VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got this Seagate ST5660NC hard drive, it is a 545MB SCSI drive with 80 pin connector.

ST5660NC.jpg
Filename
ST5660NC.jpg
File size
511.31 KiB
Views
File comment
ST5660NC HDD
File license
Public domain

Even though it was new in a sealed package when I got it (apparently it was a spare drive for some very old Sun racks that never got used), it didn't even spin up during my tests using an 80 pin to 50 pin + power connector adapter. Only sign of life was the LED on the PCB turning on.

Then I changed some settings in the SCSI Configuration Utility of my AHA-2940W and toggling the "Send Start Command" option did the trick! During SCSI BIOS initialization, the drive spins up and then is detected and works perfectly. However on an older controller such as the 1542B there seems to be no way of enabling this "send start command" option that was there in the PCI controller, so the drive doesn't work with that one.

So, since there is usually a jumper in these drives to tell the drive to spin up as soon as it's powered on, I looked at the manual and indeed: by leaving the pins 15-16 on the jumper block open, the drive should not wait for a command from the controller in order to spin up. However, for some reason this doesn't work on this drive, I have tried with the jumper on or off just in case but no dice. Also, the same option is there in the 80 pin to 50 pin adapter, but that doesn't do anything either. The drive seems to be completely ignoring that and just refuses to start unless it receives the command.

So, my questions are: why would it ignore this setting, is it due to the drive having some specific Sun firmware? The ID string during SCSI initialization is "SEAGATE ST5660N SUN05350644", so it seems to be a special firmware.

And does anyone know is there any other way to force the spin up on power on? I really want to use this with my ISA controller.

Attachments

• Filename
    5660ncrb.pdf
    File size
    728.08 KiB
    Downloads
    33 downloads
    File comment
    ST5660NC Manual
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably a poor designed SCA adapter. I remember using a few different ones and had good luck with some versus other but only on SCA to 68 pin..
As far as ISA, why ? SCA are a SCSI wide and cannot be easily downed to 50 pin ISA, that is why there is 68pin wide and 50 pin narrow.
sorry being stubborn but most SCA drives typically cannot be downed to narrow 50 where some 68 pin wides could....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-03-20, 02:10:

Probably a poor designed SCA adapter. I remember using a few different ones and had good luck with some versus other but only on SCA to 68 pin..
As far as ISA, why ? SCA are a SCSI wide and cannot be easily downed to 50 pin ISA, that is why there is 68pin wide and 50 pin narrow.
sorry being stubborn but most SCA drives typically cannot be downed to narrow 50 where some 68 pin wides could....

This drive is in fact, narrow (that's what the 'N' in the name indicates) and according to the manual it should be pretty much identical to the ST5660N 50-pin version except for the connector. Also, on the AHA-2940W it works using the same adapter with a 50 pin cable, I'm not using the wide port at all on that one. So I don't think the adapter is to blame in this case.

I'd like to use it with an ISA controller due to the low size (545MB), for a PCI system I'd prefer larger drives.

EDIT: attached pictures of the adapter

Adapter_80p_side.jpg
Filename
Adapter_80p_side.jpg
File size
173.92 KiB
Views
File comment
SCA to 50pin Adapter (80-pin side)
File license
Public domain
Adapter_50p_side.jpg
Filename
Adapter_50p_side.jpg
File size
226 KiB
Views
File comment
SCA to 50pin Adapter (50-pin side)
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does your drive spin up when it just has the power connection and no SCSI cable / adapter at all?
But I guess you need the SCA adapter for power supply.
What are the jumpers at your SCA adapter for, but for the IDs? Perhaps they control the spin behavoiur.
What happens when connecting your disk to another SCA adapter without SCSI cable?

It looks like the jumpers on your adapter are for RMT_START (pin 38, remote start) and DLYD_START (pin 78, delayed start).

Reply 4 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Disruptor wrote on 2022-03-20, 05:40:

Does your drive spin up when it just has the power connection and no SCSI cable / adapter at all?

Nope, with just the adapter connected to the power supply and no SCSI cable there's no spin up, only the drive LED lights up.

What are the jumpers at your SCA adapter for, but for the IDs? Perhaps they control the spin behavoiur.

You mean the ID1,ID2,ID3,ID4 jumpers on the adapter? Those are all open (i.e. ID set to 0).

What happens when connecting your disk to another SCA adapter without SCSI cable?

I don't have any other adapter right now, but I may try to get another one.

It looks like the jumpers on your adapter are for RMT_START (pin 38, remote start) and DLYD_START (pin 78, delayed start).

