VOGONS

First post, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted an universal mouse for my all in one Ryzen 3900x which runs Windows 3.x, NT 3.51/4 and 9x/2000/XP - so I ordered a „Microsoft Cordless Wheel Mouse Serial and PS/2 compatible”.

And, indeed, it works in DOS and every Windows version, including Windows 11 - using PS/2 to serial adapter and a header connected to a X470 motherboard.

They are easy to find online new old stock for 15$...

IntelliPoint tools are working in Windows 3.11 too. I have to try it in Windows 1.0 on the serial port. (Win 1.0 comes only with serial support and usually you have to copy PS/2 driver from Win 2.0 to use a mouse)

Attachments

Last edited by OMORES on 2022-02-15, 07:51. Edited 1 time in total.

My best video so far.

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool ! Thanks for the info !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-02-13, 21:37:

Very cool ! Thanks for the info !

I wasn't sure how compatible is this PS/2 - serial conversion. But this mouse acts like any other serial mouse... I just tried Windows 1.0 and this Microsoft mouse works with default "windows" driver from 1985...

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool. I found them. Might get a couple though I really dislike ball mice... but I do need a couple good serial mice.

I ended up ordering 3 Creative branded wireless optical mice for an insanely low price.

I really just want a nice optical or laser mouse that supports serial but doesn't have to have a special gridded mouse pad.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I coulda sworn there was an early Microsoft optical of some type, bit picky about it's surfaces, but didn't need a grid, that was serial/PS-2 ... but might have confused it with the wheelmouse that had a ball. Apparently some of the explorer wheelmice of that time have big problems with the wheel turning to goo. Anyway, can't seem to dig out the one I was thinking existed, so maybe wrong on that. While digging around, saw some blurb for the intellimouse optical, with MS claiming it had an image processor in it that worked at 1.5 MIPS.... the IBM PC got about 0.3 MIPS out of the 8088 IIRC 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.