VOGONS

First post, by 2disbetter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an HP Omnibook 425, and I would love to be able to refurbish the battery packs that I have with new cells. Does anyone know of a guide or video showing something specific to those batteries? Or do you perhaps have experience with it yourself?

Right now I am just using 4 pro Eneloop batteries, but it would be great to get cells in the old batteries and charge them through the device itself, instead of having to swap the batteries.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Happy retro'ing to you all!

Reply 1 of 3, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know that specific laptop, but a lot of battery packs just use 18650 batteries, which are quite easy to find. Not sure how easy it is to open the battery pack with damage though.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 3, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Omnibook 425 appears to have 4.8v NIMH for the battery, so using the 4x eneloop batteries is just fine and you should be able to charge those in the laptop.

If it was lithium, it gets more complicated since the early lithium packs hadn't yet standardised on 18650 li-ion cells. The Battery Management System (BMS) on the packs should be pretty simple though and will still function if the batteries are removed for replacement.

See this video for an idea of what to do with modern lithium packs (where cell balancing is important and the BMS can turn itself off forever if tripped the wrong way). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9okj71V2eg
Old laptops are easier, their BMS won't lock out and with NIMH cells, you don't need to worry about cell balancing or fire hazards so much.

To fit the cells, whether NIMH or Li-Ion, it's best to use a spot welder. I've tried using those spring loaded battery box things, but I think the laptop's power draw is high enough to go over the load that those little steel wires can handle. I say that because the runtime from AA batteries in place of the original 4/3A (17670) nimh cells was abysmal. Maybe AA batteries can't cope with that load well?
Soldering doesn't usually work well with batteries, and the heat can damage the cells.
For the spot welding, I recently got a little battery spot welder called a BIFRC DH20 pro, which does seem to work well. That along with some nickel strips would let you make up fresh packs without damaging the cells. Practise on dead batteries first to get a feel for the weld power needed and how to build the pack.
I tried replacing the 18650 cells on my Thinkpad 600 the other day, it worked but the pack didn't fit together right anymore and one of the cells got damaged so I didn't test further. I'm planning to refurbish a Libretto 70CT battery pack soon 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by 2disbetter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, from what I can tell the 4 double A NimH batteries I'm using in it would create a 4.8V source as well. That is what the battery pack originally did. I was just curious if I could use those batteries to rebuild the battery pack. I was wondering if there were any guides to specifically rebuilding the HP Omnibook battery pack, or if someone here had any experience with that. The big thing is I'd like to be able to charge the battery inside of the omnibook, as this will save on wear and tear of opening the battery holder door.