VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So ive been really playing around with win 3.11 installing heaps of software like ms office ect.
my issue with win 3.11 is every time i install the win 32 subset or video for windows all my other applications will refuse to open and throw up a general protection fault
this happens with apps like ms office or corel paint or word perfect.

im tying this on my 486 dx 50
not sure is its a hardware problem of a software issue but as soon as i install win32s or video for windows thats it it corrupts all my windows dll files and im forced to start from scratch.
any one got any ideas?

Last edited by vkcpolice on 2022-05-06, 09:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try installing in a different order? One piece of software could be installing an updated file that gets reverted to an older version by VFW / Win32s. The best thing to do would be make a copy of your WINDOWS directory, especially SYSTEM.INI, and maybe CONFIG.SYS / AUTOEXEC.BAT in case there are any changes there. Then if you install VFW / Win32s again and have problems you can compare the broken files with the backed-up versions to look for the cause. Or just restore the backup to save time on reinstalling.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 2 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is virtual memory enabled? Permanent swap file? 32-Bit disk access/32-Bit file access?

Win32s can be very finicky. It's a grand hack. Not sure why VFW causes trouble, though.

Also, which versions?

I'm using the ELSA version of VFW from www.win31.de - it has DCI support among other things.

Also, I'm using the patched files of Win32s. ^^
They cab be found at: http://stephan.win31.de/w32slist.htm

Edit: I also recommend the MicroHouse HDD driver from www.win31.de

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//