VOGONS

Reply 180 of 253, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-12, 10:02:

I'd be interested to see also what the default install of Quake 3 performance is too for each of these builds 😀

Yeah. I think most of us would only be interested in that. 😁

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 181 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2022-05-12, 12:11:
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-12, 10:02:

I'd be interested to see also what the default install of Quake 3 performance is too for each of these builds 😀

Yeah. I think most of us would only be interested in that. 😁

I agree.

edit: I totally misread what you wrote. Sorry! I dont agree at all

Last edited by Necrodude on 2022-05-12, 20:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 184 of 253, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You all are right, it is pretty interesting for a number of reasons to see what the "out-of-the-box" configuration produces given a hardware configuration.

I do not normally overclock anything - particularly retro parts; but these Thunderbird processors are not exactly rare, and I am not pushing voltage or anything incredibly dangerous.

Currently I am working on a submission at 170MHz x 5 = 850MHz. The CPU is rated for 850MHz (100MHz x 8.5 by default), but the other relevant components in this machine are all good to at least 200MHz FSB, so kind of a yawner for the motherboard/chipset/RAM.

Anyway, I digress. Stock clocks, stock Quake3 - no modifications whatsoever. Here we go:

Machine specs:

• CPU: AMD Athlon 850 A0850AMT3B
  • Motherboard: ABIT NF7-M 1.21, BIOS 27. nForce2 IGP - **integrated graphics, audio, ethernet disabled**, driver 4.27
  • RAM: 1GB, Corsair TWINX DDR3200LLPT (100MHz/DDR200, 2-2-2-5, dual channel)
  • GPU: ELSA Erazor X2-A32 GeForce 256 DDR, driver 12.41
  • NIC: Intel PRO/1000 GT, driver 8.6.17
  • Sound: Creative Labs CT4810 AudioPCI, driver 4.12.01 (thank you to bofh.fromhell for this suggestion)
  • SATA: Promise FastTrack S150 TX4, driver 1.0.0.37
  • Storage: Crucial MX400 1TB SATA SSD

Retail Quake III Arena, v1.32, /demo four: 102.3fps.

Reply 185 of 253, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doogie wrote on 2022-05-12, 18:07:
You all are right, it is pretty interesting for a number of reasons to see what the "out-of-the-box" configuration produces give […]
Show full quote

You all are right, it is pretty interesting for a number of reasons to see what the "out-of-the-box" configuration produces given a hardware configuration.

I do not normally overclock anything - particularly retro parts; but these Thunderbird processors are not exactly rare, and I am not pushing voltage or anything incredibly dangerous.

Currently I am working on a submission at 170MHz x 5 = 850MHz. The CPU is rated for 850MHz (100MHz x 8.5 by default), but the other relevant components in this machine are all good to at least 200MHz FSB, so kind of a yawner for the motherboard/chipset/RAM.

Anyway, I digress. Stock clocks, stock Quake3 - no modifications whatsoever. Here we go:

Machine specs:

• Motherboard: ABIT NF7-M 1.21, BIOS 27. nForce2 IGP - **integrated graphics, audio, ethernet disabled**, driver 4.27
  • Sound: Creative Labs CT4810 AudioPCI, driver 4.12.01 (thank you to bofh.fromhell for this suggestion)

Curious that you are using 12.41 drivers.
I'm getting better results with 28.32.

But nice call with the nForce2, I didn't even consider it thinking it was way to new for an old T-Bird 🤣 =)
Pretty clear that the P3's don't stand a chance now, even 1 GHz would not be enough I think.
Memory speed is just to low.

Still, I'm tweaking an Intel system now.
And in my stash of SDRAM i found a true gem of a stick.
I put it aside because its a 512MB stick and thus wont work on BX mobos.
Probably tested 50 sticks, and most would not work at 150 MHz even at very relaxed timings.
But then this unassuming CSX branded stick (chips also have CSX branding) just klicked with the mobo =)
It manages 2-2-2-5 at 150 MHz FSB, which is maxed out on my PRO 133A motherboard.

