VOGONS

First post, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a FIC VA-503+ SS7 board but I can't get the serial ports working. Up until the Pentium era there was a different pinout for on-board serial, and for some reason FIC kept this older pinout for this board. Some old forum posts mention this:

Make absolutely sure that you are using the ribbon cables provided with the motherboard. Store bought, or cables from another m/b will not work with the 503. -M1pilot, 07-31-2000

A normal motherboard serial pinout:

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

The FIC 503+ pinout:

1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8

More info: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Basically, FIC kept a standard pinout on the motherboard, then the header cable was expected to rearrange the pins to match common serial cables. Which is fine, I just need to rewire my header cable.

But before getting that far I cannot get either port to pass a loopback test. I took some spare header cables and shorted two together, then connected them to pins 2 and 3 on the board. Pins 2 and 3 are always RX and TX under RS-232 and by shorting them together you should be able to see any characters typed locally, like a local echo.

However, with 2 and 3 shorted, there's no echo on Windows 98 (PuTTY, Tera Term, HyperTerminal) or OpenBSD (cu -l /dev/cua00) on either port. Both OSs see the ports and assign them an IRQ and they appear to be working normally. I triple checked the ports are enabled in the BIOS and unplugged everything except for an AGP graphics card. There aren't any IRQ conflicts and I reset the BIOS to defaults.

Does anyone have any ideas to get the ports working?

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    Filename
    headers.jpg
    File size
    111.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • bios.jpg
    Filename
    bios.jpg
    File size
    111.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cosmic wrote on 2022-04-26, 15:40:

But before getting that far I cannot get either port to pass a loopback test. I took some spare header cables and shorted two together, then connected them to pins 2 and 3 on the board. Pins 2 and 3 are always RX and TX under RS-232 and by shorting them together you should be able to see any characters typed locally, like a local echo.

That would depend on the flow control settings.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a FIC board I did "15 rounds" with back in the 90s as regards serial port functionality.... and with the onboard disabled and an ISA multi i/o with only the serial enabled it STILL wouldn't work. Narrowed it down to a BIOS issue in the end, but on that particular board, it did not have a flashable chip, and I hadn't come across hot swapping then, nor in fact did teh interwebs have many useful suggestions or resources for coping with it back then either. So that board went to the scrap/spares box, unsure if it survived the house moves since and will turn up.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 8, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-04-26, 15:46:

That would depend on the flow control settings.

Unfortunately no change between using Xon/Xoff or No Flow Control within Tera Term. :/

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-26, 17:00:

There was a FIC board I did "15 rounds" with back in the 90s

Certainly feels that way with this board, it's been a struggle ever since I got it. :D

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-04-26, 17:00:

Narrowed it down to a BIOS issue in the end

This helped me notice an issue. The sticker on the board says it's revision 1.2A E-O037 but the BIOS version is 1.15JE37, so the BIOS isn't for this revision. I found a bunch of BIOS files for this board online, I'll give one a try. I can't boot with the 1MB onboard cache enabled either so it would be nice if it's the same issue.

Edit: Nevermind, according to the release notes for the current BIOS, it says 1.15 even though it's for 1.2 boards:

Model VA-503+
PCB 1.2A
BIOS Maker AWARD
Version 1.15JE37
Released 1999/8/26
Flash flash73.exe

http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.f … /socket7/va-503+/

Attachments

• bios_version.jpg
    Filename
    bios_version.jpg
    File size
    717.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • pcb_revision.jpg
    Filename
    pcb_revision.jpg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 8, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BIOS updated to latest (JE4333) but no change. I put a multimeter between transmit (pin 3) and signal ground (pin 5) and got +11.18V. I think it's supposed to be -12V when not sending. Holding down a key does lower it to about +10.89V. Without an oscilloscope I don't think I can learn more about what's going on, but the voltages definitely don't seem right. Maybe the UART is bad on this board.

Here's a good source I used in case anyone needs to look later:

https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO-19.html#ss19.1

Attachments

• meter.png
    Filename
    meter.png
    File size
    695.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could always hook it up to another pc with a known working serial port.
Seems like transmit is working, the voltage depends on the key being sent.
You can always take out the board and start tracing which pin is connected to which pin, starting with the connector, going to the 75232, and going further to the W83877TF.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 6 of 8, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested the pinout from my FIC VA-503+ cable. I hope this helps.
Edit: My FIC VA-503+ is revision 1.2A

FICserial.jpg
Filename
FICserial.jpg
File size
260.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aitotat wrote on 2022-04-28, 13:24:

FICserial.jpg

Well, that could indicate OP is been using the wrong one all this time 😀
typical

Do not ask Why !

Reply 8 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aitotat wrote on 2022-04-28, 13:24:

FICserial.jpg

Good job ! I have a 503+ with original working cables and was going to pull it out but no need now 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun