VOGONS

First post, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi guys. I got one of these coolers, its the volcano9 version. they all share the same cooler design with a connector for a potentiometer, and if the potentiometer is not placed i think it runs at full speed which can be very very loud and not nice after some minutes.

I want to know how to build a potentiometer replacement. I know it has to be LINEAR. But im not sure about the rating.

does it have to be :

100 ohms ?
1K ohms ?
5k ohms ?
10k ohms ?

i was looking at a picture on google and they even released one with 3 switch position, kind of nice, i have not seen potentiometers like this, only the wheel turning type.

AWVYuw4F3Ckv6VCmbLw9gK-970-80.jpg

I have also some old labtec pc speakers from the 90s , i think they are 2watt speakers or 4W. but the potentiometer for volume control is very bad, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Do speakers also have linear potetiometers? and what value should i use for speakers?

Reply 2 of 4, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is not a potentiometer, but a Speed switch to switch between HI-MID-LOW speeds (via voltage). I'll shoot the wiring inside for you tomorrow, but there's a wire with (apparently a protective diode?) and probably resistors - it's in isolation, and I'm very bad at electrical components.

Reply 3 of 4, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is inside the switch: I think the black rollers with the silver stripe are diodes, there's probably going to be some kind of resistor under the insulation and by connecting the contacts you're getting a reduced voltage from the original 12V, which makes the fan lower the speed and noise.

Attachments

• switch2.jpg
    Filename
    switch2.jpg
    File size
    98.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • switch1.jpg
    Filename
    switch1.jpg