Reply 186 of 253, by pa1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DarthNvader wrote on 2022-05-11, 16:22:
Necrodude wrote on 2022-04-08, 14:28:
Hello and welcome to the #Quake3ToTheMAX competition! […]
Show full quote

Hello and welcome to the #Quake3ToTheMAX competition!

rXoyJVY.png

Are you tired of getting bad FPS in Quake3 on your pre 1999 retro lan computer?
Do you hate the shitty FPS?
Why dont you get a frikkin´3DFX graphics card your fuckhead!!
Aint got no money?
Well tweak the shit out of it then!

Join the Quake3 arena to the max competition and win a 3DFX f__n Voodoo3 2000 card!
Maddafakka!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0UaSexTKsI

So what is this competition about. Its about getting the highest FPS:score in Demo FOUR in Quake3 arena.

sldwBhe.jpg

The person that submits the highest valid score before the 1st July wins a 3DFX Voodoo3 card!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware rules:
Max Pentium III 900mhz or Athlon Thunderbird 850mhz CPU.
This means the original Athlon cpu:s. Not Athlon XP (and other Palaminos), X64, X2 and so on.
Same thing apply with the Pentium III. Tualatins and newer is not allowed.
You can use a faster Pentium III or Athlon if you underclock it.

You must use older graphics card then the first of Januari 2000. (Geforce DDR was review in late 1999 so its allowed).
A sound card and a network card is manditory. You should be able to play your Quake3 with us on our game nights.
We dont have any other hardware rules. You can have any motherboard, RAM, mouse, hard drive, SCSI controller, and so on.
It is only the CPU, GPU, sound card, and network card that has rules.

Overclocking/BIOS tweaking:
CPU overcloking for Pentium III:s is allowed to max 900 mhz. Athlons 850 mhz.
You can overclock your Graphics card, Ram, bus speeds as much as you like. No restrictions.
You can tweak/hack your BIOS as much as you like. No restrictions.

Software rules:
The operating system must be either Windows95, Windows98, or Windows Millenium.
You can tweak, hack, tune the operating system and you software in any way as much as you like. No regulations.

Quake3 rules:
Quake3 version 1.32 or compatable. The game must work with Quake3 1.32 servers.
You can tweak, hack, tune Quake3 in any way, as much as you like. Get the best drivers. Customise your Quake3:s cfg file. Craft/get you own DLL:s. Compile new exe:s. Do your own texturepacks! Use crazy plugin tools that boost your FPS. The sky is the limit!!
The only rule is that you should be able to play with us on our servers, AND that the game is playable. You must be able to see and hear the game.
Lower FOV:s (field of view) than FOV 90 is not allowed. You are not allowed to change the viewsize. 640 x 480 is the lowest allowed resolution.
TEXTURES MUST BE TURNED ON
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So tune up you Windows 9x operating system, overclock your graphics card ram etc, and tweak the shit of Quake3!

Get the highest possible score in:
Timedemo 1
Demo four.

JgLEZbO.png

All tweaks, hacks, tuning. Must be explained to us.
All drivers, tools, plugins. Must be explained to us.
All cfg:s, dll:s, exe:s, texturepacks/custom pak files must be submitted to us.
We want to know your computers specifications. CPU/GPU/motherboard/graphics card/ram speed.
We want to know how much you overclocked it, what you overclocked. And so on.
We want to know everything! 🙂

To submit to the competition, download the SubmissionTemplate from our ftp. Put this in your regular File Explorer:
ftp://braindrainlan.sytes.net:21005/SubmissionTemplate/
Copy SubmissionTemplate.zip to your computer.

In the submissionTemplate file you will need to specify stuff about your computer, and you will need to send copies of your config file and other hacks/tweaks.
You will also need to do a small video with in game sound that you can hear.
In the video we want to see the following:
Cpu-z and and the devicemanager or similiar program that shows the graphic card.
Then we want to see at least a couple of benchmark runs.
After the runs are completed we want you to connect to our Quake3 server
To connect type:
"Connect braindrainlan.sytes.net" we just need to see that you can play online with us.

