VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a PC case that’s pretty much perfect for a PC I’m building. Unfortunately, one of the plastic slots that are used to attach the front panel to the case has broken in two pieces. I’ve tried putting it back together with the strongest glue I have, but since the plastic is so thin it will never hold for long.

It’s going to be pretty much impossible to find a replacement that matches exactly, so I’m wondering, has anyone been in a situation like this before and come up with any creative solutions?

Reply 2 of 9, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something like this, dunno if it’s the exact same. One of the inner plastic surfaces has broken off.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JustRob wrote on 2022-01-21, 17:09:

Something like this, dunno if it’s the exact same. One of the inner plastic surfaces has broken off.

Well .. being an Aussie I would hit that with Liquid Nails and then gclamp the front panel in place till it dried.

You are not removing the front panel from the case again after tho. Liquid nails as the name suggests does exactly what you think it would do 🤣, you can glue iron sheeting to the walls and roof with it and itll stay put and be nearly impossible to remove once its cured.

Reply 5 of 9, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JustRob wrote on 2022-01-21, 17:29:

Yeah that is problematic as I don’t intend to do something that makes me unable to take it apart ever again. I know myself, eventually I’m going to want to change things up.

You could just glue the clip back onto the panel, I doubt it'll ever be as strong as it was originally but if I wanted to remove it again then I would do that first, liquid nails (Don't know what they call it outside of Australia) is pretty damn strong when it dries so it might be ok if you dont mess with it too often.

Reply 6 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JustRob wrote on 2022-01-21, 17:09:

Are those Lian Li parts? If so:

Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-30, 19:02:

They're avaliable on thingiverse. I've had my brother print some for me and they turned out pretty well. 3D print is certainly strong enough.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:215612

Reply 7 of 9, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, don't have a 3D printer tho.

Anyway, the panel connects pretty snugly with just the remaining three clips, but I have to adjust the drive bays a bit with a small screwdriver while putting the panel on. So I guess it's not a huge problem for now. Would be nice to have replacements as a possibility tho.

Reply 8 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JustRob wrote on 2022-01-27, 00:36:

Yeah, don't have a 3D printer tho.

Anyway, the panel connects pretty snugly with just the remaining three clips, but I have to adjust the drive bays a bit with a small screwdriver while putting the panel on. So I guess it's not a huge problem for now. Would be nice to have replacements as a possibility tho.

There are people printing them and selling them on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/1504947488

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:215612

Download STL, upload STL to Craftcloud for them to 3D print it for you, or go to the local library or makerspace to have it 3D printed.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals