VOGONS

First post, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I had recently purchased a DFI Lanparty NF3 250 GB Motherboard and can't get it to power on or post. When I plug in the ATX Power Supply, regardless if it's in the 200 Watt range or 500 Watt range, it displays a red light on the motherboard like it's receiving power, but it doesn't seem to turn on at all. I've tried pressing the power switch on the motherboard and hooking up a case power switch, the motherboard doesn't turn on at all. None of the fans spin at all and the light remains red. I tried running it without the cpu, ram, graphics card, clearing the cmos, nothing turns on, including the fans, and there's no beep codes. I tried researching about this motherboard, but to no result.

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably bad caps. Can you post some good pictures of your exact board ?
Also: what heat sink and mounting are you using ? If not the original yellow bracket you could be shorting the back of the board.... from what little I know ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-02-28, 03:33:

Also: what heat sink and mounting are you using ? If not the original yellow bracket you could be shorting the back of the board.... from what little I know ;p

Hi, sorry if I'm posting a little late, I'll post the pictures the next day, as I didn't realize it's past 2 AM where I'm at. For some odd reason, the capacitors don't look extremely bulged, but I'm definitely not as experienced with capacitors.

Reply 3 of 8, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-02-28, 03:33:

Here's the image link:
https://mega.nz/file/aLRzSCxT#o8vVeYN9aZIzXKm … gDgtQRtS6TCx86s

Reply 4 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is not the original which was yellow like the PCI slots. You need to remove it and check the back of the board. If back plate is a metal plate with no insulating pad/gasket it could be shorting things.....

added: what PSU are you using ?

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 8, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-03-01, 00:44:

That is not the original which was yellow like the PCI slots. You need to remove it and check the back of the board. If back plate is a metal plate with no insulating pad/gasket it could be shorting things.....

Well, I took the back plate off, but the motherboard still won't power on.

Reply 6 of 8, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SamsungASUS wrote on 2022-03-01, 01:27:
Horun wrote on 2022-03-01, 00:44:

Well, I took the back plate off, but the motherboard still won't power on.

I'm also using a 530W Fortron Source PSU. I've also tested an antec earthwatts 500W PSU and a PSU from an old Dell Dimension Desktop. None have worked.

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Antec earthwatts 500W PSU will not cut it. Too new ATX spec 2.2 (<2.03) and not enough 3.3 or 5v amps afaik. Can't find specs on the Fortron..Can you give the specs of the Dell PSU ?
Any newer PSU will generally exceed the ATX spec of the motherboard and not give enough low volts amps so will generally not power up (or just make the fans spin) from my experience.
The board could also be dead... bad caps, blown VRM, etc

Reply 8 of 8, by SamsungASUS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-03-01, 02:33:

The Antec earthwatts 500W PSU will not cut it. Too new ATX spec 2.2 (<2.03) and not enough 3.3 or 5v amps afaik. Can't find specs on the Fortron..Can you give the specs of the Dell PSU ?
Any newer PSU will generally exceed the ATX spec of the motherboard and not give enough low volts amps so will generally not power up (or just make the fans spin) from my experience.
The board could also be dead... bad caps, blown VRM, etc

Yeah, I believe the board is most likely dead. The Dell PSU has a max output of 250W and the model is a HP-P2507FW. I think I'll just have to throw in the towel. I have already ordered another board that is in refurbished condition. I'm sorry if I wasted your time.