VOGONS

First post, by dadocastro2801

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to boot an amstrad pc 1640 with Lo-tech ISA XT CF Adapter but it give an error 1h (No drives recognized)
I have an ide to sd card plugged, an Lo-tech ISA XT CF Adapter
and I know the problem is not the SD card but i can't find it
Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 2, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dadocastro2801 wrote on 2022-02-10, 19:37:
I'm trying to boot an amstrad pc 1640 with Lo-tech ISA XT CF Adapter but it give an error 1h (No drives recognized) I have an id […]
Show full quote

I'm trying to boot an amstrad pc 1640 with Lo-tech ISA XT CF Adapter but it give an error 1h (No drives recognized)
I have an ide to sd card plugged, an Lo-tech ISA XT CF Adapter
and I know the problem is not the SD card but i can't find it
Any ideas?

And how do you know the SD card is not the problem? Many older systems will not work properly with some CF cards, so it's not all that strange that an adapter to SD would also be problematic. Get a cheap (might be used) CF card, not too big, up to 2GiB or so, and try with that.

Reply 2 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does that SD to CF card converter/adapter card have "True IDE Mode" implemented ?
From what I remember, that's not the only mode of the real CF cards.

CompactFlash cards also usually supports programmed i/o mode and memory-mapped mode.
They're used for digital cameras or card readers, I assume.

The famous IDE mode was originally intended for industrial CF cards, so they can be used as drop-in solid-state storage in PC-based controllers, ATMs etc. way back in the early 90s.

At the time, there were memory cards for PCMCIA (PC Card) bus around and CF cards could substitute them with the help of a CF to PCMCIA adapter card.

(PCMCIA was considered a bringer of hope that would be an universal standard for both PCs and laptops or even a successor to ISA/PCI bus, but it never catched on.)

Anyway, this was a bit beforey time.
Back then, Amigas were still being sold and CF cards weren't really consumer products yet.
They were expensive and small in capacity.
Early Compact Flash cards had 2MB, 4MB, 8MB or a whoopin' 16MB..

Edit: Another question.. How old is that SD to CF converter?
Does it explicitly support SDHC or SDXC?
I'm asking, because old SD devices from the 2000s do not support SD cards larger than 2GB or, in rare cases, 4GB..
Strictly speaking, SDHC or SDXC cards are no real "SD" cards. Real SD cards are 2GB or less.

Edit: Here' an older thread of mine. It might not be entirely accurate, because I'm just a layman, but it might contain bits of useful information.
4GB SD cards may not work in SDHC devices

Edit: And then there's MMC, the Multi Media Card.
It's the step sister of the SD card. Some SD devices may really just using MMC features.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//