VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today i try mi POD at 40Mhz bus reaching 100Mhz. It boot normally and let syspeed complete the test give result of 73,81 (at 83Mhz result is 61,50). But wen i launch other bench like doom or quake they won't go and give me some text line with error... what means? tnks

Reply 2 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It means it's not stable at 100MHz. There is around 1/10 chance you get a stable one. But is also depends on the motherboard and memory/cache timings.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 11, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote on 2022-03-29, 23:04:

It means it's not stable at 100MHz. There is around 1/10 chance you get a stable one. But is also depends on the motherboard and memory/cache timings.

It’s an IBM Bios, close to zero settings. Lower but from 40mhz to something like… 37mhz to lower a little bit the cpu frequency is not a way, not also a way to increase the voltage as i understand. So i do not know the way to reach the goal, I have more experience in overclocking classic CPUs such as pentium1 and mmx.

Reply 4 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wasn't it determined that if you increase the voltage to 4.0V that most of the POD5V83s are stable at 100MHz?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 11, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I not able to modify the integrated voltage converter, and honestly I don't want to change this piece of computer history. There is no other way right? i thought if it was really unstable it couldn't pass the speedsys test

Reply 6 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-03-30, 11:49:

I not able to modify the integrated voltage converter, and honestly I don't want to change this piece of computer history. There is no other way right? i thought if it was really unstable it couldn't pass the speedsys test

That's not true. The speedsys test is far from an exhaustive test of stability.

Reply 7 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No that's correct. If it's *really* unstable you won't be able to pass speedsys. But if it's just kind of unstable then it'll just crash everything else.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-03-30, 14:10:

No that's correct. If it's *really* unstable you won't be able to pass speedsys. But if it's just kind of unstable then it'll just crash everything else.

🤣

Reply 9 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When overclocking the 1st success is if it's able to POST. Then boot OS. Then stress test. If it fails any of this, the OC is unsuccessful. Then it depends on the hardware if you can tweak some settings - mostly Vcore and memory/cache timings. Some can do it in BIOS or other software and the other only with hardware mods.

You can always buy a tested 100Mhz part - but there is still no guarantee it will work fine with your motherboard as this is a factor too. At least I had different successes with non-Vcore moded PODP5V83 - some wouldn't be stable at 100MHz with one motherboard but would be with the other.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 11, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, it is half-unstable. And what about the fact that is working in the same way left the 5->3,3 volt converter plugged in?

There are the screenshot https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-cs1y … 1d8SI2yQoUVqPLG