VOGONS

First post, by Tuscani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,
I hope that someone can help me out with this as I have spent over a week trying jumper configurations to no avail.
I have a DataExpert 8049 mainboard, which is apparently a pretty nice socket 3 boards with 4 PCI slots. However, I have experienced nothing but hell trying to configure my AMD5x86ADW on this board.

For whatever reason, the multiplier always stays locked at 3x no matter what I set it to, leading to non-optimal cpu speeds. I'm aware of the internal 4X multiplier on the AM586, but even if I set the mobo to either an Intel 80486DX2 or AMDX2 which should be 2X cpu's, the multiplier stays locked at 3X, which is really frustrating as I cannot set it to a more stable 40Mhz BUS x4.
The Voodoo Banshee that I'm using with it can take the 50Mhz bus speed, and the systems is actually very stable like this under Win98se, but I really would like to use a PCI USB card for convenient small and quick data transfers, but as soon as I plug it i, Windows craps out and freezes 9 out of 10 times. I have tested this card with a 40x3 bus speed and it is completely stable, so it's the 50Mhz BUS speed that's killing my system stability.
I have the board manual and I have set the jumpers correctly for all sorts of i486, amd486, DX2, DX4 without success.

I believe that I ran out of luck with this board and I should start seeking for a different one, but at this rate socket 3 boards will reach current GPU prices, so I would like to avoid this if possible.
Has anyone else had experience with this particular board or can give me a word of advice on anything that I could be missing?

Thank you guys in advance, I really appreciate it.

DataExpert 8049 Socket 3 Mobo
AMD5x86@150Mhz 🙁
32MB FPM
Voodoo Banshee 16MB

Reply 1 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, could you please dump the bios so I can add it here https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/1491

Not only this, but I actually own this board, but mine had the bios chip missing, so that would help me fixing my board 😁 (this inconvenience have been one of my motivation to create ultimateretro)

With my board running a proper bios, I could experiment with a 5x86 on and check if I can get it running. 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 10, by Tuscani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welp, I guess that we both are out of luck.
Looks like I can dump the rom, but it cannot be flashed. I recall that there is a jumper setting that was related to BIOS flashing in this mainboard, but I don't have enough time to dig that now.
I'm going to upload the resulting dump anyway as it looks legit based on the 128KB file size just in case you have a ch341a eeprom programmer or something like that and can flash it that way.

Attachments

AMD5x86@150Mhz 🙁
32MB FPM
Voodoo Banshee 16MB

Reply 5 of 10, by Tuscani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you go.

Sorry for the bad typing, I'm running out of space here with like 3 computers at the table and I'm posting from the cellphone and laptop at once while cooking dinner.

Attachments

AMD5x86@150Mhz 🙁
32MB FPM
Voodoo Banshee 16MB

Reply 6 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you so much !!!

I will try it as soon as I can, (I don't have the time tonight).

I have a TL866, so flashing is not an issue for me 😀

I can tell you that you've ended a long search 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 10, by Tuscani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really glad to read that 😀
I have seen your posts everywhere while I was looking for info regarding this mainboard, so I can tell that you have been trying hard to get the BIOS.
Hopefully you can help me figure out the dreaded multipliers out when you revive your board!

AMD5x86@150Mhz 🙁
32MB FPM
Voodoo Banshee 16MB

Reply 9 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't got the time to mess with it yet, I might have the time tonight, or maybe this weekend

Reply 10 of 10, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Am5x86 has only one pin that is responsible for multiplier selection, called CLKMUL. It's directly connected to one of the CPU type selection jumper headers, stick a pin into a right hole at CPU socket and beep out all the jumpers you find suspicious with a DMM 😉

datasheet see pg. 8, R-17