VOGONS

First post, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know not all PS/2 mice work in serial mode, but this mouse specially says "Serial-Mouse Port Compatible" and also lists 12v power usage (and 5v) which I believe is serial-only. v2.0 Part No 58264

I'd tried using a PS/2 to serial adapter I found in a drawer and it didn't work, so I bought a new one to be safe, still not working - details from listing below.

It works fine in PS/2 mode, but is not detected on the two PC's (486 and P 233) I've tried using the MS Mouse 9.01 driver and CuteMouse. I know the serial port is good because I've used a wiModem232 on it.

Is there something special about the PS/2 adapter on these mice, or anything else I can try?

Mouse adapter for PS/2 mouse to Serial DB-9 Port.
These work on only mouses that are dual type.
Female PS/2 Mini-DIN 6 to Female DB-9

Wiring Format
MiniDin-6 F ------ DB-9 F
1-------------------1
3-------------------3,9
4-------------------2,5,7
5-------------------6
G-------------------G

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no standard for PS/2 to serial adapters. Every manufacturer that made backwards compatible mouses had their own different pinout. If you can't find the one that came with the mouse you might be out of luck unless you just keep buying them randomly and get lucky

Reply 2 of 12, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a go at working out the wiring for a MS 45717 PS/2 mouse, which is also serial port compatible: Re: Microsoft PS/2 to serial pinout?

But there's no guarantee that Microsoft used the same pinout for different mice.

Reply 3 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps instead of adapting the mouse to serial, you can mod the motherboard for ps/2?

Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller

Reply 4 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look for a Microsoft branded adapter, If I had to guess the correct one for that mouse is labeled "68666" (just a guess due to the cable matching the color of these particular adapters). But keep in mind that there are differences even between Microsoft's own adapters. I have a MS Basic Mouse from the late '90s and it only works with the adapter that came in the box, a couple of older MS branded adapters I have do not work at all.

Reply 5 of 12, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all - I'd assumed it was a standard, makes sense it's more a workaround at the manufacturer level. I thought it was a little weird they gave the pinout for the adapter on the item listing, but now I'm seeing at least a few other pinouts

The 68666 adapter does seem like it maybe it, I see one for sale for cheap so picking it up, will see if it works and note the pinout I find here. Otherwise I'll try wiring up my own adapter

Reply 6 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure it applies to these, but a thing to be aware of is some multi mode mice need to have a button held down at power up to switch modes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 12, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To follow-up, got my 68666 adapter and it didn't work, it does look like they were made for each other , same color, line and dot design

Here is the pinout I was able to come up with, it doesn't quite seem to match the ones from Snufkin

PS/2 Serial
6 NC --> 3 RXD
4 +5V --> 7 CTS
2 NC --> 2 TXD
1 DATA not connected
3 GND --> 5 GND
5 CLK --> 4 DTR + 6 DSR

I did open it up and got a pic, I see some saying it could be four internal wires, some 6, and possibly there are two adapters with same part number. Will keep messing with it

Attachments

Reply 8 of 12, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the adapter you got, it looks like the TX/RX/GND match and it's the +/- 12V and reset signals that are different. The colours of your internal 6 pin connector match the one that was in my mouse, and the PCB revision is the same.

MS_900334122_PCB.jpg
Filename
MS_900334122_PCB.jpg
File size
88.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Some of the resistors are different values and the PIC chip is slightly different: mine is /P308, yours is /P304, so I guess mine has a slightly later firmware, which might change how it handles the signalling.

Even with those differences, it might be worth having a go with the wiring that worked for mine.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, in the end I got a working adapter for it. I bought another mouse that claimed to be NOS, however when I got it it was dirty and I don't even believe even serial compatible. However, it did come with a sealed I assume generic adapter, I'll include a pic anyway, which did work on my original MS Serial-Mouse Port 2.0 mouse. Checking the pinout it's:

PS/2 : DB9
1 not connected to DB9
2 > 2
3 > 5
4 > 7
5 not connected to DB9
6 > 3

these are connected together on same end:

DB9
4 + 6

PS/2
5 + 1

PS/2: pin 1 lower right looking into female connector
DB9: pin 1 upper right looking into female connector

Attachments

Last edited by Jason21 on 2023-11-26, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 12, by Hydrohs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. Unfortunately that didn't work for me either. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong or there's some other wonkiness going on here. I'll have to spend some more time with it when I get a chance.

Reply 12 of 12, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did another check and realized 4+6 are tied together on the DB9 and 5+1 on the PS/2 as well:

PS/2 : DB9
1 not connected to DB9
2 > 2
3 > 5
4 > 7
5 not connected to DB9
6 > 3

these are connected together on same end:

DB9
4 + 6

PS/2
5 + 1