VOGONS

First post, by RainyState

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I first wanted to thank everyone involved in this forum. I am a new member but have been very grateful for all the information I've learned over the last couple years as I have revived an old Dell XPS PII gaming system running windows 95.

I wanted to get a dedicated DOS machine, and was given an 'Ambra' brand machine with Blue lightening CPU, and very basic 'SurePath' Bios. Last night I got the machine set up with a compact flash IDE drive, running DOS 6.22 installed from original diskettes. After playing SIM City for a bit, I shut the machine down for the night.

This morning I went to boot the computer and get the '19990305' error after posting. I have tried booting from the original HHD (that has worked previously), tried removing all fixed disks and booting from multiple startup disks on 2 different 3.5" drives with the same error. Also reseated the memory, ide cables, and clock chip.

I am stuck at this point and was wondering if the community had any suggestions?
Thanks,
Theo

Reply 2 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... '19990305' error leads to No Bootable Device on some computers including IBM (which Ambra is) . Have you gone into the BIOS to see if it still shows a floppy drive and does it match the type (assuming 1.44MB)...
Does the BIOS have the correct Date/Time ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 9, by RainyState

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The BIOS does keep the correct Date/Time, but has always thrown error messages at boot (CMOS values corrupt, and configuration error). I can go in and manually select the correct A drive (3.5", 1.44mb) and it shows under system summary, however upon the next boot it is disabled. After leaving it alone for a couple hours it actually booted to DOS twice (once from startup disk and once from the hard drive), but all subsequent attempts resulted in the '19990305' error. Could this just be a totally dead Dallas clock chip? I didn't think a dead CMOS battery would prevent it from booting (sorry if this is obvious, this is new to me).

Reply 4 of 9, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Ambra (a Sprinta 1) also has a dead CMOS battery (scrub that, it has no CMOS battery after I yanked it when it started leaking) but boots just fine after I update the BIOS settings when its powered up. Actually, might be a good idea to check yours to make sure that battery isn't in the process of leaking all over the board (assuming its a Varta type and is still in place).

Reply 5 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes most DALLAS can keep time but not hold CMOS settings when the battery gets low (just before failing), it is one indicator of the internal battery being below 3v.
The clock can usually run down to about 2.7v but the CMOS cannot keep refreshed at that below about 2.9v from my experience. Yes either mod the DALLAS with external battery or buy a new one.
Which Dallas RTC is it ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by RainyState

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After doing the external battery mod, the 'CMOS values corrupt' error is cleared. However the 'configuration error' persists, and system configuration isn't stored. From what I understand the CMOS ram is actually stored on this IC. I ordered a new Maxim DS12887+ replacement so that will hopefully solve the problem.

Reply 8 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried clearing the CMOS settings using whatever jumper is the official clear jumper? It's wasn't the same machine, but I think there was a recent thread where someone was still having problems after replacing a battery, which were fixed once they did a proper clear CMOS.
Re: IBM PS/1 2155-593 POST Error 164