen this time: the time span between these ocurrences keeps diminishing until the GPU isn't able to start the drivers in Windows anymore and just dies.

How can the same exact problem happen with two absolutely different systems? Thank you for your help, I for one am lost in this one

Attachments

Reply 2 of 14, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-09, 01:05:
andre_6 wrote on 2022-01-09, 01:00:

How can the same exact problem happen with two absolutely different systems? Thank you for your help, I for one am lost in this one

I'm guessing there's some common components. How about the monitor?

Thanks for the fast reply, yes, the monitor and speakers are the same. LG W1942S and Creative Inspire P380. The case is also the same, Nox Coolbay.

Edit: oh, and both LG DVD drives!

Reply 3 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's possible that you replaced one faulty GPU with another faulty GPU (especially if bought on ebay).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 14, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2022-01-09, 01:24:

It's possible that you replaced one faulty GPU with another faulty GPU (especially if bought on ebay).

It sure is possible, but given that I went through 5 GPUs in 14 years (some of them bought as new in store) with the previous socket 775 system you would understand if I'm a little paranoid. But even if the problems are exactly the same between the old and new system you made me think of a particular point, with this system and the 750 Ti the sharpest and indeed best image is obtained at 60Hz in this monitor, 75hz is much less sharp and "blurry". All the other cards were the other way round, they had their best image at 75Hz with this monitor. Is this relevant?

Reply 6 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious what the GPU temperature is if the computer is left on for a few hours if the computer is just sitting idle.
Been running Win 7 Sp1 on multiple computers with out issue, best one is Asrock Z370 with I7-8770K since 2018 with GTX960 and been rock solid and the GPU idles for hours at 21c just a few degrees above room temp.
Ohh One thing I found with Windows 7 is that the Intel Management Engine software (Intel ME) can cause issues so never install it.
It leaves a yellow flag on a PCI Simple Communication Controller in Device Manager which I then disable. It is not needed under Win7....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 14, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-09, 01:58:

Did you reinstall Windows 7? Have you tried Windows XP or Vista?

Yes I reinstalled Win7 with all updates, I want to keep this build as my Win7 build and move on to a more modern PC as soon as I'm able to. I did the same to my XP one

Horun wrote on 2022-01-09, 02:03:
Curious what the GPU temperature is if the computer is left on for a few hours if the computer is just sitting idle. Been runni […]
Show full quote

Curious what the GPU temperature is if the computer is left on for a few hours if the computer is just sitting idle.
Been running Win 7 Sp1 on multiple computers with out issue, best one is Asrock Z370 with I7-8770K since 2018 with GTX960 and been rock solid and the GPU idles for hours at 21c just a few degrees above room temp.
Ohh One thing I found with Windows 7 is that the Intel Management Engine software (Intel ME) can cause issues so never install it.
It leaves a yellow flag on a PCI Simple Communication Controller in Device Manager which I then disable. It is not needed under Win7....

Thanks for the suggestions, I just uninstalled Intel Management Engine in Device Manager so let's give that a shot. This GPU never went above 45ºc (25ºc right now), and the fans are frankly quite silent all the time, though running. I tend to have the freezing or driver failing problems once a week now, and when I'm not gaming funny enough. With the 5 killed GPUs in my previous socket 775 system I blamed the board or PSU, but after the same problems in a totally revamped system I just don't know

Reply 9 of 14, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2022-01-09, 07:26:

Same PSU across both builds? My money is on a weak PSU that flys dangerously close to browning out a voltage rail.

No, everything is new except for the case, both DVD drives, monitor and speakers. Like I said I blamed the previous socket 775 system's PSU or Board, but now with this newer socket 1155 system I just don't know anymore, the socket 775 system went through 5 GPUs, and now with the 1155 based one after a few weeks I already have been having this GPU issue again

Reply 10 of 14, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andre_6 wrote on 2022-01-09, 02:14:
Yes I reinstalled Win7 with all updates, I want to keep this build as my Win7 build and move on to a more modern PC as soon as I […]
Show full quote

Yes I reinstalled Win7 with all updates, I want to keep this build as my Win7 build and move on to a more modern PC as soon as I'm able to. I did the same to my XP one

Curious what the GPU temperature is if the computer is left on for a few hours if the computer is just sitting idle. Been runni […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the suggestions, I just uninstalled Intel Management Engine in Device Manager so let's give that a shot. This GPU never went above 45ºc (25ºc right now), and the fans are frankly quite silent all the time, though running. I tend to have the freezing or driver failing problems once a week now, and when I'm not gaming funny enough. With the 5 killed GPUs in my previous socket 775 system I blamed the board or PSU, but after the same problems in a totally revamped system I just don't know

For clarification, my suggestion was to install XP and/or Vista to determine if the problem occurs in either/both of these operating systems; not to repurpose them. You could also install Windows 7 without updates, and then keep updating and successively test until the problem reoccurs.

Last edited by Snover on 2024-02-15, 21:32. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 137350

Reply 11 of 14, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-09, 15:40:
andre_6 wrote on 2022-01-09, 02:14:
Yes I reinstalled Win7 with all updates, I want to keep this build as my Win7 build and move on to a more modern PC as soon as I […]
Show full quote

Show full quote

For clarification, my suggestion was to install XP and/or Vista to determine if the problem occurs in either/both of these operating systems; not to repurpose them. You could also install Windows 7 without updates, and then keep updating and successively test until the problem reoccurs.

I will keep that in mind if this keeps reocurring for sure, it would be way easier if this build wasn't no longer my main one so I could tinker at will with it, but unfortunately for now I have to keep it configured to my needs. But yes I too am leaning more towards a software problem than a hardware one, but I'm open to all possibilities at this point

Reply 12 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I take it the RAM is different between the two systems too? What about power source? Not the PSU, but the outlet or any power strip or UPS that it's connected to?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 14, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2022-01-09, 17:04:

I take it the RAM is different between the two systems too? What about power source? Not the PSU, but the outlet or any power strip or UPS that it's connected to?

Yes, RAM is also different.

I only have one possible power outlet where I am, but I plugged the PC directly into the outlet to avoid the possibility of a bad power strip or inbetween issues. The power outlet was professionally installed and revised but I can ask to give it another look. Maybe it's irrelevant but all the other builds (albeit older, XP, Win98SE...) never had a problem, it was always this PC in both versions from 2008 up to today, going to the 5th or 6th GPU since then. A small aside, is an LCD monitor capable of killing GPUs?... I have had it for almost the entirety of that period.

The 750 Ti's specific lower power consumption was also the reason I upgraded to it, well, apart from the GTX 570 dying

Reply 14 of 14, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

clueless1 wrote on 2022-01-09, 17:04:

I must clarify, I had the PC plugged directly into the power outlet instead of a strip following your suggestion, and along with uninstalling the Intel Management Engine software everything ran well since, I used to have the issue once a week and it has held on until now, fingers crossed. Will keep an eye on it but I feel confident at last. Credit where it's due and thank you both for your help, and all the other replies!