Here is a example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9QKmeXTqtk

We have two reasons why we want to have all the tweaks sent to us.
First we need to validate the tweaks. We need to see that it is working. Im giving away a graphic card from my personal stash. So I want to be sure that the submission is legit.
Second. We are working on "speed pak/patch" for Quake3 that will be published after the contest is over. We can call it "Fast Quake3"

When you are done with the template, rename it to your VOGONS nick name and send it to our submissionFPT.
Host: ftp://braindrainlan.sytes.net:21005
Username: bdsubmissions Password: quake32themax.
Notice that the PORT is 21005. I usally use Filezilla so here is a picture of the settings.

zl4rn3Q.png

You wont see any files on the submissionFTP even when you send over your version of the Template. There will also be a couple of error messages beacuse your FTP-client will try to list files, but you dont have that privilege. Let us know when you submitted so we can check that nothing is corrupted or broke.

The competition ends July 1st 2022
May the force be with you!
The winner will be announced shortly after.

Rankings and And submitted videos of benchmark runs will be posted in this thread

Edit: The competition is available on our discord server
https://discord.gg/b3xhgY7uEw

Current Rankings

Highest score at the moment.

#1 Doogie with 340,1 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDz7NeDtG_8
CPU: AMD Athlon 850 A0850AMT3B (at 141x6=846MHz)
Motherboard: ABIT NF7-M 1.21, BIOS 21. nForce2 IGP - **integrated graphics, audio, ethernet disabled**, driver 4.27
RAM: 1GB, Corsair TWINX DDR3200LLPT (at 141MHz/DDR282, 2-2-2-5, dual channel)
GPU: ELSA Erazor X2-A32 GeForce 256 DDR (stock clocks but lots of extra cooling), driver 12.41
NIC: Intel PRO/1000 GT, driver 8.6.17
Sound: Creative Labs CT4810 AudioPCI, driver 4.12.01
SATA: Promise FastTrack S150 TX4, driver 1.0.0.37
Storage: Crucial MX400 1TB SATA SSD

#2 Svensktiger with 302 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdTj4rpaxm8
Cpu= AMD Thunderbird 700MHz @ 6x141 FSB = 848MHz
GPU= ASUS V6800 GeForce DDR standard clocks
Motherboard= Abit KR7A VIA KT266A chipset
RAM= Random 512MB DDR stick that does tightest timings at 141MHz FSB

#3 Svensktiger with 263,9 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J49-PlKo0f0
Cpu=P3-933E@900MHz, 127MHz FSB
GPU=ASUS V6800 32MB GeForce DDR
Motherboard=ABIT ST6 i815
RAM=Random 256MB stick that does tighest timings at the speed.

#4 mwd with 156,9 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LuN6o6HHCY
Dell XPS B866
Intel 820 Chipset
Pentium 3 @ 866MHz (133MHz FSB)
1GB (2x512mb) RDRAM 800
TNT2 M64 AGP (OEM)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI Sound Card
Windows 98SE

#5 XTRINO 104.7fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoQw3HfdPVQ
Cpu: Intel Pentium 3 866mhz
GPU: Riva tnt2 Ultra (Compaq it seems)
Motherboard: Intel D815eea2
RAM: 384mb

#6 Seraph with 52,7 fps
Machine: PC-9821Ra20/N30
CPU: Pentium Pro 200Mhz 256KB cache
RAM: Stock 32MB EDO
https://youtu.be/7mB40_NsDYA

#7 JizzMasta 46 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRsaXEaYkb0
Cpu: K6-3+ @616mhz
128mb PC133 SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce 256 SDR 32mb
ASUS P5B rev 1.04 motherboard
Creative Soundblaster Audigy
Intel PRO/1000 GT Network Card

No love for Mac users, we play Queake3 too on our retro Macs!

I have a Mac G4 800 so I could test it BUT its up to @necrodude to allow it.

My Mac G4 is not bad at Quake 3, in fact pretty good compared to a P3, beats it usually 🤣

But the problem for the competition is that your stuck with ATI Rage PRO, next step would be GeForce 2 MX and thats not allowed and last I checked there was no way to get GeForce 256 to work unless I missed something.

