VOGONS

First post, by RogrWilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My motherboard manual doesn't indicate the mounting holes. Can I use any/all of the holes which I've outlined in red circles as mounting holes? They don't look like regular mounting holes, such as those along the left side of the motherboard, and I don't want to damage any traces or cause a short. They seem to be missing the metal border I'd expect to find around a mounting hole. They do line up with the holes in my AT case, however. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and knowledge.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 3 holes in the middle of the board are mounting holes, they don't have the metal around them because probably you're expected to use plastic standoffs on those. If you need to use metal standoffs there, take care it doesn't short anything on the bottom side, and put one of those red plastic washers between the screw and the board.

With the hole near the edge of the board you need to be more careful as it's there to screw down a voltage regulator on other revisions of the board (yours doesn't have one). You could use it if you need additional support on that part of the board (for example, to keep the VLB cards from bending the board too much), but avoid using metal screws or standoffs at all costs as the metal tab on the regulators is usually connected to the Vcc pin of the CPU! Use only plastic there!!

Reply 3 of 3, by RogrWilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-01-28, 20:45:

The 3 holes in the middle of the board are mounting holes, they don't have the metal around them because probably you're expected to use plastic standoffs on those. If you need to use metal standoffs there, take care it doesn't short anything on the bottom side, and put one of those red plastic washers between the screw and the board.

With the hole near the edge of the board you need to be more careful as it's there to screw down a voltage regulator on other revisions of the board (yours doesn't have one). You could use it if you need additional support on that part of the board (for example, to keep the VLB cards from bending the board too much), but avoid using metal screws or standoffs at all costs as the metal tab on the regulators is usually connected to the Vcc pin of the CPU! Use only plastic there!!

Thanks for the reply. I don't need to use the hole for the voltage regulator and I've bought nylon standoffs for the other holes.