VOGONS

First post, by Richy85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So bought a Packard Bell Club 30 recently which would be my third - but this one came with original mouse, keyboard, manuals and books including restore media as well as monitor and speakers etc.
Tbh I was less bothered about the PC so much as I was with getting all the extras to make a full original of all the extras.
But hey ho, figured I'll get it up and running anyways.
Had a dead PSUand HDD so swapped those out and reinstalled the original OEM OS.

Everything seemed to be ok although had some issues originally so re-formatted the drive and reinstalled.
On the loading of the win 98 'getting ready to run windows for the first time screen' some odd stuff started happening with the screen. Eventually the picture just went and was left with a black screen with purple vertical lines.
Tried another monitor and the same.... So figure the on board gfx has just died 🙁
No matter, I put in an ati rage PCI gfx card and all was well with the world however every time I get past the 'getting ready to run windows for the first time' screen I get a darker blue desktop screen with a cursor and it just freezes completely.
I tried reinstallin the OS again but exact same thing....

Any ideas?

Would be nice to try and get it working

Reply 1 of 22, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I assume you've reseated every cable, the RAM, etc.

Then I would try a different PSU and different RAM and see what happens.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard does that thing have? 1999-2003 era PB systems used motherboards (mainly MSI) that were rather vulnerable to capacitor plague. If you have some bad caps around your board's power regulation, it could cause this kind of stuff.

Reply 3 of 22, by Richy85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a packard bell PB-850 mobo. These were made 97-98 I believe.
Caps all look fine as do the cables. Not sure what difference a different PSU would make but when I have one spare (I have some being delievered in the next few days) I will give it a go.

Reply 5 of 22, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oem isn't the best if your fitting out of oem specifications drive geometry wasn't so magical for oem disk images back then. Cap plague and PSU well all caps dry up in 20 years being battery elecorlyte related worth researching.
For me I would probably change caps mosfets and regulators to protect the logic.
There are tecnicians guides on substituting such components with more modern part numbers.
If PSU is oem design I would refurb it but only if it isn't standard design (you can't put a square in an oval shape)
Lastly be sure to put all official patches into windows autopatcher 97 is fantastic for that and try for later drivers if possible.

All up a professional would cost a fortune and I would load software updates with fingers crossed i dont need to solder.

Additionally a disk image program to save your own system image than resorting to the factory oem with your improvements such as powerquest/norton disk image has floppy disk and can be booted on cdrom with more enhanced geometry support. (internet archive has them programs )

Reply 6 of 22, by Richy85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2022-05-04, 17:18:

If the PSU is delivering incorrect voltages, it can cause all kinds of bizarre symptoms.

Good point.

I will take another look at the capacitors on the board and hopefully in the next day or two I will have some other PSU's I can try.

Reply 7 of 22, by Richy85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the caps all look realy good to me?

wOqLvp.jpg
rKyDpe.jpg

And this is the screen right after the win98/starting your pc for the first time-

1KUE5J.jpg

Just hangs instantly.

Have just tried different cables, no joy.

Might try an original version of windows, maybe its a driver issue? But it's doing it in safe mode as well as normal which doesn't bode well for it being a driver problem 🙁

Need to try another hard drive also...

Reply 8 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-05-04, 17:21:

If PSU is oem design I would refurb it but only if it isn't standard design (you can't put a square in an oval shape)

These boards should use standard ATX pinout. Or at least mine did iirc.
I don't know about the formfactor, because I intended to use it with a different case because I didn't like the original one.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 22, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case you don't already have the jumper settings: https://www.dosdays.co.uk/media/biostar/M5SIB/jumpers.txt

When you installed the video card, did you disable the onboard video with the jumpers? Have you run Memtest86?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 10 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-04, 19:48:
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-05-04, 17:21:

These boards should use standard ATX pinout. Or at least mine did iirc.
I don't know about the formfactor, because I intended to use it with a different case because I didn't like the original one.

Can confirm this (PB-850 = GVC FR500) is both regular uATX form factor and works with a regular ATX PSU. I have a mousemat made out of one in my vintage room 😉

The FR500 is from before the big cap plague, but it's certainly old enough for caps in either PSU or motherboard to have dried up. Note that failed caps don't always bulge or leak (but if they *do*, you can be 100% sure they are dead). So first step would be to try a different PSU. If that doesn't solve it, I fear re-capping of the motherboard is still in order.

Reply 13 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richy85 wrote on 2022-05-05, 14:04:

32GB

Tell me where you got this 32GB stick of SDRAM from, I must know now! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 22, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richy85 wrote on 2022-05-04, 19:16:
So the caps all look realy good to me? […]
Show full quote

wOqLvp.jpg
rKyDpe.jpg

Hang on... that's not the PB850/GVC FR500, it's the Biostar M5SIB ('Pegase' in Packard Bell code terms).

Doesn't change much else, same form factor, PSU and potential issues.

Reply 15 of 22, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Richy85 wrote on 2022-05-04, 19:16:

Caps can start to fail even before they show physical issues (bulging, leaking).

The only way to know for sure would be to desolder them and test them individually. At which point you may as well replace anyway.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 16 of 22, by Richy85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-05, 16:23:

32GB

Dunno, came with the motherboard....

BuZHOh.jpg

So, disabled the on board graphics with the jumpers and things did seem to be working! Got to the screen with windows searching for devices but then started encountering some issues, one time it bluescreened and something about writing to c:/ and the other few times it just froze...
Might try with another hard drive when I finally get some. Been using old laptop sata drives with a sata to IDE converter - which has always worked fine for me before, and works well in my other Club 30 but be interesting to try with a normal IDE drive.

Testing mosfets, do I test across the three legs and there should be continuity to ground only on one leg? On one of the mosfets I have continuity on two legs?

Reply 17 of 22, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Richy85 wrote on 2022-05-06, 14:30:
Dunno, came with the motherboard.... […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-05, 16:23:

32GB

Dunno, came with the motherboard....

BuZHOh.jpg

So, disabled the on board graphics with the jumpers and things did seem to be working! Got to the screen with windows searching for devices but then started encountering some issues, one time it bluescreened and something about writing to c:/ and the other few times it just froze...
Might try with another hard drive when I finally get some. Been using old laptop sata drives with a sata to IDE converter - which has always worked fine for me before, and works well in my other Club 30 but be interesting to try with a normal IDE drive.

Testing mosfets, do I test across the three legs and there should be continuity to ground only on one leg? On one of the mosfets I have continuity on two legs?

Are you joking or really not getting it? That would be kinda cute. "GB" is the place you live in, not a unit of storage size for 1990s RAM modules. 😁

Good luck fixing that box. Some good advice above and my two cents, try keeping it simple, remove board from case, use exactly one RAM module, authentic HDD, VGA, etc. - if possible, borrow from your other machines if those are the same generation.

I like jumpers.

Reply 19 of 22, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-06, 14:41:

Are you joking or really not getting it? That would be kinda cute.

Top 10 bruh moments

If you can find another RAM stick, try it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.