VOGONS

First post, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all

Pentium 233MMX
Socket 7 Motherboard

I've installed a new TEAC FD-55BR 360k 5.25" drive along with my 3.5" floppy.
No matter what I do, I keep getting Floppy disk fail (40) on post, but everything works after that.
It can read any disk without a problem.
If I remove the "floppy seek on post" on bios, it works well but I don't have the nice seek sound.

I have tried to play with the jumpers D0,D1,D2 with no luck.
It works ok on default, D1.

What could be the problem?

Reply 1 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the drive types properly set in CMOS Setup?
360 KB = 40 tracks, others are 80 tracks... if it's misconfigured, it's sure to fail while trying to seek beyond 40 tracks during POST.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FD-55BR has more jumpers than just D0..D3
Post a photo of the board with jumpers, hopefully there's somebody with the same drive who can compare them...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, this stuff may be important - http://minuszerodegrees.net/diskette/5.25_flo … termination.jpg

I've found some photo of FD-55BR, trying to identify the terminator... is that the resistor pack near the 34-pin connector? Is it removable?

Reply 5 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be a stupid (or poorly pirated) BIOS that does not perform the seek correctly on 40-track drives. By the time these motherboards came out everybody pretty much moved to 3.5" floppy drives, and even those were about to become obsolete. While I've never seen a BIOS that would not properly support 360k drives, it's not completly out of the question.

Reply 6 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deunan wrote on 2022-03-06, 23:10:

Could be a stupid (or poorly pirated) BIOS that does not perform the seek correctly on 40-track drives. By the time these motherboards came out everybody pretty much moved to 3.5" floppy drives, and even those were about to become obsolete. While I've never seen a BIOS that would not properly support 360k drives, it's not completly out of the question.

Ahh I agree ! Specially because: "If I remove the "floppy seek on post" on bios, it works well".
Yes !! sounds like a quirk in the BIOS, wonder if same would happen if a 720k 3.5" drive.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

but OP doesn't want to disable floppy seek since he likes the sound it makes.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port