That is correct, I've traced those jumpers in the adapter to those exact pins in the connector. And in fact RMT_START is also connected to pin 15 in the drive jumper block, which according to the manual should get the drive to wait for the "Start Unit" command from the controller if you close pins 15-16 (connect RMT_START to GND), while leaving it open should make the drive spin up as soon as it's powered on. However, that jumper seems to have no effect regardless whether it's open or closed on the adapter, the drive or both. In all cases the only way to get the drive to spin up is during the SCSI BIOS init, as long as I set the "Send Start Command" to on for drive ID 0 in the controller config.

Now that I think about it, I think I have a broken ST5660N (50-pin connector version of this drive) in my box of dead parts. If that's indeed the case then maybe I could attempt a PCB swap and avoid the use of the adapter, but I will probably have to transfer the firmware from the working drive due to calibration data specific to the drive. I'll see what I can do.

Reply 5 of 9, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-03-20, 08:30:

You mean the ID1,ID2,ID3,ID4 jumpers on the adapter? Those are all open (i.e. ID set to 0).

No, I exactly mean the other ones. Play with them.

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oops I looked up the wrong drive... did not see your manual. my bad. according to the manual you should have an option block of jumper pins on the drive opposite side from the 80 pin connector.
page 5, 18 and page21. "Start/stop option-When a jumper is installed on pins 15 and 16 of the options jumper block, the drive waits for a Start/Stop Unit command from the host beforestarting or stopping the spindle motor."
ok not sure why if no jumper it does not spin up right away...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try the delay start jumper, DS on the adapter. The drive should wait a few seconds then start up, regardless of it receiving a start command. Did you say the jumper block on the front of the drive is empty?

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 8 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The drive is working as intended.

This is one of the quirks of SCSI. SCA was designed to take away all the jumper bullshit from earlier SCSI and make it "plug and play" for server people. Staggered startup is HIGHLY desirable for these people as the power infrastructure wasn't nearly as robust as it is today. So having fifteen 10k-rpm drive spin up at once is a BAD thing, and only gets worse if you have multiple banks of drives. So having the controller do the start up sequence is the way everyone went.

However older controllers dont do this, as you have noticed. And the solution is to use the motor start jumper. SCA drives dont have these. The cheap Chineseium adapters don't help, as they often wont have this jumper on the card.

You have a few options.

1- get a better scsi controller. This is likely not applicable if you are stuck with ISA as the 1542 is probably *THE BEST* ISA SCSI adapter out there. This isn't a likely choice.

2- get proper 50-pin drives. (this is the best option imho) Also doing a board swap is a HORRIBLE idea. There is memory on the board that has memorized the "bad" sectors on the physical disk, and unless you have the software to reprogram these flash chips and the requisite experience, swapping the boards between 2 different drives will likely result in sadness.

3- get a proper SCA adapter. This is the option I often go with, but its because I have a vast experience with SCSI.

Adapters are nice, but 9/10 are fucking garbage and you are honestly just better off getting the correct drive for the system you have. The 1542 is a great controller, but you are going to have trouble with hard drives >1gb anyway, so a small 50-pin drive is the best choice imho.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 9, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, well. Not to be a contrarian, but I found my broken ST5660N (50-pin version of this drive) and after verifying that the PCBs are mostly identical (except for the connector section) and the screw positions match perfectly, I went ahead and attempted a swap. It was successful (mostly) and confirmed some of my initial suspicions about something being baked into the firmware regarding the motor start option. So here's what I did:

First of all, as expected just swapping the PCB from the broken 50-pin drive to the working one didn't work, there is drive-specific firmware with bad sector data (and probably other stuff) that needs to be transferred first.

So, with that in mind, I examined the PCBs in search of a flash chip, and sure enough, it was the only chip with a label on it: an AM29F010, which can be flashed with the TL866 as long as you have the PLCC32 adapter! Nice!

ST5660NC_PCB.jpg
Filename
ST5660NC_PCB.jpg
File size
287.66 KiB
Views
File comment
ST5660NC PCB
File license
Public domain

I used hot air to remove the chip from the PCB of the working 80-pin drive and dumped it with the programmer (attached below). Then I soldered it back to the PCB and verified that the drive is working fine and I didn't mess up anything. Good

Finally, I removed the chip from the PCB of the broken 50-pin drive, flashed it with the firmware I had dumped and soldered it back. Then, I attached the 50-pin PCB to the working drive and... it works perfectly!! But it has the same problem as when I use the adapter, it completely ignores the "Motor Start" jumper setting and the drive needs to be told by the controller to spin up in all cases. So I guess that's definite proof that there is something in the firmware causing this behavior.

So that's it, it was nice to experiment even if the results were not ideal, at least now I don't have to use the adapter anymore, heh. Maybe someone with the proper experience could take a look at the firmware and see what's going on, I tried to disassemble it but I don't even know where to begin, I don't think it's x86 code.

Attachments

• Filename
    ST5660NC.zip
    File size
    46.22 KiB
    Downloads
    21 downloads
    File comment
    ST5660NC Firmware
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception