VOGONS

First post, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So today I noticed a couple of items on a certain auction site and are not up for a ridiculous BuyitNow price.

ATi Radeon AGP x8 HD4650 1GB
Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73GHz SL7Z4

So the above items don't have a ridiculous asking price but I'm curious if it is worth having a bid?

Hope I've tread lightly and not ventured out of the rules.

Cheers

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see some Pentium 4 670 (3.8Ghz) for $49.99 a piece on said auction site. You get a higher default multiplier because the default feb is only 800 instead of 1066.

If you want real fun, grab a XEON 5080 which is the same as a Pentium D EE but LGA771. So if you want to put it in an LGA 775 board, you need one of those conversion stickers and also modify the socket or CPU so it will fit in the socket... Super easy to cut the alignment tabs of the socket so you can turn the CPU 90 degrees.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HD 4650 is one of most powerful AGP cards; in theory it should have x264 hardware decoding, making it potentially useful for browsing YT. It does not have windows 98 3d drivers, thus if you plan an AGP 8x build for Win XP, this card is a good fit.

The P4 is a Presler core; quite interesting and rare, but limited practical use.

A board like Asrock 775i65G could use both components at the same time.

Reply 3 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd grab a 4650 AGP if I saw one under $25, but otherwise I'm not bothered.

The EE, hrrrrmmm, the kind of 775 board that can run it to the max, probably takes Core 2s of double the performance, maybe even quads. I try to avoid the top end of a CPU line for anything less than very cheapy chance purchases, because you end up paying a nickel a MIP vs a penny a MIP for the one two speed grades below it, or in the middle of the next architecture which is faster.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 7, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mihai wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:32:

HD 4650 is one of most powerful AGP cards; in theory it should have x264 hardware decoding, making it potentially useful for browsing YT. It does not have windows 98 3d drivers, thus if you plan an AGP 8x build for Win XP, this card is a good fit.

The P4 is a Presler core; quite interesting and rare, but limited practical use.

A board like Asrock 775i65G could use both components at the same time.

The issue I have with the AGP card is that any game that needs the power it brings would be better served by buying the cheaper PCIe version of that card, if you are going to be running XP then the PCIe version makes even more sense here. If I was going for a Pentium4 I would be grabbing a P4 HT 661 Cedar Mill since it uses less power, should run a lot cooler while being faster than the EE. Cedar Mill is also interesting due to it being the last P4 chips tapped out and having a lot of improvements the earlier models didn't have.

Reply 5 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me these have no value. I wouldn't bother unless they are very cheap, matching the price of more common hardware, like the 2.8-3.2GHz Prescott for the CPU and PCI-e HD4600 series for the graphics card.

Pentium 4 just didn't scale all that well. EE is more of a collectors' item rather than anything useful. You can reasonably beat it with Something like a Dual Core E2220 on stock clocks and this DC is a fairly good over clocker and generally nearly free of actually free.

As for the graphics card, these late AGP cards with adapter chips are the worst of both worlds. Have issues with compatibility for legacy stuff which makes them unable to run some games and slower than genuine AGP cards in some others, and the performance increase is pointless since you are already well above 60fps in the rest unless the game is locked, meanwhile they also lose performance compared to their PCI-e counterparts.

So 5-15 $ each.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basically agree with the above.
Fast AGP card is always nice to play with but I then to pair AGP with Win9x and PCIe with XP and the HD4650 doesn't support Win9x
EE gives bragging rights but so does Xeon and often you don't even need to do the pin mod, my x3320 (poor man's Xeon) works on 2 separate Asus 775 boards

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Soap wrote on 2022-02-10, 20:14:
So today I noticed a couple of items on a certain auction site and are not up for a ridiculous BuyitNow price. […]
Show full quote

So today I noticed a couple of items on a certain auction site and are not up for a ridiculous BuyitNow price.

ATi Radeon AGP x8 HD4650 1GB
Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73GHz SL7Z4

So the above items don't have a ridiculous asking price but I'm curious if it is worth having a bid?

Hope I've tread lightly and not ventured out of the rules.

Cheers

The Ati HD4650 1GB is DDR2 iirc (HD4670 was DDR3 or GDDR3, usually) but it's already so fast that I reckon anything that is not a Core2 will not be able to saturate it. At least my Athlon XP 3200+ definitely did not saturate my HD4670.
I think for an AGP WinXP system that's not based on Core2, the HD4650 would be a good fit. I know I'd try it for a good price.

I'm not too familiar with netburst CPUs. This P4 EE is LGA775. There are plenty LGA775 boards out there which do not support Core2. This CPU might have a niche purpose as a maximized CPU for certain systems featuring such a CPU socket. But it doesn't mean that any particular LGA775 board that does not support Core2, will actually support this particular P4 EE.

So I'm a bit more impartial about this EE CPU. The HD4650 seems nice. I never got one because I never needed one and I already have a better card with basically no real suitable maxed out AGP system to put it in.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!