VOGONS

First post, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
I recently acquired an old and rusty pentium 133 pc, complete with CD drive (x8 max speed), 1.44 3.5" FDD and the 5.25" FDD TEAC FD-55GFR.
As the case was a bit rusty, the drive itself doesn't look too good but not rusty as the drive is recognized in the BIOS when booting it up.
However, before using it i want some assistance in those that are more experienced in helping me recognize if the drive can be repaired or if just suffered little decay.
I've did some close up photos on the drive itself so it can be viewed on detail.
I welcome all assistance i will get.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps try to just clean the dust out and rubbing the outside with some isopropyl alcohol. Other users might be able to offer more advice.

Clean the heads with Isopropyl alcohol as well using a cotton swab and lubricate the rails with some silicone grease or just plain hair clipper oil.

FDD lubrication

The BIOS doesn't really "recognise" the drive (unlike a HDD). You need to know what type of drive is connected and then "tell" the BIOS what drive is installed (which in your case would be a 5.25" 1.2 MB floppy drive).

Reply 2 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the pictures I can only spot minor cosmetic damage like surface corrosion from sitting in a damp environment with some dust built up. Nothing that requires immediate attention. Apart from cleaning and lubrication like jesolo suggested I don't think there's anything one should really do.
Remember that taking apart an FDD implies the risk of head misalignment so only do it if really necessary.

Reply 3 of 6, by Luke4838P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2022-04-17, 18:56:
Perhaps try to just clean the dust out and rubbing the outside with some isopropyl alcohol. Other users might be able to offer m […]
Show full quote

Perhaps try to just clean the dust out and rubbing the outside with some isopropyl alcohol. Other users might be able to offer more advice.

Clean the heads with Isopropyl alcohol as well using a cotton swab and lubricate the rails with some silicone grease or just plain hair clipper oil.

FDD lubrication

The BIOS doesn't really "recognise" the drive (unlike a HDD). You need to know what type of drive is connected and then "tell" the BIOS what drive is installed (which in your case would be a 5.25" 1.2 MB floppy drive).

Thanks for the advice, so i don't need to clean the stepper motor as shown in pic 2?
The "black" area is also in the other corners of the stepper motor (near the flat cable that can't be seen in that pic) looks either dirty or rusty (slightly red).
What can i use to give the metal back its former shiny color or to clean the stepper motor near the cable?
Can i use 90% ethanol?
In the pic i now posted that's how it should look like but the other is what mine is like.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like oxidation (surface rust) to me. If you really want to clean it (I know I would) then a light sanding with a fine grit should be all that's needed. Maybe a wet emery cloth. Then rinse with IPA (no water content).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 5 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-04-17, 21:42:

Looks like oxidation (surface rust) to me. If you really want to clean it (I know I would) then a light sanding with a fine grit should be all that's needed. Maybe a wet emery cloth. Then rinse with IPA (no water content).

Second that

Reply 6 of 6, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dirt and dust inside the drive - pretty normal for that age and use, in fact other than rust it's not all that dirty. Compressed air might do the job if the dirt is not "cigarette glaze" (sadly, if often is) or otherwise very sticky. Heads might need cleaning as well - I'd do it anyway, unless you've never cleaned anything fragile in your life, in which case maybe practise w IPA soaked Q-tips on something else first.

Stepper motor could use some more cleaning, as does the case - if you do this, clean the head afterwards (or clean them again) to prevent any loose dirt from migrating and destroying your floppies. If the stepper motor is not frozen it'll work. If rusty inside it'll wear itself out way faster but you can't do anything about that without total disassembly - and I do not recommend it if you don't have the skills and tools to realign the drive properly afterwards. See those two screws with blue paint that keep the stepper attached to the case? Do not remove those. The motor has to be in this exact spot, we are talking fractions of milimeter precision.

On this model there is a way to detach the floppy clamping arm without disturbing the upper head alignment but even that can cause it to sit somewhat crooked when reassembled, so if you don't know how to tell and how to fix that, don't remove that either. On the other hand I started reparing and cleaning floppy drives with this particular TEAC series so I know it well - if you are looking for a project rather then immediately working drive, you can take it all apart and make it shiny. You will need a scope and a good, pre-recorded 5.25" HD floppy to do the full mechanical calibration aferwards.

One more thing, if you clean the stepper you can apply a light coat of WD40 to it, do not spray directly, rather use a cloth or something (more Q-tips) to transfer the WD40. I do that sometimes, it tends to fill in the gaps between the metal plates that form the magnetic core and prevents further rusting due to moisture. Can be done 2 or 3 times if there is a lot of rust. One last thing, a lot of various "guides" to floppy drive repair pretty much tell you to dump grease everywehre - please don't do that. It will kinda work, for a year or two, then all the sticky grease will attract so much dirt it'll get worse than it is now, and be even harder to clean properly.