VOGONS

Compaq Prolinea

Topic actions

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have received a soft spot for old Compaq computers and I recently acquired a Compaq Prolinea 5120. There is not too much information about these computers online, but from what I understand 5 means Pentium, 120 is the MHz. A 460 would be a 486 60 MHz if that speed ever existed.

Mine is a slim version so I guess it should really be called 5120e, but the model naming does not seem to be very consistent, or it is a marketing thing.

IMG_20220202_213230.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220202_213230.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There are some variations of the motherboards, it seems like some models have l2 cache on COAST module where 256 kb is inbuilt in mine. Mine also have 6 SIMM slots where 4 are populated with a total of 32 Mbytes of ram.

The CMOS battery was a coin cell one, but it was soldered. I removed it and added an external battery using some Dupont wires and tape (lazy).

There is a riser card where most action happens. I have 3 Isa slots where one is shared with a single PCI slot. There was a 3com NiC in the PCI slot when I bought it. I also added a sb16 pnp card because I had it laying around.

The hard drive came in a caddy which occupied 1 of two 5.25" slots. I removed this and installed a cd rom drive (teac 8x) which I think was a nice fit.

I don't seem to be able to activate the second ide controller, maybe there is an IRQ problem, so I added th CDROM to the same ide cable as the hard drive. The harddrive is a Seagate 850 mb drive, possibly original.

The HDD is quite loud and somewhat scratchy but it works. It contained an installation of windows 3.11 and some drivers for the nic. I'm not too familiar with windows 3.11 but I will try to set the network drivers up correctly to do some file sharing with my other machines.

This is the oldest machine I have and possibly ever owned and I will use it mostly for DOS gaming. I might consider an alternative storage media later, but I'm not in a hurry.

Edit: I wrote DIMM but meant SIMM.

Last edited by Joakim on 2022-02-03, 06:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 32, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might find this helpful: "How to Install a Second IDE Hard Drive on ProLinea PCI Systems, Deskpro PCI Systems...."
http://web.archive.org/web/19991002021229/htt … ories/8302.html
some support info:
http://web.archive.org/web/19961226054838/htt … /prol5120e.html

other info: http://web.archive.org/web/19990508113831/htt … /ProLineaE.html
http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.c … s/PCI_Prolinea/
http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.c … ops/Prolinea_E/

Some of the support says you could have 8Mb on board with 4 SIMM slots, however the 575 on this page shows 6 SIMMS:
http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/Compaq_Prolinea575.htm

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the response, and nice info. Some of it I had not found before!

The ide controller seems a little odd. In my case, the cd rom does not show up at all, set to primary slave, but when I run the Compaq test it said it is ok. Maybe this is normal behaviour.

Reply 3 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An update, I added an other ide cable and put the CDROM on the second ide channel. For some reason the inbuilt test program hanged when testing the CDROM no matter what jumper or where on the cable I set the CDROM to. I disregarded the test result and continued to install the CDROM drivers and it was fine.

I can now try to add an other HDD if I like to but ATM in sticking with this Western digital:

IMG_20220203_203521.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220203_203521.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yesterday I grew tired of windows 3.11 so I formatted the drive and put windows 95 b on it. The PCI 3com nic works fine now (had some issue in Windows 3.11). It is very nice to be able to do some file sharing. Transferring files through floppy is fine (if you don't need to use multiple floppies).

IMG_20220205_182345.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220205_182345.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here is a picture of the motherboard btw:

IMG_20220202_134121.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220202_134121.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 32, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have the same Proline, originally 575 but I upgraded CPU to 166MHz MMX (works slightly overvolted but with good cooler no problem).
Machine has Compaq's own chipset and supports maximum of 192MB RAM (and can cache it all).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 5 of 32, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also own a 575. They're a bit stubborn with the BIOS installed on a HD partition. I'm having a fight with it, it says that a setup password is set, but not configured correctly. So I think I am going to place another HD and try to set it up from scratch...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 6 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2022-02-06, 14:36:

I also own a 575. They're a bit stubborn with the BIOS installed on a HD partition. I'm having a fight with it, it says that a setup password is set, but not configured correctly. So I think I am going to place another HD and try to set it up from scratch...

Maybe try this jumper, it said something with password activation.

Screenshot_20220206-155054.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20220206-155054.jpg
File size
166.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Worth a shot at least.

I still find the ide controller and bios strange. If I have nothing on the secondary channel it sais it's deactivated. When I added the CDROM it was activated automatically, but it does not show the CDROM in the bios, it can however be seen when you go back to the first Compaq menu and list devices.

When I tried tried to add a 16 GB SD card to the secondary channel I realized it didn't work and I removed it (it was too large). Then the computer would refuse to boot until I first also removed the cd rom from the secondary channel. At that point the computer wanted to boot from the Western digital HDD on the primary channel. At this point I could add the CDROM again.

Oh, and cutemouse does not work. Might be a Compaq thing, as my Compaq Armada 1750 is the same.

