VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XCOPY /S *.* D:\BACKUP\ is only copying two folders out of 30 or so on my C: drive.

No error messages, and the two folders are complete with all files.

This is Windows 95. None of the other directory names seem strange or have unusual characters in them, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Reply 1 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are using 95, why not use File Explorer to copy?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 2 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you run this while on C:\> and a simple dir from the same location lists more than 2 folders? Very curious to see how this goes! I guess you also want to see what's going on and not just copy the files.
I don't have any really useful idea but I'd bet it's something silly. Like a needed scandisk, empty folders, attributes, even (sorry) user error

Reply 3 of 7, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are all kinds of reasons why a certain file cannot be read. AFAIK, simple programs like xcopy will just stop without further notice.
(Did not try for quite some time, what is the Norton Commander for?)
So, try to find out what, by the usual working order, would have been the very next file to copied, try that directly.
Or, include /c to carry on upon errors.

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 7, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2022-05-06, 19:18:

So you run this while on C:\> and a simple dir from the same location lists more than 2 folders? Very curious to see how this goes! I guess you also want to see what's going on and not just copy the files.
I don't have any really useful idea but I'd bet it's something silly. Like a needed scandisk, empty folders, attributes, even (sorry) user error

Yes. I'm runnign this in MSDOS mode as well, windows is not loaded.

I assumed it'd be a real simple way to copy the files but no go.

I've subsequently switched to using norton commander to move files but I've never had xcopy just fail to copy folders like this...,

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happened when you tried to copy the missing folders specifically instead of with the *.* ?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!