VOGONS

First post, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone have to pin out of the front panel header for hooking up the case lights and switch's for the dell version of this board. of course dell couldn't just use the standard pin out. all the manuals i can find only show the standard pin out not the dell version.

Reply 2 of 5, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote on 2022-01-19, 00:12:

Maybe this helps: https://www.roberthancock.com/dell/fpconn.htm

Be aware that the 24-pin power connector is not ATX, it's proprietary.

Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234303646117?ssPageN … 353.m2749.l2649

i ordered one of these should have been here today but ups messed up hoping it shows up tomorrow.

are there any pins on the header for a pc speaker or are u stuck with the built is piezo beeper

Reply 3 of 5, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok so i got the board up and running. first issue was it was running bios a04 so neither my 750 or 850 slot one chips would post. so i slapped the slowest chip i had a 600 celron into power leap adapter. booted into windows 98 and made a boot floppy for the a11 bios update. got that updated.

then i swap the cpu to a 1400 celron. only issues i seem to have is keyboard in the bios don't work right. when the slower chip was in the keyboard seem to move multiple spaces with each push of the button or opening and closing menus multiple times with the enter button. with the faster chip in now u have to hold a button down a few seconds before it registers a push and then it kinda goes crazy and moves a few spaces.

when booted into dos it did weird stuff to typing letters more the once. deleting more the once.

once in windows 98 though its totally fine.

do these boards just not like usb keyboards. i don't currently have any ps/2 keyboards to try.

another thing is the dell manual says if u put the bios jumper into pin 2-3 it should go in to maintenance mode were u get an extra settings menu. however when i put the jumper on 2-3 video never comes on and the floppy drive just keeps trying to read. but everything works with the bios on pin 1-2 normal mode.

Reply 4 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaron158 wrote on 2022-01-29, 01:41:
ok so i got the board up and running. first issue was it was running bios a04 so neither my 750 or 850 slot one chips would post […]
Show full quote

ok so i got the board up and running. first issue was it was running bios a04 so neither my 750 or 850 slot one chips would post. so i slapped the slowest chip i had a 600 celron into power leap adapter. booted into windows 98 and made a boot floppy for the a11 bios update. got that updated.

then i swap the cpu to a 1400 celron. only issues i seem to have is keyboard in the bios don't work right. when the slower chip was in the keyboard seem to move multiple spaces with each push of the button or opening and closing menus multiple times with the enter button. with the faster chip in now u have to hold a button down a few seconds before it registers a push and then it kinda goes crazy and moves a few spaces.

when booted into dos it did weird stuff to typing letters more the once. deleting more the once.

do these boards just not like usb keyboards. i don't currently have any ps/2 keyboards to try.

another thing is the dell manual says if u put the bios jumper into pin 2-3 it should go in to maintenance mode were u get an extra settings menu. however when i put the jumper on 2-3 video never comes on and the floppy drive just keeps trying to read. but everything works with the bios on pin 1-2 normal mode.

I've a slightly newer version of that board (722394-112) also on a11 and don't have any of those issues with either USB keyboards or the maintenance jumper - just tried it with both a 700/100/256 Slot 1 and a 1000/100/256 Skt 370 + slotket, using my crappiest USB keyboard (happens to be a Zalman) and I got no problems with either the BIOS or at the DOS prompt. The USB keyboard also work with a PS/2 adapter.

Also, the BIOS jumper works as it should; 2-3 takes you straight from the DELL splash screen to the additional maintenance page (only option there is to clear passwords) or you can access the rest of the pages - when you exit by saving or discarding changes, you get a reminder screen to power down the system & reset the jumper to 1-2.

Reply 5 of 5, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-01-29, 10:31:
aaron158 wrote on 2022-01-29, 01:41:
ok so i got the board up and running. first issue was it was running bios a04 so neither my 750 or 850 slot one chips would post […]
Show full quote

I've a slightly newer version of that board (722394-112) also on a11 and don't have any of those issues with either USB keyboards or the maintenance jumper - just tried it with both a 700/100/256 Slot 1 and a 1000/100/256 Skt 370 + slotket, using my crappiest USB keyboard (happens to be a Zalman) and I got no problems with either the BIOS or at the DOS prompt. The USB keyboard also work with a PS/2 adapter.

Also, the BIOS jumper works as it should; 2-3 takes you straight from the DELL splash screen to the additional maintenance page (only option there is to clear passwords) or you can access the rest of the pages - when you exit by saving or discarding changes, you get a reminder screen to power down the system & reset the jumper to 1-2.

Looks like that is the same board just that one came in an OptiPlex were mine would have came in a Dimension xps.

i just pulled out another usb keyboard a Logitech G710+ and seemingly that one works in the bios perfectly. but the keyboard i normally use that has hot swappable key switchs made but some no name china company goes weird in the bios.

still can't figure out the bios jumper thing it won't show any video well on pin 2-3 but i guess since there is nothing worth while by accessing that mode there isn't much point in worrying about it.