VOGONS

First post, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have a board where USB 1.1 is standard. if i put a PCi card with USB 2, do I also have than usb 2 speed or is it still limited?

THX

Reply 1 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there!
Do you want to know if you can get full USB 2.0 speed by installing an USB 2.0 host controller card into an old mainboard which already comes with an integrated USB 1.x host controller?

If so, then yes.. However, USB 2.0 at full speed is only possible if your USB devices do support USB 2.0, too. Also, the old ports are still USB 1.x.

Sorry, if I got it wrong. I didn't really understand your grammar. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 11, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep sorry for it 😁. Yes you understood it correctly. I have a boad with an USB1.1 Controller. I am using an usb 2.0 stick to transfer data from my pc to this older one. But 1.1 is pretty slow, so i want to upgrade it with a usb 2.0 pci card to boost the data transfer.

As i understood you, this card should boost my usb 2.0 to full speed

Reply 4 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
atom1kk wrote on 2022-02-11, 10:19:

But 1.1 is pretty slow, so i want to upgrade it with a usb 2.0 pci card to boost the data transfer.

I feel the same, USB 1.x is very slow. 🙂

atom1kk wrote on 2022-02-11, 10:19:

As i understood you, this card should boost my usb 2.0 to full speed

Yes.

mihai wrote on 2022-02-11, 11:00:

Depends on the o/s you are using.

I think the same. If atom1kk uses Win98 and the drivers from the manufacturer, it should work.
I did the same back in the 2000s when I had an Win98SE PC.

The cards with a NEC chip are sought-after, I think.
The Macintosh community uses them, too, if memory serves.
The ancient Mac OS 9 detected them as USB 1.x, but OS X detected them correctly as USB 2.0.

And when my father and me got an early USB3 card, it had an NEC chip, too.
This was early 2010, I vaguely remember, before Renesas bought NEC.
With the USB3 drivers from the manufacturer (NEC), Windows XP SP2 became able to understand USB3 just fine.
This was in a time before the public was aware of USB3.
Stores still sold that slower USB 2.0 stuff, which was inferior to Firewire aka i.Link. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See this thread: A (Very Short) Guide to Having USB 2.0 in Windows 98 SE with a NEC-Chipset USB 2.0 PCI Card

And remember that low performing systems do take a noticeable performance hit with a USB 2.0 card installed.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 10 of 11, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have used a VIA USB2 PCI card even with a Socket 7 AT motherboard, and it just works.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 11 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2022-02-11, 15:25:

Have used a VIA USB2 PCI card even with a Socket 7 AT motherboard, and it just works.

The consensus in this thread is that the NEC cards work more consistently than the Via ones. Which USB 2.0 cards for old motherboards

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey