VOGONS

First post, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was reminded of a thread on Beyond3D a while back where we were taking a look at the Aladdin 7 chipset. It is unclear to me if any boards sporting this chipset ever reached retail or if it only gained very limited ground in specific OEM solutions. So what's all the fuss about? This wasn't your typical SS7 chipset as it had an iGPU designed by ArtX which would later go on to design the Flipper graphics chip for the Nintendo GameCube and eventually would get acquired by ATi and work primarily on the R300! The chipset apparently offered support for PC-133 SDRAM and dual-channel memory access for increased memory bandwidth that would serve the iGPU.

An archived press release gives us some more info. The press release seems to suggest that the iGPU had dual pipelines(?) and Hardware TnL(!), which is rather insane for a late 99' iGPU. All of these features would make for an undoubtedly interesting chipset both for CPU performance and iGPU that from the suggested specs would blow every other iGPU solution out of the water.

Unfortunately, it appears that only a smattering of boards ever used it and it is unclear if they were ever released on retail, these are:
PCchips M587LMR & M583LMR
Acorp 5ALI61 Plus (the non-plus, vanila 5ALI61 seems to use the Aladdin V, which makes me skeptical of the Plus using Aladdin 7)
PowerColor P561A

A few years ago, I set up a couple of alerts on eBay to notify me if anything resembling those boards ever popped up. Now, I may have goofed something up and put 'em up incorrectly, but nothing has ever come up. My question is, has anyone ever seen a board using this chipset in the wild? Even better, has anyone ever used such a board and if do you still have it perhaps? This is purely academic interest, but obscure hardware is always interesting.

Last edited by Garrett W on 2022-06-25, 19:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't own one, but would want to, for exactly the same reason you do.

It was an insane mix of high end (dual channel SDRAM, advanced GPU core) and low end (integrated graphics, So7 platform) features coming too late to compete in the performance stakes, too expensive to beat bottom-feeding SiS and Via IGP designs and too untested (particularly the GPU) to get the big companies interested.

I'm pretty unhappy with the dearth of good benchmarks from the time of its release, particularly around what happens when you use the dual channel SDRAM without using the IGP, so would love to experiment myself. So if you happen to find two after all these years...

One thing I heard is that the PC Chips boards sold mainly in Brazil. I did in fact once see an M583LMR for sale there, but the seller didn't want to ship outside the country and my non-existent Portuguese wasn't up to changing his mind.

Reply 2 of 18, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although there is basically no documentation online, there are images of the 5ALI61 Plus with the ArtX chipset.
There were also 2 other boards that used this chipset, the PowerColor P561A and the SuperTek ST-A7586B.
Both are pretty obscure like other ArtX boards, the PowerColor has a BIOS and a board image online while the SuperTek only has a BIOS image on Ultimate Retro available. (https://www.ultimateretro.net/it/motherboards/9408)

Attachments

• acorpartx.png
    Filename
    acorpartx.png
    File size
    629.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    5ALI61 Plus
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fresh off playing Pinball on the school computers.

Reply 4 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So that pictured board is dual channel sd ram? It has three slots though?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a vague recollection of maybe coming across that chipset in an Acer NLX/LPX type machine, smaller form factor with three card risers... though not a complementary recollection... seem to recall that they barely ran the supplied ME install, most flakily, and drivers didn't install on 98, and didn't exist for XP... some acquaintances were struggling with them barely post-millennially, and they were such pigs and caps were going bloaty, that I said best thing to do was get a "normal" case and throw ANY other parts into it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 18, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-26, 03:35:

It's not uncommon for the era, there used to be dual channel DDR boards for Pentium 4 and Athlon XP systems that also came with 3 slots instead of 2 or 4.

Reply 7 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote on 2022-04-26, 08:33:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-04-26, 03:35:

It's not uncommon for the era, there used to be dual channel DDR boards for Pentium 4 and Athlon XP systems that also came with 3 slots instead of 2 or 4.

so if you install 3 it drops to single channel?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 9 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Possibly there's some wiggle room for applied smartassery, like how you can get some pentium boards to work with two single and one double banked SIMM, two 4MBs and one 8MB for instance.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 18, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
explorerdotexe wrote on 2022-04-25, 13:47:

Although there is basically no documentation online, there are images of the 5ALI61 Plus with the ArtX chipset.
There were also 2 other boards that used this chipset, the PowerColor P561A and the SuperTek ST-A7586B.
Both are pretty obscure like other ArtX boards, the PowerColor has a BIOS and a board image online while the SuperTek only has a BIOS image on Ultimate Retro available. (https://www.ultimateretro.net/it/motherboards/9408)

Small update, but the PowerColor P562A was also added to UR so you can go and have a look at it there too (https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/11274). It's ArtX chip has a heatsink, don't know if that was common or not with this chipset.