This machine has me scratching my head.. 😁

Reply 7 of 32, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, recreating the diagnostic disks and deleting the recovery partition did the trick. 😀

I included SP4711.exe for future use and for anybody who might need it.

Attachments

• Filename
    sp4711.zip
    File size
    2.06 MiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 8 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice. Lets create a list of drivers. Do you guys install any special drivers in Windows 95 or 98?

Not that it matter that much. For me this is a DOS build with windows 95 for utility mostly.

Reply 9 of 32, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 at least has all the drivers for it. Not sure if there are specific drivers anywhere for Compaq Triflex chipset but it seems to work just fine with 98 ones.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 10 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah maybe windows game good support to Compaq motherboards and if they existed when both windows 95 and 98 arrived they are supported. Maybe there are some updated graphics drivers?

I was wondering what bios versions you are using. As I understand it the bios is really stored on the motherboard, it is only the GUI that is on disk. I was wondering if there is a way to mod it for larger hard drives.

Reply 11 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a quite frustrating time trying to get this machine to accept an SD card has a hard drive. Maybe it is my SD to ide adaptor that is the culprit. It is not possible to set it to slave (maybe you can do som kind of pin mod). I have tried to set it to different sizes in bios but I had no luck installing the bios partition to it.

Yesterday I attempted to clone my HDD to th SD card it is somewhat working when inset the size in bios (via floppy bios boot disk) to somewhere around 2 gig but I can't boot from the bios partition or windows 95. Windows 95 actually is somewhere close to booting but it said something about is not able to boot windows 95 rather than the normal no bootable media drive. Also the bios F10 menu does not work from the SD card.

What is also frustrating is that the bios halts every time and wants to set the SD card to somewhere about 8gig, but when I try that size it is not recognized at all outside of bios.

It would be nice to have just s little more space than 850 mb but this seems to be such a hassle I might as well buy a 2 gig HDD or something.

Reply 12 of 32, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried a Compact Flash card yet? I have a 2GB one in a Compaq laptop from that era and it works great, setup partition and all.

BTW, I believe the "e" in the model number is the "cheap" version while non-e is the "good" version of the Prolinea. The 5100e for example doesn't have cache, only has 4 SIMM slots and can only do 50 and 60Mhz FSB.

Reply 13 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote on 2022-02-25, 22:01:

Have you tried a Compact Flash card yet? I have a 2GB one in a Compaq laptop from that era and it works great, setup partition and all.

BTW, I believe the "e" in the model number is the "cheap" version while non-e is the "good" version of the Prolinea. The 5100e for example doesn't have cache, only has 4 SIMM slots and can only do 50 and 60Mhz FSB.

Not tried CF, I never used it tbh most because I don't have any other computers with CF. I might buy a couple of smaller SD cards when they are still available, but it is frustrating when you feel you are "almost there" and give up. 😀

Almost like I would like to try a bios mod but it is probably non standard and the chip is soldered. Nah.

What you say about the e models makes sense. Most of the these cheap models probably had less expansion ports as well.

Reply 14 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went ahead and bought a half size SSD (SATA)
of 4 gb and tried to connect it via an sata2ide adaptor. I tried everything to get it working but no luck with the internal ide controller...

I believe this bios is bugged and can't handle anything more that ca 2gb. Tried manual settings but no luck (could not see partitions). I tried letting the bios decide the size and it thinks it is ca 50mb but also at that point the computer does not see any partitions.

Theoretically it can be a compatibility issue with the sata2ide converter I guess. When I put it in an other machine via the same converter I do see the partition I made in the prolinea though.

Finally I ended up putting a ide controller card in the only PCI slot and it works without any problems.

Not sure atm if I want to use this solution but I might as well do some hdd speed tests no that I'm at it. :-p

Reply 15 of 32, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is one fine desktop. Shame Compaq isn't around any more - I could do without HP.

Idea about the slot situation: If you'd need that PCI for something else than the NIC, there is at least one 3COM ether express for ISA with 100 mbps.
Now, I don't remember the bandwidth of ISA and it's probably a moot point and those cards were only ever built to integrate legacy machines in 100base only infrastructure.

Writing this on a Proliant ML330 - the case, that is 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 16 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mm yeah I have 4 Compaq computers now. I have had very little problems. I have a feeling they were built to last.

Maybe I did not write about it here, but I replaced the PCI 3com (that seemed very stable) with a very similar 3com Isa card. driver situation was a bit confusing because of all the similar model names but it worked out ok. It is only 10 base but I don't really mind that much. It is probably faster than usb 1 at least.

Reply 17 of 32, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’ve had very good luck adding promise sata II tx4 cards to systems like these. Probably solve your hard drive issues. I’ve used it with windows 98 and ME also.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 18 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had this computer project on pause, mostly because I realize that the processor is a little to fast for my taste. When I get around to it I'd like to try to downclock it and perhaps deactivate l2 if at all possible.

Oh and I ended up installing a PCI ide controller card, but I'd like to have the PCI slot for something else so I bought (two) Isa controllers instead but I have not even opened the package.