VOGONS

First post, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'd like to request some advise regarding the RAM supported by the Unichip 367c mainboard:

I got this board some time ago with eight RAM modules equipped. POST said 8 MB ok.
Following the manual this board can support up to 128 MB, so this should be 8x 16 MB.
So I tried out four 4 MB modules which I already had lie around by substituting four of the modules that came with the board. POST still said 8 MB ok. Huh?
By chance I found out that the four modules I removed already were 4 MB modules, so the board originally came with 20 MB total.

Question is, what's wrong?
The 4 MB modules are all three chip modules (one of them for parity).
I have had some reading about refresh cycles and 8 (9) chip compared to 2 (3) chip modules but I don't get it yet. I suppose it is something with the number of address lines used but if the board really supports 128 MB it doesn't make a picture to me.
Does the board require some "special" modules?
If so what kind of respectively what parameter to look for?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to a manual for a different motherboard with UNIchip U4800-VLX chip:
"Memory size from 1MB to 128MB, possible using combinations of 256Kx9, 1Mx9 and 4Mx9, 16Mx9 SIMM modules in two memory bank."
yes some boards are very picky about 9 chip versus 3 chip simms...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 12, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So do you think 9-chip modules would work?
What is the difference between 3-chip and 9-chip modules besides the x4 and x1 organization? Is the difference, and maybe the reason why they are not working (or at least not with the full capacity), the required refresh counter?
Both my 4 MB module types have chips with 2k refresh cycles (GM71C17400AJ6 & MB8117400a-60), hence they should need 11 RAS bits for a complete refresh.
But IF the board would just use 10 RAS bits it would only refresh the first 1 MB, right? But then, how could it ever be able to use 16 MB modules?
All manuals of motherboards with this chipset I have seen at least mention 4 MB modules. Most of them even 16 MB.
There must be a reason, may the board be picky or not...

Reply 3 of 12, by PiotrUU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my Unichip board works with a 3-chip 4M sim.
i have 2 different 4Mx4 kits and it works with any and two at the same time.
I can check the sim type and take a photo of them.
Regards!

Reply 4 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-03, 18:48:

Both my 4 MB module types have chips with 2k refresh cycles (GM71C17400AJ6 & MB8117400a-60), hence they should need 11 RAS bits for a complete refresh.

Huh ? Both your 4mb ?? Your board needs 4 SIMMS per bank and they should always be matching SIMMS.
If you are trying to mix 1Mb and 4Mb SIMM in same bank or even mix 3 chip and 9 chip in same bank that could be most of your problem....;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 12, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-05-05, 00:25:
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-03, 18:48:

Huh ? Both your 4mb ?? Your board needs 4 SIMMS per bank and they should always be matching SIMMS.
If you are trying to mix 1Mb and 4Mb SIMM in same bank or even mix 3 chip and 9 chip in same bank that could be most of your problem....;p

Well I wrote "Both my 4 MB module types" meaning I have two different models of these 4 MB modules (i.e. they have chips from different manufacturers mounted), but 4 of each type.
Of course I have mounted four identical RAM modules per bank.
The problem I described initially is that they are recognized as 4x 1MB instead of 4x 4MB leaving me unclear about the reason for this, as this happens with two different types of these 4MB modules. Sorry if I have been unclear with this.

Reply 6 of 12, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PiotrUU wrote on 2022-05-04, 20:06:
my Unichip board works with a 3-chip 4M sim. i have 2 different 4Mx4 kits and it works with any and two at the same time. I can […]
Show full quote

my Unichip board works with a 3-chip 4M sim.
i have 2 different 4Mx4 kits and it works with any and two at the same time.
I can check the sim type and take a photo of them.
Regards!

Type / photos would be nice. Thanks!

Reply 7 of 12, by PiotrUU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i found a 4m 9-chip sim!
The 9-chip works with the 3-chip.
Photo:

Attachments

• boot_32_res.jpg
    Filename
    boot_32_res.jpg
    File size
    61.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 4m_9c_res.jpg
    Filename
    4m_9c_res.jpg
    File size
    120.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 4m_3c_2_res.jpg
    Filename
    4m_3c_2_res.jpg
    File size
    89.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 4m_3c_1_res.jpg
    Filename
    4m_3c_1_res.jpg
    File size
    93.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 3c_and_9c_res.jpg
    Filename
    3c_and_9c_res.jpg
    File size
    121.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 12, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great, thank you!
So the chips on your 4MB modules are 2k refresh types just like mine. So that shouldn't be the problem...
Strange. Will check the board for any damage in the memory slot area.

Could you report your BIOS revision please? It's unfortunately unreadable because of the flashlight in your first pic.
I don't suspect this will make any difference, but maybe good to know.

Reply 10 of 12, by PiotrUU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

version and bios file
checksum in the vp 390 programmer -> "006C356D"

Attachments

Reply 11 of 12, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PiotrUU wrote on 2022-05-05, 16:57:

128k cache only works up to 16M RAM !

is there any options in bios choosing cache mode write-through and write-back?
128k cache should cache for 16mb in wb mode, and 32mb in wt mode.