VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a decent collection of Socket3 CPUs, from 486SX to DX / 2/4 from various brands including AMD5x86, cyrix6x86, POD83. My beautiful IBM PC330 DX4 with voltage regulator only supports 486 and not cyrix, amd and pod.

I read a document that indicated my mainboard is not compatible, can you help me? I think the ways are to find a compatible mainboard (aptivas and valuepoints should use the same chassis) with all my cpus. Since IBM has made many different mainboards (even for the same 330/350 series of computers) can you help me find one on ebay? I would also be willing to buy an entire value point and transplant the mainboard into my PC330 which I consider beautiful in terms of aesthetics. I specify that I want to use my IBM330 and not a generic chassis with a generic socket3 mainboard

tnks for your help

Reply 1 of 2, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-03-13, 08:57:

I have a decent collection of Socket3 CPUs, from 486SX to DX / 2/4 from various brands including AMD5x86, cyrix6x86, POD83. My beautiful IBM PC330 DX4 with voltage regulator only supports 486 and not cyrix, amd and pod.

I read a document that indicated my mainboard is not compatible, can you help me? I think the ways are to find a compatible mainboard (aptivas and valuepoints should use the same chassis) with all my cpus. Since IBM has made many different mainboards (even for the same 330/350 series of computers) can you help me find one on ebay? I would also be willing to buy an entire value point and transplant the mainboard into my PC330 which I consider beautiful in terms of aesthetics. I specify that I want to use my IBM330 and not a generic chassis with a generic socket3 mainboard

tnks for your help

My experience is that socket 3 boards with BIOS versions dated October 1994 and newer almost always fully support "P24T" Pentium overdrive processors.

BIOS from earlier in 1994 usually support "P24T" processors to some degree, and for BIOS from 1993 and older you need to get lucky.

This thread has a lot of specific details about individual boards.--

Re: 3 (+3 more) retro battle stations

Reply 2 of 2, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2022-03-13, 19:48:
My experience is that socket 3 boards with BIOS versions dated October 1994 and newer almost always fully support "P24T" Pentium […]
Show full quote
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-03-13, 08:57:

tnks for your help

My experience is that socket 3 boards with BIOS versions dated October 1994 and newer almost always fully support "P24T" Pentium overdrive processors.

BIOS from earlier in 1994 usually support "P24T" processors to some degree, and for BIOS from 1993 and older you need to get lucky.

This thread has a lot of specific details about individual boards.--

Re: 3 (+3 more) retro battle stations

mine is an IBM one, not a generic mainboard