VOGONS

First post, by 11justsomekid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long time no see, Vogon community! Been a while and I thought I should check in with a problem I have with an old acquisition.

Got a NetVista X40 that accidentally made its way to the sales floor and the price of a monitor! It seems to have already been wiped, so I put DOS 6.22 to see if it worked at all, and it did. However, with all of its functionality came with a price: the CD drive isn't being recognized by the PC. It seems to be spinning up and the activity light turns on, but I can't get it to either boot from CD or get to it from DOS with a general ATAPI driver, which states that it couldn't find a CD-ROM drive at all. Could it be a loose IDE cable? Sadly, disassembly might be a little difficult for this AIO... thing. Anybody have similar issues.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 2, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Loose flat cable, sure. If it's not recognized in the BIOS, you have to open it up, there's no other way I could think.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 2, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We used these for a good number of years in the the mid 2000's. I just want to warn you that they were manufactured right in the middle of the capacitor plague era and ours died that way.

(They run hot and they are compact). Cool looking device though.