VOGONS

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, i have found an old Pentium 1 PC. But unfortunately i am struggeling with the keyboard.

When i start the pc, it shows me an error, that my ps2 keyboard is not connected, but all the leds on it are working and i can reset the PC viia ctrl alt and delete. after waiting on this error it automatically opens the bios and i can go through the menu with the keyboard, but as soon as i exit and restart the keyboard error appears again.

what could be wrong?

Reply 1 of 19, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

test old pentium 1 pc with other keyboard .
if error persist
problem with motherboard
else
problem with first keyboard

ps. in the bios change the halt on all errors option.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 19, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THX Somehow after a while, I can use it normal, can also pass the boot and go manually into BIOS, but strange that the error still appears. I tested it on the other PC with PS2 and there where no errors, but there are also no errors if its not plugged in. THe halt on all errors option is unfortunately not in my bios

Reply 3 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try with typematic rates setting on and off, and look for a KBC clock setting and set that lowest option also.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah is it maybe an OEM model? Thus "It works with the keyboard we shipped it with" ... meaning you might be in for swapping keyboards around until you find one it likes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 19, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is an IBM PC, so you are maybe right, i need to have a IBM keyboard Could be the case since mainboard looks like a non retail version. but how would a Ps2 port detect a "special" keyboard?

One thing i found out, it shows the error only on power up, while resetting it with keyboard the error is not present anymore until, next power up.

Reply 7 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What keyboard and what IBM PC exactly?

Old IBM keyboards (Model F, Model M) were notoriously power-hungry, drawing many times as much as say a simple Cherry board. That meant that some systems (and KVM switches, and USB adapters) specifically have trouble with them if they can't supply all that power over PS/2.

There's also the difference in protocol between XT and AT keyboards, despite the same connector. Some keyboards (non-IBM) had a switch to choose between them. In the wrong setting it won't work. Doesn't sound too likely here though.

Reply 8 of 19, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-01-19, 00:49:

What keyboard and what IBM PC exactly?

Old IBM keyboards (Model F, Model M) were notoriously power-hungry, drawing many times as much as say a simple Cherry board. That meant that some systems (and KVM switches, and USB adapters) specifically have trouble with them if they can't supply all that power over PS/2.

There's also the difference in protocol between XT and AT keyboards, despite the same connector. Some keyboards (non-IBM) had a switch to choose between them. In the wrong setting it won't work. Doesn't sound too likely here though.

Could also be the keyboard has a small IC that has identifier information on it the keyboard bios is trying to read at post, seems something IBM would have done back in the day to prevent people using any non IBM keyboard with the PC.

Reply 11 of 19, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
atom1kk wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:44:

The pc is an ibm aptiva 2151 30a. I did not have any ps2 keyboards so i bought one feom ebay, a fujitsu Siemens, KBPC SX D, S26381-K397-V120

Aptiva

Ah well there's ya problem, im guessing it'll have some proprietary shit going on and its looking for and expecting an IBM Aptiva keyboard.

You might find one on eBay that will work.

Reply 12 of 19, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might be good if you can borrow another PS/2 keyboard to test with the computer. I think that the keyboard controller has separate pins for input and output on to the clock and data lines. If either the clock or data output connections to the connector have failed then the computer won't be able to signal to the keyboard to reset itself. So the keyboard will never send the acknowledge back that would be expected and would look like it wasn't connected. But the keyboard powers up in a sensible default state, so if the inputs to the keyboard controller are ok then the keyboard would still work. There is a PS/2 identify device command, but I think keyboards all have the same response.

If you get in the BIOS, do numlock/capslock/syslock turn their LEDs on and off correctly? I think their status is controlled by the keyboard controller.

Reply 14 of 19, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When power is first applied the keyboard will do it's own self test, including turning the lights on and off. Caps lock LED might be controlled by the keyboard (I thought it was the controller). Do num lock and syslock work as well?

[edit: just thought, is there a CMOS battery in this machine and does it need changing? Flat or nearly flat batteries can apparently cause some odd effects.]

Last edited by snufkin on 2022-01-19, 16:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 19, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
atom1kk wrote on 2022-01-19, 12:44:

The pc is an ibm aptiva 2151 30a. I did not have any ps2 keyboards so i bought one feom ebay, a fujitsu Siemens, KBPC SX D, S26381-K397-V120

Hey by any chance do you have the drivers for this PC and Motherboard? I cant tell what motherboard is inside.