VOGONS

First post, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

I finally scored a slot A motherboard + K7 700Mhz "pluto". But I am having random instabilities and problems with it :

- Single sided 256MB modules aren't recognized, some double sided are/some aren't

- USB flash drives won't work, they get recognized and installed but when you insert a flash drive, it disconnects and reconnects and so on. Usb floppy drive works fine.

- I purchased a pair of V2 and replaced the V3 with a temp Radeon 7500. Now machine freezes when desktop loads. With no V2 drivers everything works as it should. Are there some issues with V2's and early Radeons?

- Bios just won't recognize my 32GB PATA SSD drive by Transcend, it works great on BX, VIA apolo chipsets. Even If i auto configure it, can't install windows because I get damaged sector error on scandisk.

Any help is really appreciated.

edit:
I have a newer PSU ( Corsair cx430), lack of -5V shouldn't be a problem?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given the randomness and that the board was produced during the early days of the capacitor plagues, it might be worth having a look at all of the large electrolytic capacitors, particularly around the CPU, northbridge and RAM. Might also be worth checking you've got the latest BIOS (1.8). Version 1.7 added support for 65GB HDD, so maybe that's the problem with the SSD.

On the RAM, this is the page from the manual:

MSI_6195_K7Pro_SDRAM.jpg
Filename
MSI_6195_K7Pro_SDRAM.jpg
File size
46.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's not a very clear table and I think there's a typo for the first two 64Mbit entries (2 64Mbit chips would give 16MBytes, not 32MB), but even though the board apparently supports 768MB, it doesn't actually list any 256MB sticks, so it might be quite picky about exactly which DRAM chips are on the stick. The second set of 64Mb entries do at least suggest it supports 4 internal banks, so it shouldn't be too bad. But it might have problems with the extra address bit that a 256MB single sided stick would need compared with double sided. It's not listed, but an updated BIOS might have helped improve SDRAM options.

Reply 2 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 for caps, MSI boards from that era were notorious. Apart from the caps they are very decent boards though, so by all means keep it and replace the caps.

As for RAM capacity, the board has an AMD 750 chipset, which can be considered equivalent to i440BX for memory purposes. That means it eats max 128Mb chips, so to get 256MB requires a DIMM with 16 chips with 16Mx8 structure. Three of those would let you get to 768MB total.

Reply 3 of 7, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

None of the caps look bulged, but I heard they go bad and stay flat sometimes. Pc now runs stable (with only one 256MB stick, so I guess it didn't like previous configuration. USB issues remain, but there must be some driver issue, because if it were HW, usb floppy also wouldn't work?

Weird thing about my voodoos also, I installed those 2.1 updates and it is now working, yay, but weird still. Lost a few years of life troubleshooting this darn thing 😁

So now all I need is another stick of memory that will work and try to get my ssd to get recognized, if not, I'll just use the 80GB HDD that's currently in it.

Reply 4 of 7, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sli now works, but in doesn't do much in quake 3. 800x600 fps went from 33 to 37 with weird slowdowns during the run. Is this because they are 8MB versions?

Attachments

Reply 5 of 7, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In 3dmark I get only 3200 points. Does this look ok?

4MB frame buffer and total texture 4MB?

Attachments

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With SLI you only gain framebuffer capacity, which is why you can go up to 1024x768. Voodoo2 8MB is essentially like a Voodoo1 4MB for texture storage. This will cause stuttering problems with many games you might want to run on Voodoo2 unless you can reduce texture quality. However, even a Voodoo2 12MB is not so great in this respect. Voodoo3 is far superior because the 16MB RAM is unified.

Some (most?) Voodoo2 drivers do have an Athlon incompatibility that causes freezes. There was an Athlon Voodoo2 driver package on Falconfly that I use with Athlons.

I'm not sure if a Radeon 7500 will approve of AMD 750 AGP. I found the most compatibility with AGP 2X cards like TNT or Voodoo3.

Reply 7 of 7, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, I guess I will have to upgrade the memory to make them useful for glide games. I'm leaning towards keeping the V3 in this machine and putting V2 in my socket A or Tualatin machine+some GF3 or 4 for newer games and make it a bit of an all arounder. This will also make 256MB of memoy more than enough so I have one less thing to worry about.

Radeon actually worked ok-ish, a bit low fps, but the athlon isn't all that fast anyway.