EDIT: There is also a page for the Acorp 5ALI61 Plus (https://www.ultimateretro.net/it/motherboards/11284), but it doesn't give us any more info than what we already know.

Last edited by explorerdotexe on 2022-05-04, 05:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 18, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found something that may be a similar thing to the Aladdin 7 chipset, the SiS 540. It's single chip unlike the Aladdin 7 but like the Aladdin 7 it does have an iGPU which is the SiS 300, and based on the Wikipedia the 3D was likely ok for non 3D-intensive apps and maybe some games. Another thing this chipset has in common with Aladdin 7 is obscurity. A search for this chipset on UR gives 5 total results (and of course PCChips is in the results with 2 motherboards).
VIA did also make the VIA MVP4 which was basically the MVP3 with no AGP and a Trident Blade 3D card onboard, however even though it was more common than Aladdin 7/SiS 540 I don't think it falls inside the same category of the previous two since there really wasn't that much different from the MVP3.

Attachments

• unknown-13.png
    Filename
    unknown-13.png
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    An image of the PCChips M586MR
    File license
  • IMG_20220506_172048.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220506_172048.jpg
    File size
    65.99 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    What Wikipedia says about the SiS 540.
    File license
Last edited by explorerdotexe on 2022-05-06, 20:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 18, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find. I didn't know about the SiS 540, but I did have an SiS 530 board for a while. I also had an SiS 630 socket 370 board about 20 years ago which integrates the SiS 305, more or less the same chip. Performance is actually decent for a 2000-2001 IGP, roughly equivalent to Riva TNT or TNT2 M64. There's a catch of course and that is drivers which are unfortunately of dubious quality. I think V-Sync is engaged at all times as well, which is a real bummer. OpenGL is also another story entirely with awful support. Thankfully you can use stuff like SCITech's wrapper which does wonders for the hardware and end user of the hardware.

In any case, I think both this and the MVP4's Blade 3D are interesting, but they are somewhat documented by now and judging by the specsheets should be, hopefully, left in the dust by the ArtX chip on the Aladdin 7 boards. I wish we can find at least one board for sale 🙁

Reply 14 of 18, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see a empty agp footprint on that board…

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 15 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
explorerdotexe wrote on 2022-05-06, 16:15:

Found something that may be a similar thing to the Aladdin 7 chipset, the SiS 540. It's single chip unlike the Aladdin 7 but like the Aladdin 7 it does have an iGPU which is the SiS 300, and based on the Wikipedia the 3D was likely ok for non 3D-intensive apps and maybe some games. Another thing this chipset has in common with Aladdin 7 is obscurity. A search for this chipset on UR gives 5 total results (and of course PCChips is in the results with 2 motherboards).
VIA did also make the VIA MVP4 which was basically the MVP3 with no AGP and a Trident Blade 3D card onboard, however even though it was more common than Aladdin 7/SiS 540 I don't think it falls inside the same category of the previous two since there really wasn't that much different from the MVP3.

Tbh, it's not even remotely like the Aladdin 7. SiS 540 is just a minor revamp of the SiS 530, so with a newer SiS VGA core, but otherwise the same support for onboard L2 cache and single channel SDR-SDRAM. The Aladdin 7 had the weird ArtX core, no cache controller and dual channel SDR-SDRAM.

Reply 16 of 18, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please check out this link it delivers some new info on the matter. There is even a benchmark demonstrating that ArtX graphics being on par with Voodoo 3.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/tech-retrospe … socket-7/185717

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 17 of 18, by explorerdotexe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2022-06-23, 20:46:

Please check out this link it delivers some new info on the matter. There is even a benchmark demonstrating that ArtX graphics being on par with Voodoo 3.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/tech-retrospe … socket-7/185717

on par with Voodoo 3

Wow, that's pretty impressive but probably not too surprising from the same team that made the graphics for the GameCube.
Has to be said that Voodoo 3 has the advantage of being it's own PCI card while the ArtX was only released as an iGPU on Socket 7 motherboards, so who knows what performance would be on a more powerful CPU (although i'm guessing the artx gpu was probably engineered to make the most of a higher clock K6-II/III).

Reply 18 of 18, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah, I totally missed this! This is beyond awesome, thanks for sharing! This took place just a few weeks ago, perhaps we could ask the person making the post about more details. I personally would have liked to see how single channel memory impacted CPU and GPU performance. I'm also not entirely certain the choice of games was great. SimCity 4 and Deus Ex are extremely demanding games for CPUs of the era and are unplayable on any K6 hardware IMO. But, it's still a revelation to see clear photos of the board, scanned manual(!) and benchmarks when we knew next to nothing about all that.

And hey, that's another board to add to the list!