And the Athlons gonna crush it probably. But Yea Im not against Macs taking part, but he cant test it so I would have to test for him and also the even more limited GPU options makes it hard to be competitive even if the G4 CPU is actually dam fast.

But yea old G4 Macs are fun, so many CPU upgrade options and mods on can do its insane! He just dont know what his missing 🤣 😉

Website, YouTube, Discord, Gallery

Reply 187 of 253, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a specific version of Quake to use ?
Do you have a link to a Quake download ?
I want to benchmark my build.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-05-12, 22:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 188 of 253, by pa1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-05-12, 22:23:

Is there a specific version of Quake to use ?
Do you have a link to a Quake download ?

Not specific version. I usually take pak0 from the game cd of quake 3, install the 1.32b path and start from there. After that its up to you to find faster binarys, make a config file that is faster, mod it basically to make it go faster.

Website, YouTube, Discord, Gallery

Reply 189 of 253, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doogie wrote on 2022-05-12, 18:07:
You all are right, it is pretty interesting for a number of reasons to see what the "out-of-the-box" configuration produces give […]
Show full quote

Machine specs:

This config actually makes sense. I mean nForce2. Quasi-dual-channel, DDR400 support, and best .... working agp/pci lock for overclocking, or in this case to go wide on the FSB!
I have noticed most of the Thunderbirds B/C => 1200MHz are unlocked (L1 bridges connected). So 5 x 170 [850MHz] could possibly be achievable.
Just checked Phil's video where he compared performance on various OSes. There's no difference between 98se and XP in OpenGL scenarios, XP is even marginally faster. Should also be more tunable and period-correct for particular chipset.

Reply 190 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

rXoyJVY.png

Aint got no money?

Join the Quake3 arena to the max competition and win a 3DFX f__n Voodoo3 2000 card!
Maddafakka!!!

So what is this competition about. Its about getting the highest FPS:score in Demo FOUR in Quake3 arena.

sldwBhe.jpg

The person that submits the highest valid score before the 1st July wins a 3DFX Voodoo3 card!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware rules:
This means the original Athlon cpu:s. Not Athlon XP (and other Palaminos), X64, X2 and so on.

You must use older graphics card then the first of Januari 2000. (Geforce DDR was review in late 1999 so its allowed).
A sound card and a network card is manditory. You should be able to play your Quake3 with us on our game nights.
We dont have any other hardware rules. You can have any motherboard, RAM, mouse, hard drive, SCSI controller, and so on.

You can overclock your Graphics card, Ram, bus speeds as much as you like. No restrictions.

Software rules:
You can tweak, hack, tune the operating system and you software in any way as much as you like. No regulations.

Quake3 rules:
You can tweak, hack, tune Quake3 in any way, as much as you like. Get the best drivers. Customise your Quake3:s cfg file. Craft/get you own DLL:s. Compile new exe:s. Do your own texturepacks! Use crazy plugin tools that boost your FPS. The sky is the limit!!
The only rule is that you should be able to play with us on our servers, AND that the game is playable. You must be able to see and hear the game.
Lower FOV:s (field of view) than FOV 90 is not allowed. You are not allowed to change the viewsize. 640 x 480 is the lowest allowed resolution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So tune up you Windows 9x operating system, overclock your graphics card ram etc, and tweak the shit of Quake3!

Timedemo 1
Demo four.

JgLEZbO.png

We want to know your computers specifications. CPU/GPU/motherboard/graphics card/ram speed.

To submit to the competition, download the SubmissionTemplate from our ftp. Put this in your regular File Explorer:

In the submissionTemplate file you will need to specify stuff about your computer, and you will need to send copies of your config file and other hacks/tweaks.
Cpu-z and and the devicemanager or similiar program that shows the graphic card.
To connect type:
"Connect braindrainlan.sytes.net" we just need to see that you can play online with us.

