VOGONS

First post, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428 2 MB VLB Video Card in a 486 DX2 66 but for some reason when I set the video mode to 256 or 65,356 colors I get this strange artifact. The small lines disappear if the color depth is set to 16 or 16 million colors. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Attachments

A Sound Test for as many games as I can find at SNDTST.com

Reply 1 of 8, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the same video card working with 16 and 16 million colors

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My guess is that only 256-color and 16-bit color modes are accelerated using the out-of-the-box windows drivers (proper true color acceleration isn't implemented in the 542x series), and the problem is related to memory access patterns used by the accelerator.

Reply 4 of 8, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it with 640x480 8bpp testing full VRAM reliability and it didn't report any errors. I also tested the speed in case the error is showing up in some other way, though I don't know the values I should be expecting. I suppose my next step will be to try a different video card version.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day it seemed some driver versions did that with some implementations. Meaning, try other drivers until it doesn't do that.

edit: they also liked to do that when they were too hot and/or didn't like the bus speed set, but I'm assuming you're at 33 0ws here, if it was DX2-80 I'd suggest setting 1WS... could be a plan at 33 if you've got a VLB i/o card there, some of them don't play nice.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2022-03-01, 22:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 8, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just confirming, you have tested dos games at some of those resolutions and don’t see any issues right?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 7 of 8, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tested Duke 3D in SVGA 640x480 mode and while slow (it's only a 486) it seems clean.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 8, by sndtst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems the CL win3.1 drivers all have the video issues. But I just tried the generic Super VGA driver and 256 colors at 640x480 is working great (tried it with a CD-ROM that has video, In The 1st Degree, and the playback speed seemed smooth so I don't think I'm missing out on any performance with the intended drivers.