Here is a example video:

First we need to validate the tweaks. We need to see that it is working. Im giving away a graphic card from my personal stash. So I want to be sure that the submission is legit.
Second. We are working on "speed pak/patch" for Quake3 that will be published after the contest is over. We can call it "Fast Quake3"

When you are done with the template, rename it to your VOGONS nick name and send it to our submissionFPT.
Notice that the PORT is 21005. I usally use Filezilla so here is a picture of the settings.

zl4rn3Q.png

You wont see any files on the submissionFTP even when you send over your version of the Template. There will also be a couple of error messages beacuse your FTP-client will try to list files, but you dont have that privilege. Let us know when you submitted so we can check that nothing is corrupted or broke.

Rankings and And submitted videos of benchmark runs will be posted in this thread

Current Rankings

#1 Doogie with 340,1 fps
Motherboard: ABIT NF7-M 1.21, BIOS 21. nForce2 IGP - **integrated graphics, audio, ethernet disabled**, driver 4.27
GPU: ELSA Erazor X2-A32 GeForce 256 DDR (stock clocks but lots of extra cooling), driver 12.41

#4 mwd with 156,9 fps
Dell XPS B866
Intel 820 Chipset
1GB (2x512mb) RDRAM 800
TNT2 M64 AGP (OEM)
Windows 98SE

#5 XTRINO 104.7fps

#6 Seraph with 52,7 fps

#7 JizzMasta 46 fps
128mb PC133 SDRAM

We have decided to allow Mac's due to requests.

Due to the fact that graphic card selection is limited on Macs and there is no
GeForce 256 for Mac or drivers we will allow GeForce 2 MX for Macs ONLY!
The alternative would be ATI Rage PRO 16MB or Voodoo2 for example but
that would never be competitive.

From my testing a G4 with 2Mb L2 cache was a bit faster then a Pentium 3
at the same frequency both with GeForce 2 MX at the same clock and both
CPU's running 100Mhz RAM and using the same config files.

So the max Allowed CPU is a PowerPC G4 867Mhz so it slots in between Athlon and
Pentium 3 and also makes it a bit more convenient for users of 133Mhz FSB Macs.
1x CPU is still the limit, so if its a dual Processor system one CPU must be
disabled.

You can use System Profiler to show what CPU you have and its frequency and
also what graphics card you are using.
The game must also have sound enabled and recorded in the video.
You must also connect to our server without quitting the game so
network card is required.

Patrik (G3Virus on our discord) is the only one that can test the Mac
version of Quake3, so pack down the hole game as a SIT file, then
make a zip file with the video and the sit file plus anything else
like source code etc that you might have used.

The game MUST run on OS 9.2.1 or Max OS X 10.4, thats because it is what our
only test system is running BUT newer versions are allowed on the system
you are benchmarking with.

You should be able to find ioQuake3 1.36 for Mac, it runs on our server.
But any version that runs on our server is fine.

Reply 191 of 253, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Necrodude wrote on 2022-05-13, 13:29:
We have decided to allow Mac's due to requests. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

rXoyJVY.png

Aint got no money?

Maddafakka!!!

sldwBhe.jpg

Hardware rules:

Software rules:

Quake3 rules:

Timedemo 1
Demo four.

JgLEZbO.png

To connect type:

Here is a example video:

zl4rn3Q.png

Current Rankings

#1 Doogie with 340,1 fps

#4 mwd with 156,9 fps
Dell XPS B866
Intel 820 Chipset
1GB (2x512mb) RDRAM 800
TNT2 M64 AGP (OEM)
Windows 98SE

#5 XTRINO 104.7fps

#6 Seraph with 52,7 fps

#7 JizzMasta 46 fps
128mb PC133 SDRAM

We have decided to allow Mac's due to requests.

Due to the fact that graphic card selection is limited on Macs and there is no
GeForce 256 for Mac or drivers we will allow GeForce 2 MX for Macs ONLY!
The alternative would be ATI Rage PRO 16MB or Voodoo2 for example but
that would never be competitive.

From my testing a G4 with 2Mb L2 cache was a bit faster then a Pentium 3
at the same frequency both with GeForce 2 MX at the same clock and both
CPU's running 100Mhz RAM and using the same config files.

So the max Allowed CPU is a PowerPC G4 867Mhz so it slots in between Athlon and
Pentium 3 and also makes it a bit more convenient for users of 133Mhz FSB Macs.
1x CPU is still the limit, so if its a dual Processor system one CPU must be
disabled.

You can use System Profiler to show what CPU you have and its frequency and
also what graphics card you are using.
The game must also have sound enabled and recorded in the video.
You must also connect to our server without quitting the game so
network card is required.

Patrik (G3Virus on our discord) is the only one that can test the Mac
version of Quake3, so pack down the hole game as a SIT file, then
make a zip file with the video and the sit file plus anything else
like source code etc that you might have used.

The game MUST run on OS 9.2.1 or Max OS X 10.4, thats because it is what our
only test system is running BUT newer versions are allowed on the system
you are benchmarking with.

You should be able to find ioQuake3 1.36 for Mac, it runs on our server.
But any version that runs on our server is fine.

My Mega-Aluminum Monster looks like a Mac Pro.

Attachments

Reply 193 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-05-13, 17:51:

pity. I have a 2001 dual p3 system @ 1ghz (coppermine) guess I don't need voodoo 😀

You can join the competition if you are willing to do some changes to your system.

If you install and use windows 95/98/Me, and if you use a pre 2000 Graphics card, and swap/downclock the cpu to 900mhz or less you can join the competition.
Dual Systems are not allowed in the competition. However. Win9x cant use dual cpus, witch makes it a single socket system.

If I see seta r_smp "1" in a uploaded config file (or any other SMP enabling hacks) in a submission then the submission is disqualified.
Windows2000/NT or newer is not allowed. Windows2000/NT and newer are SMP aware.

Please. Feel free to join, as long as you stick to the rules.

Last edited by Necrodude on 2022-05-15, 09:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 194 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The latest submission from Doogie with 392,3 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpk81l6aXMo
and a Commentary explaining the multiplier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDOl04hvsRw

#1 Doogie with 392,3 fps on his Athlon 850 with a geforce 256 DDR
#2 Doogie with 340,1 fps on his Athlon 846 with a geforce 256 DDR
#3 Svensktiger with 302 fps on his Athlon 850 with his Geforce 256 DDR
#4 Svensktiger 263,9fps on his P3 900 with a Geforce 256 DDR
#5 mwd with 156,9 fps on his Dell Pentium III 866 System with a TNT2 M64
#6 XTRINO with 104,7 fps on hos Pentium III 866 System TNT2 Ultra
#7 JizzMasta with 46 fps on his K6-3+ System Geforce 256 SDR
#8 Seraph with 52,7 fps

Last edited by Necrodude on 2022-05-15, 07:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 195 of 253, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My mind keeps coming back to this thread... I'm trying to resist!

I don't own a GeForce DDR 256 so I will never be able to win 😀

OK I've started testing some bits.... this Athlon 1000 (would have to underclock it anyway) doesn't work, I wonder why 😁

Attachments

• 1024-1365 (2).jpg
    Filename
    1024-1365 (2).jpg
    File size
    222.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 196 of 253, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-14, 11:12:

My mind keeps coming back to this thread... I'm trying to resist!

I don't own a GeForce DDR 256 so I will never be able to win 😀

OK I've started testing some bits.... this Athlon 1000 (would have to underclock it anyway) doesn't work, I wonder why 😁

The front fell off!!

Reply 197 of 253, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I seem to have destroyed my only other Athlon trying to unlock it nooooo!!! This was chipped to hell around the edges already and I must have just finished it off 🙁

Reply 198 of 253, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-14, 11:45:

I seem to have destroyed my only other Athlon trying to unlock it nooooo!!! This was chipped to hell around the edges already and I must have just finished it off 🙁

Nooooo!
😥🥺😭

Reply 199 of 253, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's annoying as I don't have anything around the 1GHz range in all my stuff - either much slower or much faster! The Slot 1 build off PC's motherboard only supports the earliest PIIIs, the only working Athlon CPUs I have are 1900XP or higher.

I have a 900MHZ Celeron ThinkPad R30 though! Hmmmm.... Oh it does about 10fps on default install, I don't think it's worth pursuing haha